'22 QB IN Tayven Jackson (Tennessee signee)

I think the Simpson talk behind the scenes is legit and FU to VQ for their shenanigans and misleading their subscriber base…

But make no mistake about it, I’m riding with Tayven as the QB we can build this class around.

He’s not a plug and play player - he’ll need a year or two before he’s ready - but that’s ideal anyways.

I think the Simpson talk behind the scenes is legit and FU to VQ for their shenanigans and misleading their subscriber base…

But make no mistake about it, I’m riding with Tayven as the QB we can build this class around.

He’s not a plug and play player - he’ll need a year or two before he’s ready - but that’s ideal anyways.
kid will have higher ceiling

In the end, only one FBS school had the foresight to envision how good Love could be at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds. That’s how a late-blooming future first-round pick wound up accepting a scholarship offer from an unheralded Mountain West program that is typically third in relevance in its own state.

The summer before his senior year in high school, Utah State invited Love to visit campus and participate in the school’s elite camp. Offensive coordinator Josh Heupel liked Love’s game tape and that he was young for his grade, but he wanted to evaluate the quarterback in person before deciding whether to recommend offering a scholarship. Spending a couple days around Love in camp was all the convincing that Heupel needed. He saw a quarterback who had tight throwing mechanics and the athleticism to move within the pocket or to make a play with his feet. He saw a student who was open to coaching and able to quickly apply it. And he saw a fierce competitor who was passionate about football and eager to do whatever was necessary to become the best version of himself.

“The toughest thing in recruiting is to be able to project and understand what guys are going to be like three, four years down the road,” Heupel told Yahoo Sports, “but we felt like he had the potential to really grow and mature inside our program.” Heupel, now the Tennessee head coach, added, “We felt that he had a really high ceiling.” While Heupel left to become the offensive coordinator at Missouri without ever coaching Love, Utah State reaped the benefits of his shrewd talent evaluation. Love enrolled as a 17-year-old in January 2016 and instantly demonstrated that he was the self-starter that Heupel envisioned.

A decade in the making: Jordan Love's time has come

In the end, only one FBS school had the foresight to envision how good Love could be at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds. That’s how a late-blooming future first-round pick wound up accepting a scholarship offer from an unheralded Mountain West program that is typically third in relevance in its own state.

The summer before his senior year in high school, Utah State invited Love to visit campus and participate in the school’s elite camp. Offensive coordinator Josh Heupel liked Love’s game tape and that he was young for his grade, but he wanted to evaluate the quarterback in person before deciding whether to recommend offering a scholarship. Spending a couple days around Love in camp was all the convincing that Heupel needed. He saw a quarterback who had tight throwing mechanics and the athleticism to move within the pocket or to make a play with his feet. He saw a student who was open to coaching and able to quickly apply it. And he saw a fierce competitor who was passionate about football and eager to do whatever was necessary to become the best version of himself.

“The toughest thing in recruiting is to be able to project and understand what guys are going to be like three, four years down the road,” Heupel told Yahoo Sports, “but we felt like he had the potential to really grow and mature inside our program.” Heupel, now the Tennessee head coach, added, “We felt that he had a really high ceiling.” While Heupel left to become the offensive coordinator at Missouri without ever coaching Love, Utah State reaped the benefits of his shrewd talent evaluation. Love enrolled as a 17-year-old in January 2016 and instantly demonstrated that he was the self-starter that Heupel envisioned.
A decade in the making: Jordan Love's time has come

There ya go. And that is why I'm not concerned about the number of stars beside the names of the guys Heupel signs and why I trust his ability to evaluate more than the guys who hand out the stars.

I feel like the Ty talk is smoke screen and need
To hang on to Tayven. Just chatter to get our current Qb commit to start looking else where . Really just ready to get the 23’ QB to commit and build around that class.

I feel like the Ty talk is smoke screen and need
To hang on to Tayven. Just chatter to get our current Qb commit to start looking else where . Really just ready to get the 23’ QB to commit and build around that class.
I don't think Tayven is going to look anywhere regardless. That kid is a leader, and this staff appears to be upfront and honest with kids. Heupel wants competitors at QB, so I seriously doubt the kid will shy away from competing against anybody.

Jackson was 6 of 9 passing for 85 yards and a TD last night as Center Grove picked up another lopsided win, 41-7 over Columbus North. He also rushed for -6 yards on 3 carries, his 5th negative-yardage ground game this year.

From an April '21 piece in the Indianapolis Star:
He is rated as a three-star prospect on the 247sports composite list and the No. 18 pro-style quarterback in the country. That pro-style designation is something Jackson would like to change when he looks ahead to his senior season. Jackson averaged 4.2 yards per carry last season, but only ran it 46 times in 14 games. With IndyStar Mr. Football Carson Steele in the backfield and a bevy of other weapons around him, Jackson did not need to run the ball often. “I’d like to use my feet a little more,” Jackson said when asked about his senior season. “A lot of recruiters and 247 and all of them have me as a pro-style quarterback. But I think I’m a dual threat all the way. They just don’t see me running a lot. I’m definitely going to show them I’m a dual threat and I can use my feet when I need to.”

But maybe 247 has him classified correctly, as he's averaged just 4 carries per game and 2.2 yards per carry this season; that's not what you typically see from a true dual-threat QB. I think Jackson is nimble afoot and has good escapability, but he doesn't seem to be a natural runner like Hooker.
  • Tayven Jackson HS rushing stats
View attachment 409262
  • Hendon Hooker
View attachment 409263
  • Harrison Bailey
View attachment 409261
  • Jarrett Guarantano
View attachment 409265
JG classification as dual threat did him no favors. Everyone thought he would be a Dobbs that threw better. He was worst than Dobbs in every way, but the biggest difference was rushing ability.

My biggest concern with Jackson is not his passing. I wonder why he is not much of a playmaker running the ball. He should be leaving these HS kids in his jetwash if he is a SEC quality runner.

I don't know...maybe there is a reason for it that I am not grasping..🤷‍♂️

I am not one of the negaJacksons...I just have some doubts.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
My biggest concern with Jackson is not his passing. I wonder why he is not much of a playmaker running the ball. He should be leaving these HS kids in his jetwash if he is a SEC quality runner.

I don't know...maybe there is a reason for it that I am not grasping..🤷‍♂️

I am not one of the negaJacksons...I just have some doubts.
They probably don't need him to run in order to win, so why risk him getting injured? His team is much better than most of the teams they play, so he probably isn't asked to do much other than manage the offense and make a throw when the down and distance calls for it. It's too bad he doesn't play in a more open offense because he would probably put up big numbers and be a little more prepared once he gets to UT.

And it’s just talk on here. Not even talk between the staff and the player. We have some wild imaginations on VN

zAa52ZC.gif

VN Store

Back