'22 FL DT Ahmad Moten (Miami commit)

And honestly most of our games the entire two deep gets first team numbers rep wise with just the overall volume of plays theyre on the field.
Just make a few more third and fourth down stops, and the number of plays would be cut waaaaaay down...plus our offense would score even more.

Tennessee signed 20 players to its 2022 recruiting class on Early Signing Day last week, but the Vols might not be entirely done with their pursuit of prospects in this class. One of them is planning to take an official visit to Tennessee in January. Defensive lineman Ahmad Moten, the three-star prospect out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., told Jeremy Werner of Illini Inquirer (the 247Sports site covering Illinois) on Saturday that he's scheduled an official visit to Knoxville the weekend of Jan. 14.

Moten, the 6-foot-3, 290-pounder out of Cardinal Gibbons High School, took an official visit to Iowa State in December and also is scheduled to go to Oklahoma the week after his visit to Tennessee next month.

He is rated a three-star prospect and ranked the No. 568 overall player and No. 81 defensive lineman in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2022 class, but his list of scholarship offers includes Florida, LSU, Kentucky, Oregon, Miami, Georgia Tech and North Carolina, among others after his recruitment picked up in November. Defensive line coach Rodney Garner and the Vols gave Moten an offer on Nov. 17. Moten tweeted on Sunday that he was planning to announce his top five schools on Tuesday.

”Look who the DL coach is (Rodney Garner); he coached Derrick Brown when he was at Auburn,” Moten said of Tennessee. “My dad really likes it too. I was (Oklahoma) Coach (Brent) Venables first offer, so that means a lot.”

Tennessee had Garner and linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary visit Moten during each of the first two weeks of December and he long has planned to extend his recruitment past the Early Signing Period and make a decision by National Signing Day in February.

Moten told 247Sports Southeast recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins earlier this month that Garner was one of his main attractions with Tennessee.

”I like (Coach Gardner) a lot,“ Moten said. ”I used to watch Derrick Brown when I was in 9th and 10th grade and he coached him. That's big, you feel me? That Auburn squad was crazy. So, it's a lot off stuff. I'm taking a lot of stuff into consideration (with these schools). Especially, the coaches resumes and who they developed because I want to be like that guy or better than that guy.“
-Brown

Beyond the 20-offer mark, the focus along the recruiting trail is narrowing. One of five official visits has been taken. Moten commented on his time in Ames on Dec. 10 with Iowa State. “I had fun on my official visit,” Moten said. “It was one of the best experiences I’ve had going to a college. I had a good time there. It was a cool experience, I had fun being out with the guys.”

One down, potentially four more to go. The next two are set. “Tennessee, that’ll be my next one and Oklahoma is planned after that,” Moten stated. On Nov. 17, Moten announced his offer from the Volunteers. From interest to offer and now an official visit, Moten shared why he is interested in Tennessee’s program.

“It is their coaches and how they can develop me,” Moten said. “Their defensive line coach, coach Rodney Garner, he coached Derrick Brown (Carolina Panthers). I used to watch Derrick Brown (at Auburn) every day. That’s a good thing for me.”

Adding to Moten’s growing legendary status was longtime Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables making Moten his first offer as head coach at Oklahoma on Dec. 7.

Recruiting him to be a Tiger and now a Sooner, the consistent effort is paying off. “He was recruiting me at Clemson and all his guys,” Moten stated. “When they all moved to Oklahoma, I was his first offer at Oklahoma, that says a lot.”

College football fans know of three schools, Iowa State, Tennessee and Oklahoma, that Moten seems to like. Sunday night, the top prospect announced his top-five will be announced on Tuesday. Looking to see if there will be any shakeups in his top-five and which teams make the final cut will have fans going onto social media throughout the day on Tuesday eagerly awaiting an update.

- Ryan Wright, Rivals

VN Store

Back