Those missing Eric Gray: Jabari Small has better stats this year…

Gray was the big loser for transferring . He might have run wild under Heupel‘s system. I can see the attraction of Oklahoma and he may be thrilled to be there, but he could certainly have been dynamic with the Vols. Those guys went through a lot - playing with the turnover machine - JG was inhuman torture. Congratulations to Chandler for shining at UNC.

Reactions: bigvol67
He could’ve stayed and paid back any benefits if that’s the case. It happens fairly regular in college athletics.

IF he did get bad money, I don't think our leadership would allow him that option. The idea was to purge every offending staffer and player. To keep them would be accepting bad behavior. Not in the mitigating game plan. I a GUESSING that part of our plan to get a smaller hammer from the NCAA is to be prepared to publicly defend ourselves with sharing the names of those accepting illegal benefits and showing those schools enabled them to play without restitution. I would like to know who and how much for sure. This might a tool to get the NCAA to advise our old coach those facts might get out and not in his best interest to fight for the money. Those details would make it harder to ever get back in the college game if that is what he would want to do once they hit the public record. All we have to do is confess and share details. I don't know how many got the money, certainly not the majority that hit the portal.

Reactions: OrangeVolMan
One thing is for sure. Stats don't mean the same thing anymore with this team. While I'm happy w Small, Grey is an excellent back too.

We have been so thin at running back all year. I don't know how we should feel good about Eric Gray leaving, even with his lack of production at OU.

Kennedy Brooks was the entrenched starter at OU and he is a RS Junior. And Nebraska is not a cupcake this year. The record may say they are but if you actually watched those games, they are far from cupcake status.

Nebraska is Vandy Midwest& Western Carolina he mustered 74 all other games where 38 yards or less both ETSU backs had over 150 yards vs Western Carolina in fact Saylor had 266 yards. Gray is trending down. Just has 330 Total yards in 10 game this year. Will get recruited over. He may transfer again JMO. I think they thought he would be better no string work ethic.

Last edited:
If Eric gray played against Missouri for us this year he might’ve ran for 300 yards. He’s excellent in space, but not the best at getting tough yardage.

He could’ve stayed and paid back any benefits if that’s the case. It happens fairly regular in college athletics.
He, Henry and Wanya testified to internal counsel, and all were encouraged/asked to leave. It’s a part of what we’re presenting to the ncaa as correcting the problem.

Reactions: JT3
I like Small but let’s get real, Gray is a superior back and he would still be starting here over him. If Small can get close to 200 yards in a game with multiple TDs I might change my mind, but until then it’s not even close. I don’t want Gray back by any means because he clearly didn’t want to be here, but let’s not act like he wasn’t a great back for us while he was here. Especially with that atrocious QB play and every defense knew who was getting the ball every single game.

Grey's talent was in question b/c he came from Lausanne, a small school in Memphis which until around the time he was in the 6th grade, was girls only. The talent that he played against was Single "A"ish, apparently his talent was noticeable considering.

I like Small but let’s get real, Gray is a superior back and he would still be starting here over him. If Small can get close to 200 yards in a game with multiple TDs I might change my mind, but until then it’s not even close. I don’t want Gray back by any means because he clearly didn’t want to be here, but let’s not act like he wasn’t a great back for us while he was here. Especially with that atrocious QB play and every defense knew who was getting the ball every single game.
Without that one Vandy game, his UT resume is pedestrian. Good not great and a walking TFL. I prefer Small in that tale of the tape.

Reactions: sechamp2012
I would like to have Jahmir Johnson back.

I think Gray and others are gone for a very specific reason... so discussions like this are moot. UT had to restart its program clean... and some players had to be gone for that to happen.

Reactions: Sarms58
I believe Gray made a big mistake when he decided to transfer, but if he was on the take, he probably had no choice but to leave. The same goes for many of the players who transferred out soon after Pruitt was fired.
We came out the winner with us getting a complete remake of the Universities's new Administration all the way down the the assistant coaches. The future looks better than it has in the last 15 or more years.

I think Key Lawrence has turned out to be the biggest transfer loss, with Henry T being a close second. Our LBs and DBs have been exposed a lot this year.

Henry T is a much bigger loss imo. Our LBs have been one of the major reasons QBs with average running ability have looked like Johnny Manziel against us.

Reactions: Sarms58

No Gray isn’t the superior back.

VN Store

Back