Coronavirus (No politics)

This is such a big deal. From the FDA briefing slides
View attachment 422651
Having a pill that decreases risk of death to zero in high risk people is so awesome. Can treat all the variants. Unfortunately only enough for 10k treatment courses will be available by the end of January. However if they can ramp up production and can be readily available for all by mid 2022 then hopefully deaths will be rare. Only big problem with this drug is that it interacts with a lot of other meds and its 6 pills a day
From my understanding it has to be taken within 6 days from when a symptoms begin.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Having an opinion about Fauci, or vaccines, that is different then yours does not equate political discussion. Why do you struggle with that so much?
You are not this dense.

This thread discusses the virus, people who have it, how we are all dealing with it, advances in science, medical breakthroughs, etc.

The thread in the politics forum discusses the way governments deal with it on a local, state, national, scale.

It's just not that damn hard y'all.

From my understanding it has to be taken within 6 days from when a symptoms begin.
Yeah pfizer studied the drug using a cutoff of 5 days from symptom onset though pretty sure a doctor still may prescribe it to someone who is very high risk and falls within 5-7 days of symptom onset given it may still have a benefit.
It’s really nice to finally have an FDA EUA approved pill that regardless of what your views on the Covid vaccine are can hopefully be seen as a godsend during this pandemic. Just wish it had come out 6 months sooner.

We have had one death from the omicron variant. He was old and had underlying conditions. Stay healthy, fit and go outdoors, get the jab and this thing is a virtual non factor, but hey, fear sells.
Omicron variant accounts for 73 percent of new Covid cases in U.S.
As of 4 days ago, there were 14 Omicron fatalities... in the whole world.

From what I can find, about 4500 Americans die each year from complications of the common cold. Usually the cold develops into another respiratory illness and dies so the official records do not call it a death from the cold. At current pace, that's more deaths than Omicron will contribute to.

Not getting the jab... and the jab appears ineffective against this strain. OTOH, people who recover and develop antibody memory... have not been getting the other strains. We will see about Omicron.

Not getting the jab... and the jab appears ineffective against this strain. OTOH, people who recover and develop antibody memory... have not been getting the other strains. We will see about Omicron.

My sister and her boyfriend both had Covid 1.0 last April. They live in NYC. They both tested positive this week, likely Omicron. Neither has anything more than a runny nose, no fever.

It's going to happen at some point, and maybe now is that point. The virus is going to mutate enough that neither the vaccine nor natural immunity will ward it off. But if it mutates to a less severe form, then we should be thrilled rather than freaking out and canceling football games.

As of 4 days ago, there were 14 Omicron fatalities... in the whole world.

From what I can find, about 4500 Americans die each year from complications of the common cold. Usually the cold develops into another respiratory illness and dies so the official records do not call it a death from the cold. At current pace, that's more deaths than Omicron will contribute to.

By all accounts, being fully vaccinated does prevent a person infected with the Omicron strain from becoming critically ill with its symptoms. The mass of people who are currently overwhelming occupancy in our nation's intensive care units, are predominantly comprised of the unvaccinated.

By all accounts, being fully vaccinated does prevent a person infected with the Omicron strain from becoming critically ill with its symptoms. The mass of people who are currently overwhelming occupancy in our nation's intensive care units, are predominantly comprised of the unvaccinated.
Thanks Dr. Fouci.

Thanks Dr. Fouci.
The 1st link below is to the Mayo Clinic, which is unaffiliated with Dr. Anthony Fauci. If you know of any health care professionals who are contradicting this assessment, then by all means, post a link to what they are saying. I don't pretend to be an expert myself, and I welcome all professional opinions and perspectives on this subject.

Do COVID-19 vaccines protect against the variants? - Mayo Clinic

From the 2nd paragraph :

"The omicron (B.1.1.529) variant might spread more easily than other variants, including delta. But it's not yet clear if omicron causes more serious disease. It's expected that people who are fully vaccinated likely can get breakthrough infections and spread the virus to others. However, the COVID-19 vaccines are expected to be effective at preventing serious illness. Early research also suggests that a booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine improves protection against severe disease caused by omicron, according to Pfizer. This variant also might reduce the effectiveness of some antibody treatments."

This 2nd link is to an article on Bloomberg.com, and it concerns the flood of unvaccinated COVID patients, currently occupying beds across our nation's intensive care units.

The Unvaccinated Are Pushing Hospitals Past the Brink

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
The 1st link below is to the Mayo Clinic, which is unaffiliated with Dr. Anthony Fauci. If you know of any health care professionals who are contradicting this assessment, then by all means, post a link to what they are saying. I don't pretend to be an expert myself, and I welcome all professional opinions and perspectives on this subject.

