Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

A tackle who missed several games due to injuries is NOT worth a huge amount of the NIL pot. Some of you think money is like leaves on trees but it’s not. Theres only so much out there for this purpose.
Why not think that way. Our Federal Government believes that way and bases a lot of there decision based on that logic.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Funny enough, we as a fan base have been whining for over a decade about hiring “bargain basement” coaches, while gnashing teeth over huge buyouts for the previous bargain basement staff that was fired. Rinse, repeat every 3 years.

When the new google coach is trotted out……

Half Volnation: “Why don’t we hire a big name?”

Other half: “Where is the money coming from big boy? Pony up! You going to pay the contracts and buyouts?”

Also Volnation: “Pay the pretty decent OL guy 600,000 to hang around another year!”

Looney tunes……

He’s not worth that. We can buy better for that kind of money. NIL going to be the end of College football.
Man, I'm with a lot of folks in this thread who hate the way this thing is going, but gotta face the reality that it IS going this way.*

And given that, this is a whole new dynamic: college coaches overtly balancing $$$ value in their metrics. Is this young man worth paying X for, or can I get his equivalent for less than X in other places?

* I do not agree that "NIL is going to be the end of college football." College football will survive--thrive, even, as long as we continue to have this much free time and spare wealth to throw at a hobby. It just won't be the SAME college football as it was in its first 120 years.

p.s. I do think Cade's marketing ploy makes sense. Just maybe not for him. This is the kind of once-a-year (at most) approach only the team's franchise player can get away with. This year, Hendon would've been able to get away with it. Cade isn't at that level. He's a very good offensive lineman, and offensive linemen are important. But he's not the franchise player. And won't get nearly what he's jotting down as his opening position. He probably knows that going in, is just starting high-side.

p.p.s. I just surprised myself, using the term 'franchise player.' I mean, that's what it feels like, right? The guy we build our franchise around. But then, thinking it through, the fit to college football is so tenuous. By the time we know a fella is the one we build the franchise around, he's probably a junior or maybe even a senior, probably only has one, maybe two more years of eligibility. So we're not building the franchise's future around him the way they do in the pros, just the next season (or maybe two seasons). It's all very ephemeral for such big $$ numbers. *shrug* It's a new world.

p.p.p.s. All that begs the question: will college teams gain the ability (eventually, I mean...the time and landscape certainly aren't yet ripe for this discussion) to declare a franchise player and protect them from being poached? Say, perhaps, that the transfer portal is closed for the declared player? Something akin to what the NFL has put in place? I know, I know, some big obstacles to that in college football, particularly at this point in time when the protections are all being extended in the players' direction. But something that could come up one day, once the college game is more maturely professionalized.

Last edited:
Don’t whine when we don’t compete anytime soon if we keep doing things old school.

I hate it, but if you aren’t willing to play this game then we may as well end settling for where we are currently because we will never rise above mediocrity again.

Kids don’t care about what we were taught to care about. Kids have no pride in attending their home state university anymore. They don’t care.

I hate it. It makes me sick, but that’s where we are.

This is a situation where NIL gets really interesting and an angle I hadn't considered. Big opportunity here for universities to hang on to studs for an extra season. I think the big guys should pony up 3-400k and he will stay to be with his bro for a year.
It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.

A tackle who missed several games due to injuries is NOT worth a huge amount of the NIL pot. Some of you think money is like leaves on trees but it’s not. Theres only so much out there for this purpose.

LOL, a multi season starting OL in the SEC who has never needed surgery, missed a little time one season with an ankle sprain and was graded with only one sack on a team with tons of sacks sounds pretty valuable. Look, I'm a marketing guy, and I don't see the return on a lot of the NIL deals, but some seem to feel it's worth a shot, and I'm sure others feel good being able to legally toss pretty serious money at a star on their favorite team.

JMO, but when NFL OL coaches start grading college linemen, Cade will move up and be in demand.

Reactions: 08Vol
4th round salary in 2020 ranges between $733,000-$835,000 per yr. Mays isn’t worth that, not that marketable and the economy here isn’t that big to support 1 player pulling that much out of the NIL market without it really impacting a lot of other players.

4th round salary in 2020 ranges between $733,000-$835,000 per yr. Mays isn’t worth that, not that marketable and the economy here isn’t that big to support 1 player pulling that much out of the NIL market without it really impacting a lot of other players.

Then get ready for UT to be mediocre, at best, forever. I hate NIL, the portal and expanded playoffs, but that's the game now.

