Mullen fired at Florida

Could you explain the quote function while I am quoting you? Why are you asking me anything inc how quote function works? lulz
I quoted another person you dolt. I have seen you over the past few days piss all over people. You are o
Could you explain the quote function while I am quoting you? Why are you asking me anything inc how quote function works? lulz
are you stupid?
2AF726CE-EFDA-4D9A-961A-24C319E9999D.png

Just announced they are parting ways

Wow. We almost ended up with Mullen too. Let’s hope they don’t get a home run hire

These ADs in modern culture of sports are idots. I've never seen so much dumb hiting and fiting in my life. This is a major reason that the levels of competition are off in college football. They expect coaches to rebuild and fix shyt in 3 years or so vs patience and allowing coaches to build but it all goes back to irrational fan bases and the dominance of NICK Saban and Alabama football or Dabo at Clemson

These ADs in modern culture of sports are idots. I've never seen so much dumb hiting and fiting in my life. This is a major reason that the levels of competition are off in college football. They expect coaches to rebuild and fix shyt in 3 years or so vs patience and allowing coaches to build but it all goes back to irrational fan bases and the dominance of NICK Saban and Alabama football or Dabo at Clemson
3-4 years is more than enough time to decide if your coach is going to accomplish the goals of the program.

I actually agree that they are committed to winning and up until White (jury still out) UT's commitment was at least questionable.

However that does not mean that their AD is being run well right now. In fact, it appears that it isn't. Foley made an uncharacteristically bad hire with Muschamp. McElwain was another bad hire.

The interesting part is that much like UT... UF appears to be in a cycle of failure with coaches. Meyer's "flake out" and claims of health issues shook them. They hired Muschamp who had mixed results but ultimately had a couple of bad years (maybe set up by Meyer's poor recruiting)... and they canned him. Rightly or wrongly, he would not have been fired by UT with those results. They hired and fired McElwain... just a flaky guy. They should have seen that he didn't have the charisma to succeed in the SEC.

Then they hired Mullen who is a good coach. He's a certifiable flake... but he has a track record and can coach. Why replace McElwain who was weird with Mullen who is weirder? But they did and now have cut him off really for having one bad season.

The fact that flaky guys have failed really 3 times in a row at UF now makes me wonder how wise it would be to hire an egomaniac like Kiffin.

There's a pattern developing that points to leadership above the HC. I hope they continue this trend of hiring failures. IMHO, anyone who takes the job will want security in the contract and will coach with one eye looking over his shoulder.
They may not be making the best hiring decisions, but the commitment is there. They are ponying up 7.5 million a year in coaches salary and holding him accountable when he doesn't measure up. UT admin is barely bringing 4 to the table for a head coach for the first time in program history.

Reactions: de1conley
Lol. They haven’t won any championships since 2008. I never said they haven’t won more than us. You made the idiotic claim that their administration cares about winning. Yet every coach since Meyer hasn’t won jack squat of significance.
Please read. It's not even fun anymore. At this point, it's like watching a rat shock itself over and over for the same piece of cheese.
11 Things you can do to stop embarrassing yourself!

For our sake, I hope not..........
Kiffin barely beat Heupel with the help of the refs and pulling out every advantage he could. Once Heupel gets better talent, he’s going to be a lot to handle.[/QUOTE]

What do you think Kiffin would do with Florida's recruiting base? Lane is very successful in his 2ND year at Ole Miss. If we couldn't beat Florida with their recent disasters at coach hiring, I don't have much hope against Florida with LK. I hope he stays at Ole Miss.....;)

They may not be making the best hiring decisions, but the commitment is there. They are ponying up 7.5 million a year in coaches salary and holding him accountable when he doesn't measure up. UT admin is barely bringing 4 to the table for a head coach for the first time in program history.
That logic doesn't hold. Money offers are based on perceived, not actual, value. They gave Mullen big money not because they "knew" he would be successful but because that's what it took to prevent someone else from hiring him. Conversely, UT paid less and appears so far to have gotten more value. Even if Heupel ultimately fails... he will have stabilized the program and won't be owed a buyout that prevents UT from hiring the coach of their choice.

I tend to think Heupel's odds are much better than I thought 6 months ago. The primary reason is leadership. He is a very good leader that the staff and players show a TON of respect for. More than anything else... that's what UT has been lacking in their HC.

What do you think Kiffin would do with Florida's recruiting base? Lane is very successful in his 2ND year at Ole Miss. If we couldn't beat Florida with their recent disasters at coach hiring, I don't have much hope against Florida with LK. I hope he stays at Ole Miss.....;)
Playing the devil's advocate... Kiffin flopped with USC's recruiting base. As great as southeast talent is... there are enough 4/5* players within 100 miles of LA to sign a top 5 class every year. He actually seems to coach better when he has marginal talent.

Kiffin barely beat Heupel with the help of the refs and pulling out every advantage he could. Once Heupel gets better talent, he’s going to be a lot to handle.