From the 2nd paragraph :

"The omicron (B.1.1.529) variant might spread more easily than other variants, including delta. But it's not yet clear if omicron causes more serious disease. It's expected that people who are fully vaccinated likely can get breakthrough infections and spread the virus to others. However, the COVID-19 vaccines are expected to be effective at preventing serious illness. Early research also suggests that a booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine improves protection against severe disease caused by omicron, according to Pfizer. This variant also might reduce the effectiveness of some antibody treatments."

This 2nd link is to an article on Bloomberg.com, and it concerns the flood of unvaccinated COVID patients, currently occupying beds across our nation's intensive care units.

Get our volnation site back to talking about football! Plenty of medical professionals are saying don’t get the jab. My doctors here in Fl advise no jab. There’s many reasons I won’t get it.
Now let’s talk football!! H who cares about T AM. I live in Jacksonville and would love to watch my Vols here, but we didn’t get chosen. Hope the bowl loses boatloads of money

Laying aside all our stupid VN snarkiness and trash talk aside for a moment...

Please pray for my wifes family, we finally persuaded my very frail mother-in-law to get vaxxed in late August while she was staying with us in Kentucky...but two of my wifes brothers and sister and their families that live down there refused to get the shot..now every last one of them has Covid along with most of their church. We were going down tommorow night for the weekend, but we are going to have leave today instead to go get the MiL and bring her back up here and take care of her while they all quarantine.

As aggravated as I am at their stubborn ignorance, they are all really good humans and I love them dearly..I pray that they all make it, every one of them has pretty bad health issues of one kind or another, and I pray that my Mil doesn’t get it, and if she does that the vaccine does it's job...for myself I don't want us to get it again, but somebody has to care for her, she can not take care of herself anymore.

Appreciate the prayers in advance.

From the 2nd paragraph :

Bloomberg? LOL Helping Biden and Fauci demonize the unvaccinated is surprising to you some how? The actual DATA shows that most people regardless of their vax status are NOT getting severely ill with Omicron. It has been that way since it was first detected. South Africa now has population data showing the same thing and NO fatalities there.

I keep up with Missouri data because it is where I work and live. As of just a few moments ago, 2.37% of fully vaxed people in MO have had confirmed infections. Remember, the vaccines just became available earlier this year. About .02% of those vaxed who got the virus have died. SINCE THE PANDEMIC BEGAN only .99% of those who have had and recovered from Covid have been reinfected. That number has grown but at a slower rate than vaxed. And you must remember that not everyone who has and recovers from Covid acquires immunity. A study earlier in the year of around 70 people confirmed to have acquired antibody memory... showed that NONE had been reinfected.

The % of new cases among the vaxed compared to unvaxed was growing even prior to Omicron as well as the % of deaths. Earlier in the year, about 11% of new infections in my county were fully vaxed. That number is now at 15% and growing.

The quote you posted doesn't come close to proving your point. Words like "expected" and "likely" don't indicate data based claims. And Pfizer's claims about its vaccine following its previous claims about effectiveness and side effects are hardly trustworthy.

Last edited:
By all accounts, being fully vaccinated does prevent a person infected with the Omicron strain from becoming critically ill with its symptoms.
Which accounts are those? By LITERALLY all accounts... almost no one is getting critically ill with Omicron. There has been one US death- an elderly man with many comorbidities. As of 12/18, there had been 14 Omicron related deaths in the entire world. South Africa was ground zero for Omicron and had VERY few people even hospitalized... if any.

The mass of people who are currently overwhelming occupancy in our nation's intensive care units, are predominantly comprised of the unvaccinated.
Show the proof and then show the proof that Omicron is responsible. What the media has done so far is take local outbreaks and the VERY short term strain they put on medical resources, multiplied it by the speed at which Omicron spreads, and PRESTO... something to scare people like you with.

My plant has reached 21 months now with NO transmissions at work. Not a single one. We never "masked up". I doubt we have 50% immunization. Guys have caught Covid outside of work.... and come to work before recognizing their symptoms. We have people working in close quarters for 12 hour shifts. But unlike those you seem to be some impressed with... we simply "followed the science". We installed virus killing air filtration for all of our indoor spaces. I confirmed it with a lab test that showed no Covid in the covered areas. Our guys used common sense about how close they got to each other in open spaces. That's it. Simple. Effective. The spread of the virus was ALWAYS dependent on closed indoor spaces with recirculated HVAC air. The "science" says if you kill it before viral load builds in the air... people don't get sick.

