Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points, and you aren't wrong, but Florida and LSU are still better jobs.

Regarding recruiting - LSU and Florida have just as much access to elite recruits. You could even argue that LSU has greater access to recruits because they are THE program in the state of Louisiana, which is a football talent hotbed.

USC upgraded at AD, sure. But a scarecrow wearing a USC polo would be an upgrade from Lynn Swann.

What has changed since USC was last elite in football? Los Angeles has two pro football teams now. USC is no longer the big show. In Los Angeles you are competing with the Rams, the Chargers, the Lakers, Angels, Dodgers, UCLA, the beach, major city entertainment and attractions.

I think the argument could be made to put USC in the same tier as Florida (probably with Texas too). But that tier is squarely underneath Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, and LSU.

Three different coaches have won a championship at LSU in the past 2 decades. This proves that everything is in place to win there.

All this is highly subjective and their are so many metrics to use, but I still say that USC is the better job of the 3 or at least tied with LSU, with Florida being 3rd behind them due to current state (winning your division may not even be enough to save your job at Florida).

LSU may be THE program within state lines, but look at how many major programs (many of which have staff with direct ties to Louisiana) are within a 9 hour drive of the place: Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and the list goes on. Louisiana commands a high degree of in-state loyalty, but you are still swimming with a lot of sharks. Meanwhile, San Diego St, Utah, and BYU are the only programs in the current top 25 that are within a 12 hour drive of USC. USC literally has their pick of all that local talent.

Ok. So not even considering the past successes of USC’s new AD and that LSU’s AD is going to have to pay Orgeron $17 million to walk away because he just gave him a huge extension less than 2 years ago (I don’t know whether to consider the way they’ve handled their basketball issues is a positive or a negative, to be honest), let’s give points for leadership to LSU. Although better than us (which isn’t saying much), Florida’s football program has been in almost as much disarray as anything at USC since Urban Meyer left.

USC has always been the 3rd most popular sports program at best in that city, even when they were at their most elite. That is nothing new. And UCLA in football is more of an afterthought now than ever.

The argument could also be made to put USC ahead of everybody on your list except Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia - whom EVERYONE else is chasing currently. And much of that also has to do with the impact of current or recent HC’s. Nobody would have put Bama ahead of USC prior to Saban being there. I am not a USC fan at all, but literally THE only missing piece to their football program at the moment is the right HC.

Ok, so 3 national championships in the last 20 years vs 2. Again, slight edge to LSU. Could the same three coaching staffs duplicate that at USC? Saban definitely could, and anybody immediately following would have enough talent left in the cupboard to win one too.

Again all this is subjective, but if I’m an HC at that level with my pick of the 3, I go with USC unless I’ve got personal ties to one of the other schools/areas.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 242969939_161354206162568_295236387116489284_n.jpg
    242969939_161354206162568_295236387116489284_n.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 243106187_560861715151063_6941595028138791175_n.jpg
    243106187_560861715151063_6941595028138791175_n.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 251345530_2969012643414538_271410309890580485_n.jpg
    251345530_2969012643414538_271410309890580485_n.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 7
If Stoops leaves, UK should snatch up Mullen. I'm surprised that VT hasn't given Mullen serious consideration. Either of those schools would do very well to hire Mullen.

What makes Mullen bad for major programs is what makes him great for mid-level programs - he isn't crazy about recruiting the blue chips, but can scout, recruit, and develop "his guys." He still stole blue chips from Ole Miss every now and then when he was at State (like Simmons). The KY/OH and VA/MD/NC areas are full of those guys.

Mullen is very similar to Fuente in that neither are good recruiters. Fuente isn’t goofy like Mullen, but his personality is not such to do the things you need to recruit at a high level. VTech will go in a different direction.

All this is highly subjective and their are so many metrics to use, but I still say that USC is the better job of the 3 or at least tied with LSU, with Florida being 3rd behind them due to current state (winning your division may not even be enough to save your job at Florida).

LSU may be THE program within state lines, but look at how many major programs (many of which have staff with direct ties to Louisiana) are within a 9 hour drive of the place: Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and the list goes on. Louisiana commands a high degree of in-state loyalty, but you are still swimming with a lot of sharks. Meanwhile, San Diego St, Utah, and BYU are the only programs in the current top 25 that are within a 12 hour drive of USC. USC literally has their pick of all that local talent.

Ok. So not even considering the past successes of USC’s new AD and that LSU’s AD is going to have to pay Orgeron $17 million to walk away because he just gave him a huge extension less than 2 years ago (I don’t know whether to consider the way they’ve handled their basketball issues is a positive or a negative, to be honest), let’s give points for leadership to LSU. Although better than us (which isn’t saying much), Florida’s football program has been in almost as much disarray as anything at USC since Urban Meyer left.