What do you think Kiffin would do with Florida's recruiting base? Lane is very successful in his 2ND year at Ole Miss. If we couldn't beat Florida with their recent disasters at coach hiring, I don't have much hope against Florida with LK. I hope he stays at Ole Miss.....;)[/QUOTE]

Zook. Muschamp. Shark humper. Darth Mullen. The head coach at UF doesn’t really matter. We always lose. So if Kiffin takes over what will be different? They beat us by 5 TDs instead of 4? I mean lol.

From head to head matchups between UCF, FAU, and this year with Ole Miss Heupel is the better coach. Can TN overcome the recruiting advantage FL will have is the only question.

Zook. Muschamp. Shark humper. Darth Mullen. The head coach at UF doesn’t really matter. We always lose. So if Kiffin takes over what will be different? They beat us by 5 TDs instead of 4? I mean lol.
The key to beating UF isn't UF's coach... it is UT's coach. When UT hires the "right guy" then they'll start having success vs UF.

The key to beating UF isn't UF's coach... it is UT's coach. When UT hires the "right guy" then they'll start having success vs UF.

So Fulmer wasn’t the right guy? I would agree with you but the record against UF the past 30 years screams it’s something else other than coaching.

So Fulmer wasn’t the right guy? I would agree with you but the record against UF the past 30 years screams it’s something else other than coaching.
The blunt answer to the Fulmer question is "no". He was an average to above average coach operating in an era with relatively low competition. He recruited very, very well but again the level of competition around the coffee table wasn't much more than on the field.. He was consistently outcoached by Spurrier. Spurrier, not Fulmer, set the standard for that era of SEC football.

Once other programs upgraded their coaching staffs and Cut moved on... Fulmer was done.

The other factor I could see is that raw talent advantages mean more in early games.

That logic doesn't hold. Money offers are based on perceived, not actual, value. They gave Mullen big money not because they "knew" he would be successful but because that's what it took to prevent someone else from hiring him. Conversely, UT paid less and appears so far to have gotten more value. Even if Heupel ultimately fails... he will have stabilized the program and won't be owed a buyout that prevents UT from hiring the coach of their choice.

I tend to think Heupel's odds are much better than I thought 6 months ago. The primary reason is leadership. He is a very good leader that the staff and players show a TON of respect for. More than anything else... that's what UT has been lacking in their HC.
The exact same things were said on here about Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt. They will at least "stabilize the program", we are "moving in the right direction" "SO much better than our LAST coach X" and "the players resepect him more". All of that has been the volnation "truth" about the current coach until it isn't and things fall apart and then the program is in worse shape than it was before. I hope Heupel is successful, but he has far from arrived. This "perceived value" that you refer to is called "market value". The reason they have to pay it is because other programs "perceive" it as well. Our administration is only looking at coaches that the market "perceives" as worth 4 million, if that. So your argument of more commitment from UT is more "logical" and mine is not because although UF committed the resources to get and keep a coach of an admitted market value of 7.5 million and are now firing their coach(who beat ours btw) are less committed because, even though we only committed to get and keep a coach of 4 million market value and wasn't desired enough on the open market to command a higher buyout, you think we got "more value"? All of this is based on the perceived momentum of a coach in his first year?? Almost every coach creates momentum in their first year. I hate to spoil your fun, but this admin has not done great with their evaluation of these value coaches over the last 15 years. I'd much rather they rely and commit based on market value and pay the extra money until they get a little better at finding this hidden gems at a bargain price.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Kiffin barely beat Heupel with the help of the refs and pulling out every advantage he could. Once Heupel gets better talent, he’s going to be a lot to handle.

What do you think Kiffin would do with Florida's recruiting base? Lane is very successful in his 2ND year at Ole Miss. If we couldn't beat Florida with their recent disasters at coach hiring, I don't have much hope against Florida with LK. I hope he stays at Ole Miss.....;)[/QUOTE]
I mean maybe. Heupel is pretty successful in year one and would’ve beat Kiffin in the game in Knoxville if not for blatant bs by the refs. Your point though that Kiffin is an elite recruiter is taken and that’s correct. Even if he failed he would stack the roster with talent

The exact same things were said on here about Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt. They will at least "stabilize the program", we are "moving in the right direction" "SO much better than our LAST coach X" and "the players resepect him more".
"We" as in you and that mouse in your pocket? I don't remember being like that with Dooley. I do remember advocating for him getting a fair shot before fans came down on him... I was incorrect in that. I never bought Butch or his leadership. I actually thought Pruitt was a good teacher of the game. Still do. He should be a career position coach or at most coordinator. He does not have the leadership ability to be HC.

All of that has been the volnation "truth" about the current coach until it isn't and things fall apart and then the program is in worse shape than it was before. I hope Heupel is successful, but he has far from arrived.
Where have I said he has? I like his chances more than I did a few months ago when frankly I didn't think he had much of a shot of surviving past 3 or 4 years. He is a good leader. That's what the players are saying. That's what the coaches are saying. That's what recruits are saying. That's what the media is saying. That's what the "insiders" are saying.

This "perceived value" that you refer to is called "market value".
Related but not the same since there are far less objective and far more subjective factors involved.

