Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

In the 90s there was a little bar on lake Ave about where the graduate hotel is now. It had a deck where we drank many a $1 pbr. Anyone remember the name?

Reactions: MAD
What a shame. It was very elegant hotel at one time when it was the Hyatt. I can remember going to Christmas events there as a kid and it was always a treat to ride the elevator.
I used to go there in the late 70's on New Years Eve and it would be packed and they would have a bar set up at both ends downstairs and it
was very elegant back then, it is a shame to see it run down now.

Can anyone help me remember the name of the Disco in the mid to late 70’s on the strip where Studio X is today?

The building is still there and vacant. There have been a couple of proposals to refurbish it as a hotel, and another to convert it into elderly assisted living. None of those have come about.

It was most recently open as a hotel as Hotel Knoxville. HK went out of business in March 2020 and the property was sold at auction in May 2020. It was sold again to its current owners later in 2020.

There has been no serious discussion of demolishing the building, at least nothing in the Knoxville media. I did see in Knoxnews.com that the owners have submitted a new proposal to the City, but the article is subscriber-only.

View attachment 412723

June 29, 2019 photo from the Knoxnews site, credit to Ruth White.
M

My ex was a waitress at the Hyatt in the 70's. She swears she saw Joe Cocker being brought in on a stretcher after his show in K'town.

The building is still there and vacant. There have been a couple of proposals to refurbish it as a hotel, and another to convert it into elderly assisted living. None of those have come about.

It was most recently open as a hotel as Hotel Knoxville. HK went out of business in March 2020 and the property was sold at auction in May 2020. It was sold again to its current owners later in 2020.

There has been no serious discussion of demolishing the building, at least nothing in the Knoxville media. I did see in Knoxnews.com that the owners have submitted a new proposal to the City, but the article is subscriber-only.

View attachment 412723

June 29, 2019 photo from the Knoxnews site, credit to Ruth White.

I worked in the business center there in '93-'94. UT hosted the NCAA regionals in '94. I met Greg Gumble from CBS and became buds with Gene Keady's secretary.

Reactions: MAD
Abuelos TexMex at Turkey Creek......Dammm. Best TexMex I've found in TN. Wife, I and friends use to drive about 1.5 each way every other month to get our "fix". Really hated to see it go.
But, I'm told there is another one in Chattanooga..will have to try it out

VN Store

Back