Mullen fired at Florida

I get the feeling Kiffin would rather have the Miami job.
This is not a challenge... but what gives you that feeling? Has he made comments?

Miami is a mess and a hard place to win in this era of college football. Their facilities still aren't good and too many programs have strong pipelines into south FL now. If I'm him and the choice is LSU, Miami, or UF... I'd choose LSU in a heartbeat. That would probably be the best roster of the 3 to take over right now as well.

Reactions: sona
We were unbeaten, ranked and leading a really good Georgia team 21-17 at the half last year with people thinking we were truly back. Then the season got sucked into a black vortex where we got outscored 119-24 over the next 10 quarters and the season went to hell. So we've seen it happen.

I do wonder if Florida is going to be raked over the coals for firing coaches so quickly like we were. Mullen had them in the SECCG last year. We get called unreasonable for firing guys who weren't doing nearly as well as Mullen in this 4 year stretch.

Gotta agree. Why would a Cristobal or top coach in an easier conference or college with realistic standards leave and go to FL right now?

Clearly you have one bad year even after being in the SECCG and you are out. Saban is not close to retiring, GA is on fire, and we are clearly turning around and starting to scare people. Plus LSU is open and that school basically recruits itself into top 5.

Yes. This is what I’ve never understood. People think Tennessee is so unreasonable firing their coaches when Florida has fired McElwaine and Mullen when they performed better than UT’s coaches, but no one bats an eye at Florida’s decision. Didn’t McElwaine win the East 2 years in a row and UF fired him midway through the season the next year? No one said that was unreasonable at all. Why? Why is UT’s decision to fire their coaches bad for the program but it’s not only perfectly acceptable, but expected for UF to do it?
I think McElwaine was fired for a combination of on the field and off the field stuff. That so-called threatening phone call was proven to be false. UF athletics was not happy with that situation.

This is not a challenge... but what gives you that feeling? Has he made comments?

Miami is a mess and a hard place to win in this era of college football. Their facilities still aren't good and too many programs have strong pipelines into south FL now. If I'm him and the choice is LSU, Miami, or UF... I'd choose LSU in a heartbeat. That would probably be the best roster of the 3 to take over right now as well.
Kiffins best route is to stay at Ole Miss. He can hang out there for years and they will be happy with 7-8 game wins and be ecstatic with the occasional 10-11 years. He fits the Peter principle perfectly, and he's bounced on and off of that threshold. Let him sacrifice what little dignity he has left for a Hail Mary job, and let us revel in the glory of him failing.

I just heard some media types saying Kiffin liked South Florida. He wouldn't have to play an SEC schedule either. The ACC is a much easier path than the SEC. I've never met the guy so, past what some media people who do know him said, I don't have a clue. I heard them last week before the Florida job was open.

Reactions: sjt18
Kiffins best route is to stay at Ole Miss. He can hang out there for years and they will be happy with 7-8 game wins and be ecstatic with the occasional 10-11 years. He fits the Peter principle perfectly, and he's bounced on and off of that threshold. Let him sacrifice what little dignity he has left for a Hail Mary job, and let us revel in the glory of him failing.
You do know he's not cut that way, right? Also, I don't think any coach who wants to run a top tier program finds their best route by staying at OM. I think he knows how unique Corral is and that he faces a drop off next year. I don't think there's much chance at all that Kiffin isn't wearing different colors this time next year.

Some write off USC... I wouldn't. IIRC, they have a new AD since Kiffin left who might be willing to take another look at him.

Coaches are mercenary. Money moves most of them. But I think some have a genuine affection for the programs they coach or have factors they consider more important than money. I don't like Mac Brown and absolutely despise UNC but he makes a good example. He had other opportunities after being pushed out at Texas. He WANTED to go back to UNC when that opening came. I think that goes a long way toward explaining why he's able to recruit better there than other HC's they've hired. Kiffin is on an entirely different level. I believe his one "true love" program is USC.... the rest is just about who pumps his ego most and pays him best... in that order.

Florida isn't buying out Heupel's contract at $8 million, and then paying him $6+ million a year after a single year in the SEC with a .500 conference record.
LSU might. They like that fast paced offense. You know Danny White is going to be fielding inquiries with all of the openings coming up. Here's to hoping he's solidly committed to building this program back.

Reactions: IndianaVol
We struggled to beat Spurrier and Muschamp at UF, but we beat them at USCe.
There is just something about those swamp lizards that causes us to choke .
With rare exception over the past 30 years... UT has been outcoached by whoever UF has. Spurrier was simply better than Fulmer with equal talent... or more. Zook was pretty awful and Fulmer had a little success. They hired Meyer... and Fulmer wasn't even close.

Jones is flatly incompetent. How bad do you have to be to lose to a 4-8 Muschamp team with the talent UT had at that point? Dooley never had the talent OR the coaching ability. Pruitt may have possessed the worst qualities of both.

This "curse" is nothing more nor less than being outcoached consistently over time.

UF had a lot more talent this year and hadn't fallen apart by week 4. For the first time in a very long time... I am hopeful that UT won't continue to be outcoached.

This could be very bad for us someone better start protecting CJH and staff immediately
He may use it for leverage... but Heupel seems wiser than to jump out of a situation where the program, athletes, and fans have all bought into him and into one of those programs right now.

Orgeron is two years removed from a NC. I've never thought much of him as a coach but if you're thinking about that job... you might want to REALLY think about it. I never liked Miles at all but his record when fired by LSU was 114-34.

I think Heupel will get a good bit more patience from us.

Reactions: WhitewaterVol
I don’t consider the fact we can’t beat UF as sad. I am just used to it. I have tried and tried to figure out why we continually lose to UF. It seems whomever is the head coach for us and them doesn’t change anything.

We see them as just another game, they see us as their big brother. Spurrier grew them up strong in their hate for us. They take it personal. To us they are just another team in the East.

So many coaching positions open, some higher profile coaches are probably gonna be changing schools, and then after all is said and done, a lot of defensive and offensive coordinators are probably gonna get opportunities to be a head coach for the first time. For the first time in a while, I don't feel like Tennessee is gonna be on the carousel for the foreseeable future. Let's just hope the LSU and Florida hires aren't home run hires. They deserve their time in the wilderness. If only Saban would.....

Reactions: AllVols
We see them as just another game, they see us as their big brother. Spurrier grew them up strong in their hate for us. They take it personal. To us they are just another team in the East.

Well this is wrong. You don’t see a team as “just another team” when you’ve only beat them once in the last decade….Or maybe you just accept it, I don’t however.

VN Store

Back