Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 59 - Southern Illinois 49

Guys, I admit I was surprised by the difficulty we had in dispatching SI, they fought all the way....I tip my cap to them.

Yes, I know we had players out of this game for various reasons, but damn, those SI girls were popping the demon ball from all over the place.

It is nice to see BK stepping forward to be counted when someone needed to be counted...Her defense of SI's point guard was textbook...Brilliant.

Puckett finally looked like the shooter/ball player she is suppose to be...Nice arc on the demon ball...

Without Key this team is very ordinary...Her presence is like a brick wall on an interstate....
As pointed out by some brilliant poster's observations, use your legs and less arm to establish post position,especially against a shorter opponent....Too much arm makes you look like the aggressor...

Dye is definitely a major player....Stay healthy young lady.

Darby had a very forgettable game....Keep practicing young lady.

Walker battled all night long....

Green stood tall in the paint....

Stripln looked like a freshmen, enough said about her for now...It will come.

Wynn needs to develop a dependable outside shot to go with her nice lane drives..

Rennie and Emily, I know you guys are trying...Make yourselves valuable in practice.

That was a terrible showing! Where are the shooters??? We are going to be in SERIOUS trouble if Rae is out for the season. Even if she is ok, we are not going to finish second in the SEC. They looked lost out there! Our prehistoric offense is so boring! Do we even run plays? Or do we just run down and first person to get an opening shoots??? Label me whatever you want for being “negative”, but we looked absolutely terrible! A good team will embarrass us!

Look you are entitled to your opinion I have said this many times before the season even started that this team will be in trouble. Not because of the awful showing against a team that is not very good, But because they will have a very difficult time matching up against many of the top teams.

Guys, I admit I was surprised by the difficulty we had in dispatching SI, they fought all the way....I tip my cap to them.

Yes, I know we had players out of this game for various reasons, but damn, those SI girls were popping the demon ball from all over the place.

It is nice to see BK stepping forward to be counted when someone needed to be counted...Her defense of SI's point guard was textbook...Brilliant.

Puckett finally looked like the shooter/ball player she is suppose to be...Nice arc on the demon ball...

Without Key this team is very ordinary...Her presence is like a brick wall on an interstate....
As pointed out by some brilliant poster's observations, use your legs and less arm to establish post position,especially against a shorter opponent....Too much arm makes you look like the aggressor...

Dye is definitely a major player....Stay healthy young lady.

Darby had a very forgettable game....Keep practicing young lady.

Walker battled all night long....

Green stood tall in the paint....

Stripln looked like a freshmen, enough said about her for now...It will come.

Wynn needs to develop a dependable outside shot to go with her nice lane drives..

Rennie and Emily, I know you guys are trying...Make yourselves valuable in practice.

Straightforward analysis. Strong post. Nice job, Game Time!

I kept noticing during the game that all the single digit players were playing quite well. I really liked what I saw from Puckett. She had two really big scores late in the game ... she didn't shrink from the moment or hesitate or force anything. Miles looks like a player too.

I am really hoping to see Darby have a bounceback game tomorrow - hit a couple 3s and stay in front of her man.

Players like Darby judge themselves more harshly than any fan will. At least we didn't lose, she probably would have blamed herself.

Bingo. She gets a chance to start and prove that she's capable of more than garbage minutes, but let the pressure of the situation get to her. There is NO ONE feeling that that let down more than she is.

If the coaches can get the fear out of playing at this level out of Puckett she can be a major contributor for this team. You can put her in at the four which she can guard quite well and have a player that can pop out for the three as well as score inside. She made two huge plays in this game and no reason she can's make that seven or eight huge plays in a game. Right now you can see she is a little in awe and not quite certain of when to try to make a play. Her decision to shoot that three and make that drive have to give her some confidence going forward were going to need her to score if Burrell is out a while.

I also want to add… if Tess’ shots fell even 50% we’d be speaking differently about her play this game. She’s fine. While her defense wasn’t AMAZING, a huge oart of that is guarding players she wouldn’t have been tasked with if she had Jordy, Rae, TK able to be on the floor. This also would have made space for her to score as well as allowed us to not rotate as much leaving players open because when opposing teams drive in the paint they know they have to deal with TK(whom will average over 4 blocks this season)

Love the way Key and Jordan went to bat for Tess! I know that had to be tough on her last night, sis was getting beat on defense almost every play it seemed like, and then her shots weren’t falling!

