I respect Fulmer a little more after each game we lose

A few. I got over Fulmer really early, he never impressed me as a coach, just a recruiter.

I don't care if Fulmer is the coach but I haven't got over losing.

I think/hope CJH has us moving in the right direction. I am a little afraid of a let down year next year. Hopefully he will get the time to build a program.

It's all we have had since the past was relevant.
The argument about Phil is so done. I mean, like Dunn.

But no one invited me to this party so I'll see myself out. Just remember the next time someone says "This is why other fans laugh at us" and remember this thread.

Considering that Pruitt was fired with cause, the extension literally means nothing as well. And you’re honestly gonna choose Fulmer’s buyouts as a problem? Lol. Plenty of gripes to go around with Phil but you’re gonna go after the buyouts? Lmao

I go after Fulmer stating how much he loves this university, and then never missing a chance to bleed it dry. And yes, it is a bad look to have given Pruitt an extension with the idiotic, out in the open fiasco of the Pruitt situation. I mean, the moron didn’t try to hide it. Fulmer might have been able to spot it had he not been trying to coach the O-Line. Fulmer helped Johnny out the door, and then muscled Currie out of the way. Not saying Currie was a good AD, but Phil certainly has a history of not being the most loyal of individuals. In fact, Fulmer has done more damage to the program since 1998 than anyone else.

But no one invited me to this party so I'll see myself out. Just remember the next time someone says "This is why other fans laugh at us" and remember this thread.

That’s because Phil just won’t go away.

People who blamed Fulmer on our current situation are like women who blame their ex-husbands for bring broke. They run him off because "he's a POS." Then when they find themselves broke, it's still his fault.

Reactions: GreveHaller
We make a big deal about winning games nowadays he use to win blindfolded. I’m not sure we will ever get back within being 75% of the win production he produced . Recruiting is the key. Must needs. Vol for life , hate losing especially to Georgia.
Fulmer's teams were loaded with talent, this isn't an appropriate comparison. That's the burning question. Will this staff be able to consistently recruit at a level that will have them competing for Championships.

Reactions: beamerman
People who blamed Fulmer on our current situation are like women who blame their ex-husbands for bring broke. They run him off because "he's a POS." Then when they find themselves broke, it's still his fault.

not sure folks are saying everything is his fault; however didn’t you notice he was in charge of Tennessee athletics for a while?

He hired the last coach. The last coach was under Fulmer’s supervision……..and things went from bad to……hell in a hand basket. Now the NCAA is looming over everything.

Notice how Fulmer is gone, all those coaches are gone……and even many of those players are gone……….that says a lot.

Maybe he didn’t know…….but it was his job to know…….he left his school in shambles.

He “should” have simply rode off into the sunset……but he couldn’t do that…….and at least partly because of that Tennessee became much worse (as far as the football program).

“If” things get better as their trending……it’s only because of a legit AD and a pretty good coach………but still have the NCAA stuff lingering.

I have foiiowed UT football since Doug Dickey was the coach. I remember a UT football program with a strong sense of tradition. There was no gimmicky style of play (they just lined up and went straight at them) and no uniforms with colors other than orange and white. I remember when orange jerseys were worn at away games. There were some ups and downs (the “Archie Who” Ole Miss game loss is still the most devastating loss of my lifetime). One thing I don’t remember is the fan base wetting themselves with joy over a 7-5 season.

I have foiiowed UT football since Doug Dickey was the coach. I remember a UT football program with a strong sense of tradition. There was no gimmicky style of play (they just lined up and went straight at them) and no uniforms with colors other than orange and white. I remember when orange jerseys were worn at away games. There were some ups and downs (the “Archie Who” Ole Miss game loss is still the most devastating loss of my lifetime). One thing I don’t remember is the fan base wetting themselves with joy over a 7-5 season.

Lol!!!!!!! That's about all this post deserves. It's inaccurate and dumb. Such a shockingly lack of understanding. Let's stop the forward pass and run the old GA Tech covered wagon offense.

Reactions: Woke

They need to get off of our lawns.

Here are all the ways 2002-2008 (Fulmer's latter years) were better than 2013-2017 (Jones tenure):
  • Fulmer's latter record was 57-32. Butch's was 34-29. That's a 64% win rate for Phillip, versus 54% for Butch.
  • Fulmer won the SEC East twice in that time period. Butch never won the division.
  • Fulmer had three (3) 10-win seasons in that window. Butch never got to double digits.
  • Fulmer's worst season was 5-7. Butch achieved a team history worst, at 4-8.
  • Ditto in SEC play: Fulmer's worst ever was 3-5. Butch took us to the cellar at 0-8.

There is simply no comparison between the two. Fulmer's worst years were still significantly better than the Butch Jones era, or the Dooley era, or the Pruitt era.

Folks like to hate on Phillip Fulmer, but he was one helluva great coach. Second best in our team's history. You don't get to a lifetime 75% win rate being a scrub.

But, haters gonna hate.

Go Vols!
This post provides a bunch of numbers and zero context. You can’t make a comparison and not include the context in which those numbers were produced. What was the state of the rest of the SEC? What was the state of the program that each coach inherited? What overarching qualities about college football were different/the same during each tenure?

If you’re going to compare, provide context for the comparison. Wouldn’t you provide context if you compared General Neyland’s tenure to Fulmer’s?

I’ve been a fan since the 70’s. Definitely some ups and downs back in the day but a ton of good times.

However I remember Tennessee having 8 losing seasons over the past 13.

I remember Kiffin coming in and going 6-6. I remember Doofy coming in and going 6-6. I remember Butch coming in and going 5-7. I remember Pruitt coming in and going 5-7. I remember cash, NCAA investigation, coach fired, other coaches fired, AD gone then most of the “talented” players gone as well………..I remember it feeling like we’ve been through it all for over a decade and now it might be worse.

