Game Thread: Lady Vols 52 - USF 49

Consistent with the observations of a couple of posters and Coach Kellie observations from practice, the team did the best when this player was in the game, none other than Sara Puckett (+/- was a whopping +16, 5 points higher than the 2nd highest Horston. The worst were Darby and Dye, both at -7. No reason Puckett shouldn't start.
Got to have something to bring off the bench!

He said much of the same that positive fans on here have said. Our team never quit. They were gritty and even though we were down and couldn’t get anything to fall we never stopped playing defense.

Finally got some to start falling better in the fourth quarter when Horston just took over. She played excellent. The 3 point play at the end was a play she would have committed an offensive foul on last season.

On live watch I thought it was a bad call, that it was a no call or possibly an offensive foul. On the replay you can see Horston controlled her momentum and had already started her shooting motion when Harvey knocked into her. Had Horston not already been shooting it’s probably a no call.

Yes we do or Puckett to be a double digit scorer
I love Puckett. Looking at her I see a freshman who is deferring to the upper classmen. I am sure Kellie is in her ear about relaxing and playing her own game. I would wager that in the next half dozen games she has a breakout game where she scores in the 25-30 range.

I love Miles. Her defense against Pinzon was terrific and a key to the win. She runs the offense and is a great extension of KJH on the floor.

Horsten is the most incredible athlete. Her combination of athleticism and size is rare. She should be in the same conversation with the top players in the game if she would let the game come to her. Yes she was critical going down the stretch. But she could be so much more if she played more within the offense instead of breaking the offense by looking to create her shot.

Key also is paying below her ability. She has great hands for a big. I would like to see her beat her man down court every time. Then get her position and hold it. The defense would have to double her in almost every time she gets the ball. Have her be a pass first big.

Yes we do or Puckett to be a double digit scorer
Puckett is 5 for 11 from the field in the first three game that is less than 4 shot attempts a game. Darby is 3 for 17 most of her attempts came in the first two games. She was pulled last night after one attempt and a walk on her second.
So 45 percent for Puckett and 18 percent for Darby. Puckett does other things like strong defense, rebounding, and blocked one shot last night while disrupting a few others. Puckett is 2 for 6 from the three and Darby is 2 for 11. I agree Darby should play off the bench some, but Puckett would be my starter for Burrell until she returns.

Will say, Kellie’s recruits take care of the basketball so far. What we traded in athleticism from Holly recruits we are getting back in basketball IQ.

Miles and Puckett both play under control and with a high IQ for brand new freshman. 31 and 25 minutes last night respectively and 0 turnovers.

It really ******* hurts when you lose your leading scorer and best 3 point shooter all in one with only 18 minutes into the season😫
That is why we should've went out and got another couple players last season. I don't think Kellie wanted to load the roster up on a year that you could have as many as you desired. I think she thought Darby would be another three point shooter along with Burrell. I doubt she thought that Walker could not make a basket and would be shooting below 20 percent on the season. I really don't know what she thinks of Rennie she put her in there for a minute don't think we'll see her much. Saunders not going to play she is behind everybody last player on the bench Striplin got a couple minutes Saunders 0.

Last edited:
That is why we should've went out and got another couple players last season. I don't think Kellie wanted to load the roster up on a year that you could have as many as you desired. I think she though Darby would be another three point shooter along with Burrell. I doubt she thought that Walker could not make a basket and would be shooting below 20 percent on the season. I really don't know what she thinks of Rennie she put her in there for a minute don't think we'll see her much. Saunders not going to play she is behind everybody last player on the bench Striplin got a couple minutes Saunders 0.
Our best 3 point shooter now is Sara but she won’t let it fly

Will say, Kellie’s recruits take care of the basketball so far. What we traded in athleticism from Holly recruits were getting back in basketball IQ.

Miles and Puckett both play under control and with a high IQ for brand new freshman. 31 and 25 minutes last night respectively and 0 turnovers.
It’s refreshing

Will say, Kellie’s recruits take care of the basketball so far. What we traded in athleticism from Holly recruits were getting back in basketball IQ.

Got to get more out of Dye I can't understand why every game she plays like she need an oxygen tank after five minutes in the game. Hoping she can get her endurance up and start making baskets.

Got to get more out of Dye I can't understand why every game she plays like she need an oxygen tank after five minutes in the game. Hoping she can get her endurance up and start making baskets.

Mentioned in another post but I’m pretty sure she had a mild injury in the fall. Can’t remember which media it was but Kellie mentioned a few weeks ago Dye had been out of conditioning for a little bit. I believe she was just able to work back in full time recently. So hopefully that will improve.

With Rae she would have been able to play about 5 minutes less. Right now we have to have her out there

Mentioned in another post but I’m pretty sure she had a mild injury in the fall. Can’t remember which media it was but Kellie mentioned a few weeks ago Dye had been out of conditioning for a little bit. I believe she was just able to work back in full time recently. So hopefully that will improve.

With Rae she would have been able to play about 5 minutes less. Right now we have to have her out there
She did go 3 for 8 which looks awesome considering some players shooting percentage.

Were they saying that Rae can put weight on the foot and does not have a brace on. I know she had crutches last night but that is for the long haul.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Were they saying that Rae can put weight on the foot and does not have a brace on. I know she had crutches last night but that is for the long haul.

If you watch back she’s not hurting too bad. She was jumping up and cheering after plays sans crutches. When Jordan hit that layup for the 3 point play she jumped up.

Last edited:
If you watch back she’s not hurting too bad. She was jumping up and cheering after plays sans crutches. When just hit that layup for the 3 point play she jumped up.
A poster on here said two to three weeks didn't know whether to believe that or not. If she could get back for SEC play in January I would be delighted.

A poster on here said two to three weeks didn't know whether to believe that or not. If she could get back for SEC play in January I would be delighted.

Same, in the long run it may actually be a net positive getting some of these players more experience early here. Especially because they have been able to learn some tough lesson while still winning.

So much harder to stay positive if we were dropping these close games.

I'm sure a lot of homes of Lady Vols fans looked a lot like this, as our girls had trouble scoring a lay up, and especially the 3 point demon ball...

Coach Kellie, please go back to basics lay up drills.
Also, it's imperative we hit free throws.....
dont-watch-its-a-horrible-scene-picture-id1129349010

End of the game 49-51 up by 2. Tamari makes an incredible defensive play and gets a finger on a shot after getting beat and causes the player to miss. Then secured a HUGE aggressive rebound to seal the game.

All our home announcer can talk about is “WHAT A MOVE” by the USF player. Wtf dude?

A) she missed

B) she missed because Tamari Key is an excellent defender and an unstoppable force in the paint. No matter how good your move is.

VN Store

Back