We’re going to need Tess’s shooting this season if we’re going to steal the BIG games. I hope she wakes up and quick.

That was a terrible showing! Where are the shooters??? We are going to be in SERIOUS trouble if Rae is out for the season. Even if she is ok, we are not going to finish second in the SEC. They looked lost out there! Our prehistoric offense is so boring! Do we even run plays? Or do we just run down and first person to get an opening shoots??? Label me whatever you want for being “negative”, but we looked absolutely terrible! A good team will embarrass us!

This is why we need Justine and why we need to get Madi Hawk...we were 0 for 9 to start outside the arc and ended 2 for 15,,,0 for 12 through 3 quarters... @GameTime yelled it last year,,,we need players who can hit the 3 ball. I'm agreeing

I also want to add… if Tess’ shots fell even 50% we’d be speaking differently about her play this game. She’s fine. While her defense wasn’t AMAZING, a huge oart of that is guarding players she wouldn’t have been tasked with if she had Jordy, Rae, TK able to be on the floor. This also would have made space for her to score as well as allowed us to not rotate as much leaving players open because when opposing teams drive in the paint they know they have to deal with TK(whom will average over 4 blocks this season)

0 for 6 is not fine even if 4 shots were 3's...If your shots not falling take it to the rack and hopefully get either a make or a foul shot so you can see the ball go in...Often doing this, IS the difference in staying or breaking a shooting slump

Love the way Key and Jordan went to bat for Tess! I know that had to be tough on her last night, sis was getting beat on defense almost every play it seemed like, and then her shots weren’t falling!

We’re going to need Tess’s shooting this season if we’re going to steal the BIG games. I hope she wakes up and quick.

I'm not concerned about her shooting, anyone can go 0-4 in a small sample. She's a natural shooter. I do worry about the defense she put on tape. Smart teams are going to ISO on her until she shows she can stop it.

Reactions: mcannon1
0 for 6 is not fine even if 4 shots were 3's...If your shots not falling take it to the rack and hopefully get either a make or a foul shot so you can see the ball go in...Often doing this, IS the difference in staying or breaking a shooting slump

That I agree with.

However that also comes with more game time and not being so anxious to make the big shot that’ll change the momentum of the game. I said “she’s fine” not her play was fine.

I’m not going to come on top of her head like many have and say she needs to transfer because that isn’t true. I see the flashes of how she can help this team and she will. 😁

But that's not her skillset, Coach. She's JJ Reddick, not Steph Curry.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I'm not concerned about her shooting, anyone can go 0-4 in a small sample. She's a natural shooter. I do worry about the defense she put on tape. Smart teams are going to ISO on her until she shows she can stop it.
Sorry, hit wrong button

She can make threes but thus far other than the exhibition and practice it hasn't happened that often. She needs a breakout game where she hits her first two or three and think she will gain the confidence she needs. The way she shoots it in practice and games is two different players right now.

I think it's very concerning almost losing to SIU. If we're having trouble w them...what the heck is the SEC gonna do to us? I certainly don't see a dominant type team this year. SIU isn't even that highly regarded as a mid major. Hopefully just rusty coming out of the gate...but if this is an indication of what this team is....it's gonna be a long...painful season. I hope not...and Go Lady Vols.

I think it's very concerning almost losing to SIU. If we're having trouble w them...what the heck is the SEC gonna do to us? I certainly don't see a dominant type team this year. SIU isn't even that highly regarded as a mid major. Hopefully just rusty coming out of the gate...but if this is an indication of what this team is....it's gonna be a long...painful season. I hope not...and Go Lady Vols.

if you remember last year, Coach K does this early in the season,,,,experimentation with lineups, frequent subbing ,letting the team struggle. It's her pattern,,, so I am not going to overreact like last year

if you remember last year, Coach K does this early in the season,,,,experimentation with lineups, frequent subbing ,letting the team struggle. It's her pattern,,, so I am not going to overreact like last year

Me either Coach......
tbbt-the-big-bang-theory.gif

VN Store

Back