Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

Riley couldn’t win it all at OK in the b-12…….he knew very well he would never get it done in the SEC.

This was merely a career save. He jumped ship, before he could be fired a couple years from now.

He may not be able to win it all at SC, but he’ll have a much easier time trying.

He must be playing chess then cause OU is a full 3-4 seasons away from joining the league.....
Doesn’t matter if it’s 3-4 years or 3-4 days. What teams are always in the top 5, top 10, top 25. How many SEC teams are going bowling this year? Which teams are moving up and getting better?
Yeah Saban will retire someday, maybe 3-4 years, but they are stocked and loaded. same with Georgia, Florida will only get better, same with LSU, KY has been improving, and now we have a coach that has a team bought in to lay the foundation for the future. Vandy, unfortunately will always be Vandy, sorry Commodores. It is what it is.
So yeah, go work at a place with beautiful weather and an easy schedule to make it into the playoffs.
Makes perfect sense.

Not to discredit either program, both great, but OK for USC seems like a lateral move for Riley. Scared that he won’t sustain the same level of success in the SEC perhaps?
It could be his wife and two young daughters prefer the beaches of S Cal vs mall shopping in Norman.

I think Heupel recognizes what he’s got here and has much better morals than Lane. I believe he stays ultimately. If I was in his shoes and that’s where I won a National Championship and there offering big money to come into an awesome situation with Oklahoma’s talent and known brand. It would be hard to say no, but I believe he loves Tn too much and stays here.

Reactions: AdoptedVOL
What has Heupel ever done as a head coach to warrant Oklahoma thinking he is their man? Success at UCF? A good solid 7-5 year at Tennessee? IMHO, he's done nothing to give them any degree of certainty that he can keep their elite level going. If Saban left Bama, would they look at Heupel? Or Clemson if Dabo left? Or Ohio State if their coach left? Or Michigan? Is LSU looking at Heupel? If they aren't, why would Oklahoma?
He’s done a whole lot more than Lincoln Riley had done before Oklahoma hired Riley. So, there’s that.

VN Store

Back