The reason they have to pay it is because other programs "perceive" it as well.
My point exactly... which did not make Dan Mullen a good hire... or Orgeron or Sumlin or dozens of other "sure bets" that got big pay days only to fail. Market value involves a lot more real value.

Our administration is only looking at coaches that the market "perceives" as worth 4 million, if that. So your argument of more commitment from UT is more "logical" and mine is not because although UF committed the resources to get and keep a coach of an admitted market value of 7.5 million and are now firing their coach(who beat ours btw) are less committed because, even though we only committed to get and keep a coach of 4 million market value and wasn't desired enough on the open market to command a higher buyout, you think we got "more value"? All of this is based on the perceived momentum of a coach in his first year?? Almost every coach creates momentum in their first year. I hate to spoil your fun, but this admin has not done great with their evaluation of these value coaches over the last 15 years. I'd much rather they rely and commit based on market value and pay the extra money until they get a little better at finding this hidden gems at a bargain price.
The value of those decisions will be known when we see the ultimate product. Like I said, I think Heupel was a very low risk hire. UT faced a ton of unknowns at that point and would have had to pay ABOVE that perceived value to get the "name" coaches you apparently think are the ONLY answers... or the only indications of commitment.

So what did UT get? They got a good coach and leader. They got a guy with integrity and someone that White knows well. They got him for a salary that enables them to handle his buyout pretty easily then devote that extra money to a guy who comes into a more stable situation without the NCAA issues or program issues.

You seem to think the evidence of "commitment" is just slinging money around haphazardly. I don't. Best case, UT has to pay one of those big salaries to keep Heupel. Worst case, UT has a bank full of cash to pursue Heupel's replacement.

Reactions: USF grad in TN

Before JH was hired, there was a rumor that Franklin was offered $8 million per year and turned it down. We were talking about the dumpster fire of a situation we were in at the time. Nobody at that time could name a coach with a market value of $8 million who would actually accept the job. You're talking about trying to hire some guy who's very comfortable where he is and already making $5 million or more, with many millions in the bank already. You're talking about trying to hire a guy who many other programs would want to hire. Why would a guy in that position jump into the dumpster fire we had at the time?
We have a new AD that should not be blamed for the mistakes of previous ADs.
If Heupel starts winning like an $8 million coach and we don't pay him, then you will have a valid argument.
If Heupel proves he can't do the job, and an $8 million dollar coach wants the job and we don't hire him, then you will have a valid argument.

All I know is that Florida is a Johnny come lately program. Before spurrier they were nothing. I give them credit for having a good run against us, but the out come of our games vs them has more to do with our poor play than their play at all.

I could be wrong but didn’t spurrier play their before 83?

If you want to call Florida a.... "Johnny come lately program" ....since the mid-1960's .... o_O

That's going back 55 to 56 years ago...

lol
He's 76 years old

If you want to call Florida a.... "Johnny come lately program" ....since the mid-1960's .... o_O

That's going back 55 to 56 years ago...

lol
He's 76 years old
My bad. I don’t count that. It was so long ago. Vandy was good in the 20’s. They have been bad for as long as I’ve been aware of them. Until they had a better HC. That has been too easy for way too long. JH shows promise. There are reasons to expect him to be successful. Pat Summitt is the type run I’m expecting. She set the standard at UT. Neyland set records of how great can you be. I’ve always wondered how many points the defense scored that year.

Back to Florida: Spurrier brought them out from Vandy status as a player and then as HC got them going. All I’m saying is that if they keep missing with their HC, they will be Vandy2.0 again.

3-4 years is more than enough time to decide if your coach is going to accomplish the goals of the program.

3-4 yrs for any coach at UT has had since Fulmer is or has not been enough. At Fla they're stupid because Mullen has been successful every yr til this one. You don't fire a successful coach for a bad stretch in a single season. That's idiotic and impulsive as hell. It's also wasteful what LSU, Fla, Auburn prior to this yr, Washington, has done paying these humongous buyouts. Nobody is going to find Dabo or Nick only giving 3 years.

3-4 yrs for any coach at UT has had since Fulmer is or has not been enough. At Fla they're stupid because Mullen has been successful every yr til this one. You don't fire a successful coach for a bad stretch in a single season. That's idiotic and impulsive as hell. It's also wasteful what LSU, Fla, Auburn prior to this yr, Washington, has done paying these humongous buyouts. Nobody is going to find Dabo or Nick only giving 3 years.
I agree totally with this, always have. But I know I don’t have any say-so. The cost of coaching is going up, way way up. The quality is going down. It seems to me everybody would have to admit that.

it’s possible there could be a return to sanity at some point if boosters all refuse to pay up based on the results.

it’s also possible that when Saban dies, the system will stabilize with mediocre coaches making $10 million or even $20 million a year. If they don’t fire the guys, the boosters will have less leverage , I think. We’ll see.

I mean maybe. Heupel is pretty successful in year one and would’ve beat Kiffin in the game in Knoxville if not for blatant bs by the refs. Your point though that Kiffin is an elite recruiter is taken and that’s correct. Even if he failed he would stack the roster with talent[/QUOTE]
No argument here............

VN Store

Back