It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.

Imagine being Pilot Corp. Your customers are truckers and travelers across a huge portion of the United States. You unveil your new marketing campaign for all to marvel out and it's a life-size cutout of Cade Mays holding some snacks. He probably can't be in VOLS gear (if I understand the rules correctly) and hardly anyone outside of TN will recognize him.

Money well spent?

I like Cade but what he is after is best found in the NFL. Most of these high-dollar deals just do not make sense. If you are loaded and just want the best players on your team, have no one to answer to (like bosses / shareholders) then sling that cash. Most businesses however will not see the value in this.

Then get ready for UT to be mediocre, at best, forever. I hate NIL, the portal and expanded playoffs, but that's the game now.

You realize you’re promoting a RT to be paid almost as much as Saban claims their Heisman winning QB got who, BTW, is from California? Economically, this just doesn’t make sense. Cade probably knows that and he can say “ money is why I’m leaving”. His father is in financial planning & I suspect he knows this isn’t feasible. If Tennessee has a $5 mil NIL pool, they can’t spend almost 20% on a RT. Sorry

Imagine being Pilot Corp. Your customers are truckers and travelers across a huge portion of the United States. You unveil your new marketing campaign for all to marvel out and it's a life-size cutout of Cade Mays holding some snacks. He probably can't be in VOLS gear (if I understand the rules correctly) and hardly anyone outside of TN will recognize him.

Money well spent?

I like Cade but what he is after is best found in the NFL. Most of these high-dollar deals just do not make sense. If you are loaded and just want the best players on your team, have no one to answer to (like bosses / shareholders) then sling that cash. Most businesses however will not see the value in this.
Don’t forgot about Cleveland Ohio and with the Browns, surely the owner can come up with some sort of NIL since he is sorta a big deal in Tennessee.

Businesses that have that kind of money to toss didn't get there by making bad investments. If he wants in the neighborhood of 700K, then he needs to generate much more than that for the company laying it out. I don't see it happening.

Depends on if the owner of that business (let's say Pilot) has more money than Carter has little pills and wants a quality starting right tackle playing at UT next yr rather than starting his NFL career. Some NIL deals make no sense at all. (Paying a kid that hasn't had a successful college season hundreds of thousands) Mayes is a case where paying his NFL market value actually makes sense. If the kid wants to stay but also understands he can get the clock started on a NFL pension plus sign a multi million dollar contract if he leaves, I'd say finding such a NIL deal could be a win win.

At least it’s all on the table now. We are about to find out how serious our Billionaires are about Vol football. What kind of ROI do most NIL deals expect?

Reactions: 08Vol
Go to the NFL Cade. We love that you came back but don't extort us for money.

Edit: don't get me wrong I like Cade but we are not winning the east with or without him next year. If it was Hooker looking for money I might say pay the man because he makes such a huge difference in our team next year. Just my $.02
Yeah Hooker is worth a couple million.

There’s needs a be a cap limit per year on NIL. Let’s say you put a cap on it if about $75,000 a year. If you go over that cap then you are ineligible and amateur status is gone. If these players want high deals like NFL players then the schools should be able to
Pay them and let the players pay for there own schooling and room and board then. These players should be made to pay taxes in earned income like anyone else does for whatever the tax rate is for that state.

Much easier to collect funds to pay skill players who routinely appear on the highlight reel. linemen are critical but the average fan (myself included) isn’t normally focusing on the intricacies of blocks and stunts during a play. You only notice a lineman normally when they screw up and allow a sack or tackle for loss. Not saying that is fair, but it is the reality of the game.

There’s needs a be a cap limit per year on NIL. Let’s say you put a cap on it if about $75,000 a year. If you go over that cap then you are ineligible and amateur status is gone. If these players want high deals like NFL players then the schools should be able to
Pay them and let the players pay for there own schooling and room and board then. These players should be made to pay taxes in earned income like anyone else does for whatever the tax rate is for that state.
It’s not fair to cap it. Why would you tell someone they are only allowed to make a certain amount of money? I think this stuff will be the demise of college football as we know it, but I certainly don’t ever want to limit someone’s income as long as they aren’t hurting people making that money.

And then the Alabama’s and Georgia’s of the world go RIGHT BACK to using bag men to exceed the 75k cap and we are right back where we were. The money is going to end up in the player’s pockets regardless and the rich programs will still get their pick of the litter. At least the NIL rules keep the payments visible so we can see the corruption out in the open.

VN Store

Back