Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 59 - Southern Illinois 49

Looking over the stats, you'd think the LVs at least semi dominated. Shot 43%, won boards by large margin, only 10 t.o.s. Glaring deficiences in 3 pt and ft shooting, but still a 10 pt win.

Then why did they look so bad, and why did they lead only 31% of the game? I'm not trying to be overly negative and even given the personnel losses, this team appears to have a ton of work to do to be SEC ready.
Let's just take the SEC only one team SC could play without there top 2 players and there 3rd in foul trouble and still win by 10 when favored by 13 and hold team to just 49 points playing so many new players. Yes there will be plenty to work on and yes team will improve. Hopefully Rae will be fine losing an AA is tough blow. In CHRIST Alone

Players like Darby judge themselves more harshly than any fan will. At least we didn't lose, she probably would have blamed herself.

Man, if a LV has a bad game the troll posters here are like vultures, declaring you dead and feeding on the carcass. There's so much hatred out there among these trolls for our program and it's legacy of success and excellence. And there's so much irrationality from some of our own fans who expect a national championship every year, even from a coach in a program rebuild mode. It makes me angry at both of groups, and I like to work off that anger by giving it back to them in like kind.

Players like Darby judge themselves more harshly than any fan will. At least we didn't lose, she probably would have blamed herself.
And a popular hoops page just posted her getting her ankles broken if I were Tess I would just not look at my phone for a day or two

Reactions: Rooster1
Some of you need to calm down. It's the first game of the year. True Kelly has a lot of video data to go over with the team. They obviously wanted to run the offense through Key. First trip down they isolated TK and got her the ball. I think she was not expecting the level of physicality she received. I believe she got pushed off of her first shot. It would have been a foul anywhere else on the court but they were letting the big girls play. TK allowed herself to get frustrated and made silly fouls. One time I thought she could have got a flagrant.

The offense wasn't working and Rae did the right thing and took over and worked to get her own shots. Smooth as silk she looked great. Every player deferred to her, Dye included. Then the tragedy. Dye then took over and looked great for a burst. She and Rae would be a fantastic pair of wings.

The freshmen took half a game to get their legs under them. Puckett's corner 3 oozed confidence. Miles was great and shut down their little guard who made 3 early 3's that gave SIU some confidence. And Walker should get an assist. She was always in Miles' ear at every break in action. Great job by an upper classman.

All in all not the disaster that some are claiming. Some things were good, others were not. But it's a marathon and not a sprint. Pray Rae is well and hope TK plays with more maturity. Give the freshmen 6 or 8 games and then you'll have a better idea about them.

They may need to repaint the film room after KJH gets through with them ;)

Man, if a LV has a bad game the troll posters here are like vultures, declaring you dead and feeding on the carcass. There's so much hatred out there among these trolls for our program and it's legacy of success and excellence. And there's so much irrationality from some of our own fans who expect a national championship every year, even from a coach in a program rebuild mode. It makes me angry at both of groups, and I like to work off that anger by giving it back to them in like kind.
Whoa Nelly! Vultures? Carcasses? Irrational hatred? Seems a bit melodramatic.

First trip down they isolated TK and got her the ball. I think she was not expecting the level of physicality she received. I believe she got pushed off of her first shot. It would have been a foul anywhere else on the court but they were letting the big girls play. TK allowed herself to get frustrated and made silly fouls. One time I thought she could have got a flagrant.
Rinse, repeat.

As TK begins the second half of her career, I'm beginning to despair that this is ever going to change, at least until she goes all Mercedes Russell on us and becomes a great WNBA player. Call me a negative nabob, but to see her come out tonight and repeat the exact all too familiar pattern you described is very discouraging. I fear opposing coaches know exactly how to make her a nonfactor,

Some of you need to calm down. It's the first game of the year. True Kelly has a lot of video data to go over with the team. They obviously wanted to run the offense through Key. First trip down they isolated TK and got her the ball. I think she was not expecting the level of physicality she received. I believe she got pushed off of her first shot. It would have been a foul anywhere else on the court but they were letting the big girls play. TK allowed herself to get frustrated and made silly fouls. One time I thought she could have got a flagrant.

The offense wasn't working and Rae did the right thing and took over and worked to get her own shots. Smooth as silk she looked great. Every player deferred to her, Dye included. Then the tragedy. Dye then took over and looked great for a burst. She and Rae would be a fantastic pair of wings.

The freshmen took half a game to get their legs under them. Puckett's corner 3 oozed confidence. Miles was great and shut down their little guard who made 3 early 3's that gave SIU some confidence. And Walker should get an assist. She was always in Miles' ear at every break in action. Great job by an upper classman.

All in all not the disaster that some are claiming. Some things were good, others were not. But it's a marathon and not a sprint. Pray Rae is well and hope TK plays with more maturity. Give the freshmen 6 or 8 games and then you'll have a better idea about them.

They may need to repaint the film room after KJH gets through with them ;)
Man, this person rubs me wrong. I’m talking disingenuous like you were taught to recognize by your parents and told to ignore And say nothing. I guess I failed that lesson, but I take too much pleasure in pointing them out, I know it is a bad trait, I was taught right. I just cannot help myself on this person.

Flip Wilson would say “the devil made me do it”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back