What should be our strategy until Rae returns?

After seeing Kelly's interview about "now we have some time to work on selves" I think we will see some improvements. Whether its enough to beat a good TX team will see but the perfect storm of events to start the season was just a killer:

1. Rea going down in first game was certainly an unforeseen event.
2. Freshman having to step up much sooner than would normally be expected.
3. The 2 games after Rea went down were back to back with no practice time to make adjustments for Rea's injury.

With this being at the beginning of the season they can overcome without much seasons damage and should make them better later in the season when RB gets back and it really matters. Just my 5-star asshat view of things. :cool:
Jordan is not 100%...been using this for some time. Venom Back

My strategy would be get the ball to Key inside, next option Horston and Dye mid-range and basket drive. Three point attempts from Darby, Puckett, and Horston. Try to run plays to get players to the line that shoot a good percentage Horston, Puckett, and of course Key the most likely to be fouled. A lot quicker ball movement in the zone to get the better overload to one side to get the better three point look. I've seen a lot of teams that screen for shooters and drivers a lot better than were doing right now. Horston and Key should be able to flourish if a team decides to go man to man.

Defensive strategy pressure the perimeter guards let Key take care of the paint.

What should be our strategy until Rae returns?

First thought this was just Offensive strategy, but since it is both, will include what we’re already doing, rebounding and suffocating Defense. Disrupt their play. When I saw the Texas /Stanford game, Texas reminded me of our team, good defense and scrappy. Obviously, we have to keep playing tough Defense, with blocks, and steals. Never be surprised by an unexpected pass, always watch the ball and be ready.

For our Offense:

1. The no brainer: Get the ball to Tamari, high enough so she can turn and make a quick layup. Texas has a 6’5 player, and 2 players 6’4, so Tamari will have to be in position for a quick pass from Horston, or from anyone else who sees her open.

2. Spread the players out on the floor, so that their players must come out and are not bunched in the paint, which will give Horston a more open path to the basket. If it’s still too crowded, she can make a short jumper, or pass out to a 3 point shooter, Sara or Tess.

3. Rebounds and put backs under the basket. We have several players who can do this, Tamari, Alexus, Green, Sara, and Karoline. Be determined when making the layup.

4. Do whatever it takes to get your 3 point shooters an open shot, screens, quick passes until one ends up with an open shot, whatever. That’s half of it, the other half is, the shooter cannot hesitate. Take the shot, not the pass. Hopefully they’re practicing this all week.

5. Make all your free throws.

6. If all else fails, give the ball to Horston.

7. Most importantly, DEFEND YOUR HOME COURT!

GO LADY VOLS!!!
Smart guy

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This certainly is not the offense KJH ran at Mo. State, of course she did have two to three long distance shooters. I don’t think you can give up on the threes. As much as possible you do not want to become a one dimensional offense, especially in light of the fact, we are having issues making easy shots under the basket. They need to run some off ball screens and give Horston, Walker, Dye and others a chance to shoot mid rang shots as well as shots off the dribble drive. Wynn and Miles appear to be very quick and have the ability to drive to the hoop. I would like to see us run more backdoor plays.

teacherdean, I’m with you on not giving up on the threes. We’re only 3 games into at least a 31-game season, so it makes no sense to assume the 3-pt shot will never come around at all. Maybe we’re just having a slow start as a team, especially with everyone now having to make the major adjustment to playing without our best 3-pt shooter in Rae. Maybe the shots will start going down for another player soon and it’ll be contagious. Everyone should continue to develop each week with more practice/experience and more conditioning.

This certainly is not the offense KJH ran at Mo. State, of course she did have two to three long distance shooters.

How is it different? Her offense at Missouri State consistently shot a pretty low percentage. Granted, it was never THIS low...

Probably forget the three which is adding just 6 points per game to our offense and costing us 14 shot attempts. 44 percent on all the other shot attempts would mean making about 6 more shots or 12 points so 12-6 gives us 6 more points. Free throws get lucky I guess as the players shooting them now are not career great free throw shooters. We have to hope we can get to sixty and hold the other team under that amount.
Darn, why are our three point shooters so poor. I don’t expect Steph, but gosh someone make over 30%.
I guess this answers why our free throw percentage is so awful.

