Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Who beats S.C.? They already have disposed of NCSU and UConn, maybe Md or “Stamford” but I don’t think so right now.

Don’t count us out Rooster. You have us at home, but don’t forget last season. This Lady Vol defense is for real and we match up better with y’all on the interior than either UCONN or NC State from a defensive standpoint. Cunane is an excellent offensive player but does not have the shot blocking prowess Tamari has.

Geno won’t be pleased with this performance. Too many turnovers, nobody wanted to get a rebound and they only mustered 3 points in the final period. That’s not a good look.

Based on teams I’ve seen play this season I’d put them no higher than 8th in the poll. They aren’t the #2 team in the country.

Y’all can hold me to it, but this will be the first UCONN team to go out in the Sweet 16 in a long time. Mark my words, don’t see it happening for them this season. They have the best player but their team dynamic, interior play and rebounding are not working.

The 3 points in the entire final period stat is absolutely shocking for THAT lineup with those highly vaunted scorers. It's nearly unbelievable.

The 3 points in the entire final period stat is absolutely shocking for THAT lineup with those highly vaunted scorers. It's nearly unbelievable.

Yep and he was barking orders and they weren’t responding. Not something you see from a UCONN team often, or ever.

He’s made comments about how much “fun” he’s been having pitting players against each other in practice for playing time. May be coming back to bite him in the form of poor chemistry and indifferent feelings toward their coach.

Don’t count us out Rooster. You have us at home, but don’t forget last season. This Lady Vol defense is for real and we match up better with y’all on the interior than either UCONN or NC State from a defensive standpoint. Cunane is an excellent offensive player but does not have the shot blocking prowess Tamari has.

I will agree Key is shot blocking prowess. But she will need to play smart with 6-5 Boston and 6-7 Cardoso in at the same time. She can`t just go try and block shot`s that will not work against SC do to weakside offensive rebounding. Or with 6-4 Amihere in the game. Key can match any of SC players on the defensive end. But can she match them on the boards and the offensive end ? Also Emily and Striplin will need to play in this game due to the size of SC. There is no way they will not play in this game. Saxton is 6-2 and Beal is 6-2. So at the end of the day Key will need a ton of help.

Geno won’t be pleased with this performance. Too many turnovers, nobody wanted to get a rebound and they only mustered 3 points in the final period. That’s not a good look.

Based on teams I’ve seen play this season I’d put them no higher than 8th in the poll. They aren’t the #2 team in the country.

Y’all can hold me to it, but this will be the first UCONN team to go out in the Sweet 16 in a long time. Mark my words, don’t see it happening for them this season. They have the best player but their team dynamic, interior play and rebounding are not working.
I don't think they'll lose in the S16, but I could see them going out in the E8. However, if a gun was put to my head, I would bet they make the FF.

IMO, Maryland is the 2nd best team in the country, and they haven't been at full strength for a single game yet.

I don't think they'll lose in the S16, but I could see them going out in the E8. However, if a gun was put to my head, I would bet they make the FF.

IMO, Maryland is the 2nd best team in the country, and they haven't been at full strength for a single game yet.

i also would bet Geno has them ready for the later match up ... Not saying they'll win but i’m we know Geno and this will give him plenty of ammo.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I will agree Key is shot blocking prowess. But she will need to play smart with 6-5 Boston and 6-7 Cardoso in at the same time. She can`t just go try and block shot`s that will not work against SC do to weakside offensive rebounding. Or with 6-4 Amihere in the game. Key can match any of SC players on the defensive end. But can she match them on the boards and the offensive end ? Also Emily and Striplin will need to play in this game due to the size of SC. There is no way they will not play in this game. Saxton is 6-2 and Beal is 6-2. So at the end of the day Key will need a ton of help.
Just Karoline

i also would bet Geno has them ready for the later match up ... Not saying they'll win but i’m we know Geno and this will give him plenty of ammo.
Agreed. I think a lot of it depends on what kind of role that Azzi Fudd carves for herself on the team. The thing is, that would come at the expense of Williams and/or Westbrook.

This game was interesting in that neither team's vaunted recruiting class played a role in the outcome. It was decided more by the returning players and the transfers. You don't see it in the box score, but Cardoso was extremely impactful in her limited minutes in rebounding, boxing out, contesting shots and rushing UConn's shooters. They could send Boston to the bench to catch a breather and still maintain the same defensive intensity.

Of course she’ll need to play smart. She has the ability to do so though.

Neither Karo nor Emily is likely to play much in that game. Keyen and Alexus will split time at the 4 and we will probably see more Keyen in that game because she matches up better with Saxton.

Ideally Tamari stays out of foul trouble and plays 35+ minutes which she has proven she’s capable of already.

Rae Burrell will likely also be back on the court so we will have additional defensive options.

As a team we rebound just as well or better than SC. At this point in the season I would say our defense has looked better and their offense has looked better. It’ll be a good game but I’m confident in how we matchup with them and our players ability. Ain’t scared thats for sure.

Won’t be at all shocked to see that 2-3 zone we saw against Texas in the 4th quarter. When they go to a big lineup I can see Kellie going into that defensively and force contested jumpers from the perimeter. Plus it will protect Tamari defensively if they try to play Boston and Cardoso together. Baiting Cooke into overshooting can be done and done well.

Please Geno had them ready for this matchup he's too good of a coach not to and those UCONN ladies wanted to prove something to SC now. hence the great start. SC is just the better team with that depth now you can have a major injury to turn the tide but all things equal SC is better.

Reactions: Bret178 and sisaq
Please Geno had them ready for this matchup he's too good of a coach not to and those UCONN ladies wanted to prove something to SC now. hence the great start. SC is just the better team with that depth now you can have a major injury to turn the tide but all things equal SC is better.

Exactly.. I heard Geno said "This just our 2nd game remember ".. I want to know wat he use to say when he use to start at 10-0 or 20-0. Just congratulate SC and don't look dumb making excuses.

Is hard to talk about Emily because she's just sweet.. I wish she could help a little.
She is, but she would best be served cheering on her teammates and being positive on the sideline in a game against this level of competition until she earns the minutes in practice.

Reactions: sisaq

VN Store

Back