USC has always been the 3rd most popular sports program at best in that city, even when they were at their most elite. That is nothing new. And UCLA in football is more of an afterthought now than ever.

The argument could also be made to put USC ahead of everybody on your list except Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia - whom EVERYONE else is chasing currently. And much of that also has to do with the impact of current or recent HC’s. Nobody would have put Bama ahead of USC prior to Saban being there. I am not a USC fan at all, but literally THE only missing piece to their football program at the moment is the right HC.

Ok, so 3 national championships in the last 20 years vs 2. Again, slight edge to LSU. Could the same three coaching staffs duplicate that at USC? Saban definitely could, and anybody immediately following would have enough talent left in the cupboard to win one too.

Again all this is subjective, but if I’m an HC at that level with my pick of the 3, I go with USC unless I’ve got personal ties to one of the other schools/areas.

By that same logic, look how many elite recruits are within a 9 hour drive of LSU's campus.

USC has the same problem with their talent pool that Florida and Miami have with theirs - the Alabamas and Ohio States have set up shop there and are taking their best players.

We are picking apart two top-10 jobs, no doubt. Everything that I've heard by people that would know best in CFB media and the world of sports agents indicates that LSU is held in higher regard than USC.

Reactions: MrVolton
On 98 dropbacks. 30% of the time. Only 40 of the 98 times did he attempt a pass.

Of the remaining 58 dropbacks, he was sacked 36 times. So I suppose he got away the other 22 times.

Not too surprisingly, but some of those are coverage sacks too I'd bet - his average TTT was 3.6 seconds on pressured dropbacks. On non-pressure dropbacks, he only took 2.2 seconds to throw.

Now on to the good stuff - of his 40 attempts under pressure, he completed 20 for a whopping 457 yards (11.4 YPA 👀) 6 TDs and 0 INTs.

In short (on the downside) and why HH could maybe use another year:

When HH was pressured (30% of the time) he was sacked at a rate of 37%. That seems pretty high. That's taking a sack about every 9 dropbacks...

Bryce Young (mentioned in the post and yes, probably a better overall runner) was pressured even more often - 34% of the time, but only took a sack 16% of those times.

Fwiw Dobbs also had a 16% under pressure sack rate. I don't think it's unreasonable for HH to aspire to a goal such as this. It would improve the offense that much more (even, say, making throwaways, rather than taking sacks) and improve his stock.
I think Hendon has a sort of half second hesitation that causes this...a lot of times he just misses that little window where he could have taken off and got a positive play, but instead he eats grass.

If he were to improve that, he could torch defenses at an even higher rate.

Stoops also has a great incentive program that gets him a bonus AND extension with every bowl that they go to.

He's got a really nice setup.
Being up here I can tell you that Stoops is about to become a victim of his own success. The natives are getting more and more restless with the usual hot start, cold choke finish.

He better get out while he still can, because he is not breaking through that ceiling here.

Being up here I can tell you that Stoops is about to become a victim of his own success. The natives are getting more and more restless with the usual hot start, cold choke finish.

He better get out while he still can, because he is not breaking through that ceiling here.

As long as he beats Louisville and UK basketball gets into the swing of things, he should be good, right?

They could also very much lose against Louisville this weekend. If that happens its going to be interesting around there.
If that happens then we are FOR SURE going to a Florida bowl.

I'd love it.

Their fans might whine and moan, but there's no way that Kentucky would fire Stoops. They could not do better, especially this year. And he just extended his contract again by becoming bowl eligible.

Kentucky has bigger fish to fry, like what to do with Coach Cal.

By that same logic, look how many elite recruits are within a 9 hour drive of LSU's campus.

USC has the same problem with their talent pool that Florida and Miami have with theirs - the Alabamas and Ohio States have set up shop there and are taking their best players.

We are picking apart two top-10 jobs, no doubt. Everything that I've heard by people that would know best in CFB media and the world of sports agents indicates that LSU is held in higher regard than USC.

Yeah I’ve seen a lot that support what you are saying. Still think the impact of current coaching staffs is skewing most of these opinions. Here’s at least one that seems to be looking at the same factors I am. (And yeah, I know it’s Bleacher Report).

Ranking the Best Coaching Jobs in College Football

Reactions: BigSteve09
Yeah I’ve seen a lot that support what you are saying. Still think the impact of current coaching staffs is skewing most of these opinions. Here’s at least one that seems to be looking at the same factors I am. (And yeah, I know it’s Bleacher Report).

Ranking the Best Coaching Jobs in College Football
lmao

You can always depend on 100 coach/program rankings

Stop trying to make USC happen
J6y3e04.gif

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back