UT has to play the “keep it under 60” game and defend/rebound like hell until RaeB returns. The shooting will pick up, has to. There will be more experience on the team when RB returns than when she left. Her absence is forcing some to grow fast.

Keep it under 50 lately 😂

Nice post Rooster!

UT has to play the “keep it under 60” game and defend/rebound like hell until RaeB returns. The shooting will pick up, has to. There will be more experience on the team when RB returns than when she left. Her absence is forcing some to grow fast.
Truth. And on the offensive end; slow it down, run the offense, work for good shots, give up the good shot to make the extra pass to a great shot. I would really stress that to Horsten. She has to make her teammates better at this time. Give them 14 seconds to get a good/great shot. At the 10 second mark try to create something.

Last edited:
Truth. And on the offensive end; slow it down, run the offense, work for good shots, give up the good shot to make the extra pass to a great shot. I would really stress that to Horsten. She has to make her teammates better at this time.

I hear you but she needs to look to score. If she doesn't no one else will they will all go into a shell. She can make them better by encouraging them to keep shooting. We saw her 11 turnovers because she was trying to get everyone involved like last year that can't happen right now.

This is the time everyone should be taking more shots so if/when Rae does come back there are more threats on the floor. You can see we would have a big three if Rae was there and what this team could be. I think everyone would feel less pressure and be performing better.

The schedule did them no favors after losing Rae and had their been some cupcakes of that nature that may have helped with their confidence. But this should hopefully pay off in the end.

We saw her 11 turnovers because she was trying to get everyone involved

I don't think we are on the same page. I am under the impression that many of those 11 were when she tried to create and dribbled into traffic or picked up an offensive foul.

I don't think we are on the same page. I am under the impression that many of those 11 were when she tried to create and dribbled into traffic or picked up an offensive foul.

She was often passing to teammates that were often open and they weren't ready for the pass. She should have shot many of those passes. The no look passes were there but OFTEN mishandled. It was her first game back AND the first without Rae.

She got benched because she was frustrated with teammates and it showed... She is a competitor and i'm here for that lol

Now she did get turnovers on spinning into traps and maybe once or twice she just lost the handle but she often did that when she was making the move to draw defenders and dish when if she had just went up for the shot her team could crash the boards. she did that vs USF and had better results

Without Rae I think we need to Huep up our offense ... go faster than fast. Try to create transition points because our set offense doesn't pack much punch.

Order of operations:
1. get a steal or long defensive rebound ... fast break and finish it at the rim, draw fouls.

2. normal defensive rebound or inbound made basket ... run secondary break as fast as possible, a guard shooter should inbound, let the posts run. This breakdown of Roy Williams secondary break is pretty close to what I'm thinking.

.....a) get the ball asap to any ball handler
.....b) wings/guards sprint to opposite sides below the ft line, ball handler pushes to them asap.
.....c) the first post down the floor sprints to the rim, then establishes on the low block aggressively.
.....d) second post down goes to the ball side elbow.
.....e) original ballhandler trails the play, receives pass from wing/guard, if other options are not open, beginning a ball reversal
.....f) complete the reversal by passing to the opposite wing, first post crosses the paint and establishes on low block, then moves to set a screen at the elbow for the second post to cut to the same low block.

3. secondary break should produce a good shot 75% of the time, but if it doesn't move to offensive set. The secondary break should smoothly transition into the set offense, there should not be an opportunity for the defense to set or correct mismatches.

4. most of the sets are going to be pick and rolls for Horston and Key, except for a few set plays that are installed each week based on opponent weaknesses.

5. Puckett and Darby must continue to shoot threes. Puckett gets 30 minutes, Darby 10. Between the 2 of them, I want at least 10 3s per game.

That's my plan, what ideas do yall have?

Great plan, but, if we don't hit our shots we are doomed.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

VN Store

Back