FWIW - the way Mizzou lost was simply outstanding. Listening to the dimwit announcing made it even more so. It was classic doofusness. So glad Army drove a stake right through their hearts on that last drive. Put the passing QB in, run simple patterns and take it right down the field with a minute to play with a couple QB draws. Drink has some really hysterical Beamer in him. Sign him up for a long stay, Mizzou. While you are at it extend Zo's contract.

How is it possible that 49 customers and staff on a RC cruise ship caught the COVID, which had a 100% vaccination rate and were 100% negative antigen tested prior to embarking. McGill - what say you?

FWIW - the way Mizzou lost was simply outstanding. Listening to the dimwit announcing made it even more so. It was classic doofusness. So glad Army drove a stake right through their hearts on that last drive. Put the passing QB in, run simple patterns and take it right down the field with a minute to play with a couple QB draws. Drink has some really hysterical Beamer in him. Sign him up for a long stay, Mizzou. While you are at it extend Zo's contract.

How is it possible that 49 customers and staff on a RC cruise ship caught the COVID, which had a 100% vaccination rate and were 100% negative antigen tested prior to embarking. McGill - what say you?

The more important question here is.... Who cares?

Get our volnation site back to talking about football! Plenty of medical professionals are saying don’t get the jab. My doctors here in Fl advise no jab. There’s many reasons I won’t get it.
Now let’s talk football!! H who cares about T AM. I live in Jacksonville and would love to watch my Vols here, but we didn’t get chosen. Hope the bowl loses boatloads of money
Can you provide a link to information which explains that rationale? And like it or not, COVID with its variants, is relevant subject matter to whether or not football will even be played.

Laying aside all our stupid VN snarkiness and trash talk aside for a moment...

Please pray for my wifes family, we finally persuaded my very frail mother-in-law to get vaxxed in late August while she was staying with us in Kentucky...but two of my wifes brothers and sister and their families that live down there refused to get the shot..now every last one of them has Covid along with most of their church. We were going down tommorow night for the weekend, but we are going to have leave today instead to go get the MiL and bring her back up here and take care of her while they all quarantine.

As aggravated as I am at their stubborn ignorance, they are all really good humans and I love them dearly..I pray that they all make it, every one of them has pretty bad health issues of one kind or another, and I pray that my Mil doesn’t get it, and if she does that the vaccine does it's job...for myself I don't want us to get it again, but somebody has to care for her, she can not take care of herself anymore.

Appreciate the prayers in advance.
A significant portion of the population believes that the shots are killing people and are scared of them with no proof. While the majority of their countrymen have had two or three jabs and are perfectly fine. But aren’t scared of the virus that’s actively killing more than a thousand Americans per day. It’s the most bizarre thing.

Bloomberg? LOL Helping Biden and Fauci demonize the unvaccinated is surprising to you some how? The actual DATA shows that few people regardless of their vax status are NOT getting severely ill with Omicron. It has been that way since it was first detected. South Africa now has population data showing the same thing and NO fatalities there.

I keep up with Missouri data because it is where I work and live. As of just a few moments ago, 2.37% of fully vaxed people in MO have had confirmed infections. Remember, the vaccines just became available earlier this year. About .02% of those vaxed who got the virus have died. SINCE THE PANDEMIC BEGAN only .99% of those who have had and recovered from Covid have been reinfected. That number has grown but at a slower rate than vaxed. And you must remember that not everyone who has and recovers from Covid acquires immunity. A study earlier in the year of around 70 people confirmed to have acquired antibody memory... showed that NONE had been reinfected.

The % of new cases among the vaxed compared to unvaxed was growing even prior to Omicron as well as the % of deaths. Earlier in the year, about 11% of new infections in my county were fully vaxed. That number is now at 15% and growing.

The quote you posted doesn't come close to proving your point. Words like "expected" and "likely" don't indicate data based claims. And Pfizer's claims about its vaccine following its previous claims about effectiveness and side effects are hardly trustworthy.
Although I'm already fully vaccinated myself, I'm open to reading professional health care opinions which oppose COVID vaccination. The fact is, such opinions are hard to find. If you can provide a link to anything, I would be interested in reading it and give it a look.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Although I'm already fully vaccinated myself, I'm open to reading professional health care opinions which oppose COVID vaccination. The fact is, such opinions are hard to find. If you can provide a link to anything, I would be interested in reading it and give it a look.
No they aren't. A simple Google search brings up a bunch. They're only "hard to find" if your source and the limits of your information are politicians, Fauci, and the MSM.

Here's one I found in about 5 seconds.

Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19
ut and
The CDC's official line is that we haven't had enough time to draw conclusions about natural immunity.... yet they push vaccinations that have existed less than half as long declaring them "safe and effective"?

VN Store

Back