Now I get to see Tennessee beating SEC teams they should…….right now…..not “year” whatever. Hopefully I’ll get to see Tennessee make a bowl, when this time last year it seemed everything had gone in the toilet…….and then it got even worse.

Seriously here…..why on earth is it a “problem” for Vol fans to be happy? Especially given everything that has happened and after the past 13 years.

also please…….please tell us about all those folks who are so “over joyed” they are pizzing themselves?………….maybe we’re simply tired of the past 13 years and are simply “happy” to see Tennessee where they currently are……..rather than where most thought they would be last year.

Reactions: OHvol40
This feeeeeels like a projection.

Here are all the ways 2002-2008 (Fulmer's latter years) were better than 2013-2017 (Jones tenure):
  • Fulmer's latter record was 57-32. Butch's was 34-29. That's a 64% win rate for Phillip, versus 54% for Butch.
  • Fulmer won the SEC East twice in that time period. Butch never won the division.
  • Fulmer had three (3) 10-win seasons in that window. Butch never got to double digits.
  • Fulmer's worst season was 5-7. Butch achieved a team history worst, at 4-8.
  • Ditto in SEC play: Fulmer's worst ever was 3-5. Butch took us to the cellar at 0-8.

There is simply no comparison between the two. Fulmer's worst years were still significantly better than the Butch Jones era, or the Dooley era, or the Pruitt era.

Folks like to hate on Phillip Fulmer, but he was one helluva great coach. Second best in our team's history. You don't get to a lifetime 75% win rate being a scrub.

But, haters gonna hate.

Go Vols!
This 1000%, EVERY coaches BEST win percent (since him) is still worse than Fulmers WORSE! If he is half the bum some think he is then how did he lead us to the very first BCS Natty,ever, the year after our beloved Peyton Manning went pro?! (When we were supposed to be having a rebuilding year). Thats not good or ok, or decent, thats Historical greatness! I remember being happy to have him while jerks drove around with "I've had my fill of Phil bumper stickers". Jez, some of yall wouldn't be happy if we won the Natty twice in one calendar year.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Fulmer had a losing record the year he was let go. He was no better than Butch Jones from 2002-2008

I liked Fulmer a lot as the coach of the Vols; however by the time he was let go…….it was tome “to” go.

However there is a big difference from Fulmer and Butch…….even 02-08 Fulmer……..at least the teams, wins, and play was different.

Fulmer went: 8-5, 10-3, 10-3, 5-6, 9-4,I 10-4, and. 5-7. They went to 5 bowls, and even an SEC championship game.

Butch went: 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, and 4-6. 3 bowl game, twice finishing 22’nd never better. He had zero 10 win seasons and had no regular seasons better than 8 wins (4 of Fulmers last 7 regular seasons were 9 win or better)

There was definitely a difference.

I'm not reading pages of Fulmerites waxing over his illustrious career, nor do I want to hear how bad he was at this or that. I also don't want to read all the we shoulda, if only's, and etc. Every game we win this year, I lose respect for Fulmer, he picked Pruitt. Every game we lose to such far superior programs who were progressive and taking charge, I lose more. The rebuild of the athletic department was supposedly in it's way while he was here. Apparently, it wasn't. There has been such a huge turnaround from the interior, you can see it like beams of light emitting. This can only be signs of the bright future Tennessee will hold now that we've got a proper AD for the first time since Hamilton was hired, maybe before, I didn't follow it that closely before then.
I’m going with before.
GBO!!

Right now, my only thoughts of Fulmer is he brought in the worst coach in UT history that totally wrecked the program.
He should've been fire along with Pruitt instead of giving a golden parachute but it's Fulmer and it's UT soooooo
Unfortunately all the good things Fulmer did to the program are now overshadowed for his bone headed idea that a hick with the speaking ability of a 3rd grader could bring us back to competing.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
The game had passed Fulmer by at the end of his coaching tenure. And he was never a good AD. While in that top job, we ended up with clearly the worst football coach in our university’s history; one who tried to burn the whole thing down.

None of that erases what Fulmer did here as a player and for most of his time as a coach.

Eating their own type posts just rekindle the perception of the mattress burning immediate post Kiffin era. Sports Center anyone? The danger of this type of behavior is amplified because if unchallenged it seems to PUBLICLY support that large portions of our fanbase accepts the idiotic logic that led some of our bottom feeders to throw or attempt to throw stuff on football fields. Nobody knows how long that will hang around as the first image of our program in outsiders minds. Beats tree killing I guess.

The staff does not need to have to fight our competitors only having to invite recruits support groups to check out our free boards as they do their comparative analysis of landing spots. All they have to do is cut and paste an address into a text and let them view the evidence provided. Taking reasoned positions is one thing, snarky vitriol laced attacks of past coaches and administrators and especially current players and past players becomes real and valid input for their analysis. Dealing, as we should, with the realities of the past, present and future can be done without pumping sunshine or shoveling crap into the discussions. But crap is a huge negative, sunshine in the form of hope, not so much. There is a huge middle ground. I WILL GIVE MY ALL anyone? Can anyone really buy in to that concept and then pull the trigger? Is there ever a valid justification? Discretion is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:
We make a big deal about winning games nowadays he use to win blindfolded. I’m not sure we will ever get back within being 75% of the win production he produced . Recruiting is the key. Must needs. Vol for life , hate losing especially to Georgia.
You may be too young to also remember his epic losses. South Carolina with Steve Tanneyhill, Memphis with Peyton as our QB. Wyoming. Fulmer being Spurriers bitch…….

VN Store

Back