What is up with the Lady Vols?

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Opened with a blowout and then just 9-10 point wins. I know a win is a win, but sheesh, are Southern Illinois and UCF THAT good?

Last edited:
Reactions: FrontRoyalVol
Longer story is: Marta is out for the year, Rae (our Senior and best player referred to above) is out indefinitely, Horston was out for the first game, Tamari, our post, has not played much due to fouls, the teams we played were heavily laden with Seniors and 5th year players, the last game was an away game against a team ranked very highly as the best defensive team in the country.

That’s about it, except we’re still winning. 😀

Missing your AA and one of the best offensive players in the country definitely hurts. Offense has a lot of Chemistry to build with so many new faces being blended. But make no mistake this team plays hard nosed D giving up only 45 points game they battle inside for rebounds so when you do the hard things wins follow. Yes we again have to keep getting better on O to get to were this team wants to achieve by years end. Early in Season 2-0 . In CHRIST Alone

SIU will do well in the Valley, may be the second best team behind Mo State. If the Lady Vols can get the offense clicking they will be fine. They have got to make the easy shots under the basket, we have to be able to drive to the hoop, we must shoot at least 35% from three, our bigs have to rebound on offense and take the ball back up for points. We need to improve our free throw shooting. On offense Horston has to stop with the wild turnovers. Dye has to be the front and center player she is capable of. I believe that Puckett will develop into a possible starter. Walker has to become a shooter and Miles has to utilize her speed on both sides of the ball. Key needs to dominate on both sides of the ball and stay out of foul trouble. Green needs to continue as is and use her girth to dominate on both sides of the ball. We do need some quality minutes off the bench from Striplin, Wynn and Darby. Most of all we need Burrell to get well and back on the floor. I would like to see some quality minutes from Saunders, however, I do not see evidence that will happen. I feel the same way about Rennie. The D seems to be clicking. The next few games will tell us a lot. We just need to hang in there realizing it may take time to put it all together.

Opened with a blowout and then just 9-10 point wins. I know a win is a win, but sheesh, are Southern Illinois and UCF THAT good?
UCF is very difficult to play against. They are typically a very good defensive team that doesn't mind mixing it up. Last year they led the nation in team defense giving up an average of 50.5 points. So scoring 49 points in the second game of the season isn't that bad.

UCF is good, especially defensively. Souther Illinois isn't good, but they got Tennessee without Horston and Burrell for a half, plus got Key into foul trouble so early she didn't get to double digit minutes.

UCF is very difficult to play against. They are typically a very good defensive team that doesn't mind mixing it up. Last year they led the nation in team defense giving up an average of 50.5 points. So scoring 49 points in the second game of the season isn't that bad.
Most of those games were against the AAC and teams like Tulane, Tulsa and East Carolina.

49 points and 28 turnovers is that bad.

Reactions: Rooster1
Longer story is: Marta is out for the year, Rae (our Senior and best player referred to above) is out indefinitely, Horston was out for the first game, Tamari, our post, has not played much due to fouls, the teams we played were heavily laden with Seniors and 5th year players, the last game was an away game against a team ranked very highly as the best defensive team in the country.

That’s about it, except we’re still winning. 😀
Think about this, those three players you named are all Holly recruits think about this The rest of that mid majorish talent, that played terribly, That's what Kelly's been bringing in That's what we got to look forward too

Reactions: allen phillips
On the brightside, it looks like that obnoxious troll, who drew the ire of many members here, has been eliminated from this forum !
I'm talking about the one (I believe something like "flucher" was part of his/her username) that carried on about Dawn Staley and who she recruits.
I can't find his/her posts anywhere. They have all been deleted. And, I assume, since I don't see any new posts from him/her, also banned.
As the last line, of a popular song by O'Shea Jackson Sr., once said:
" I gotta say it was a good day"

VN Store

Back