Do we need to get nervous about recruiting?

You'd have to think UT has been negative recruited to death this cycle. It is what is. Heupel.. Unless he can't talk should be able to sell whatever he wants to sell at UT at this point. Unlike a certain brick layer ( who was sloppy and didn't wipe his mortar joints) and a certain cornbread loving cousin humper he has actually proved it on the field. I can't see why kids wouldn't want to play offense for him. The defense needs immediate help that you won't get from Highschool kids. You have to think he's going to work overtime in the portal this cycle.. Makes the most sense. UT has created some positive buzz with on field production, not empty promises and used car salesman pitches with corny slogans. That has to help i'd think. Smoke and mirrors aren't what this bunch is selling.

Since firing of Fulmer 4 head coaches and the last left this program in the worst shape ever due to sloppy cheating. Every Sec program has hammered thie sanctions which is still speculation as to what we will get as TRUTH. Using same Rivals site we still sit at 32 in country and quite frankly outside of GA Ala Tex AM and Lsu the difference between Tn Class and the rest is maybe 1 player. To put it in perspective 3 kids that are bottom type 250 kid versus Top 400 type. These kids watch film and you evaluate which ones you take. Perfect Example Horton WR going to Miami. Tn coaches wanted Nimrod much more than him. It will be good 👍 👌. Be happy 😊. In CHRIST Alone

The question I have is how many can we sign? We are reducing the number of scholarships and it is my understanding that transfers count against your initial counters so if I understand this correctly, if you take 5 transfers, then you can only sign 20 recruits (fewer for UT). There was talk that the NCAA might change some of the rules but I don’t know what came of that. A lot of the kids that were in the portal last year never signed signed with anyone because of this rule.
They did approve being able to sign up to 32 now if you have had transfers. We potentially can bring in 32, but we really need 8-10 to be transfers. I assume we will lose a few others to the portal. Have to shore up the OL, RB, DB, LB with some depth that can play immediately.

Reactions: Raebo
Besides the NCAA issue, according to what Basilio is reporting, another big part of why we are struggling is NIL. He is reporting that we are way behind other schools in terms of presenting NIL opportunities to recruits and the reason has to do with a lack of trust, communication, or just overall relationship between Danny White and our big money boosters (particularly our "old money" boosters). Danny has evidently rubbed a lot of them the wrong way and they are not on the same page on several key issues. One of which is how to present NIL opportunities to recruits. This is effecting basketball recruiting as well.

the rich crybabies will eventually get over Fulmer and slowly start coming back around. Right now, they probably have their lips all firmly planted on the titans behind.

Last edited:
I would rather Take a quality transfer player for two years and build the progress on up and then start recruiting once you get the program close to where it once was but right now if I was him Heiple I would concentrate on good quality transfer players

Reactions: Sara Clark
Besides the NCAA issue, according to what Basilio is reporting, another big part of why we are struggling is NIL. He is reporting that we are way behind other schools in terms of presenting NIL opportunities to recruits and the reason has to do with a lack of trust, communication, or just overall relationship between Danny White and our big money boosters (particularly our "old money" boosters). Danny has evidently rubbed a lot of them the wrong way and they are not on the same page on several key issues. One of which is how to present NIL opportunities to recruits. This is effecting basketball recruiting as well.

If this is accurate this is REALLY bad juju. One of the ways a program which has been down to make a quick come back is to embrace new rules, tactics, and technologies quicker and easier than their opponents do. If we're behind the NIL curve that doesn't work in our favor at all.

Reactions: jeff1vol
I can see this happening- would like to hear more - think someone ( dw) needs to have / develop great relationships with key boosters - have a great NIL program-
That should be job 1 and job 2 for most ad’s.

I can see this happening- would like to hear more - think someone ( dw) needs to have / develop great relationships with key boosters - have a great NIL program-
According to Tony B. its a big reason why we lost Walter Nolan.

Last edited:
I would rather Take a quality transfer player for two years and build the progress on up and then start recruiting once you get the program close to where it once was but right now if I was him Heiple I would concentrate on good quality transfer players

The thing is we need offensive linemen, defensive linemen, and linebackers. We are thin in all three areas and it shows in the 4th quarter of most of our games this year.

The staff is doing a great job, this thread is not intended to criticize the staff. They were handed a very ****** situation.

If you are a talented senior right now and had a school that offered the following, wouldn't you be awfully tempted to sign w that team?

* Join one of the most explosive offensive schemes in the country
* Join a team with a stadium like Neyland
* Play for a (young) coach who has a very successful history in college football
* Practice at some of the best football practice facilities in the country
* Live in the mild climate of East Tennessee
* Attend classes with some of the prettiest women on the planet
* And most importantly, BE ON THE FIELD, NOT THE SIDELINES, IMMEDIATELY!

I say we wind up with a Top 4 class in the SEC and Top 15 in the country. Rocky Top is back!

It's always time to be nervous about recruiting. If you have the #1 class in the nation, you should still be nervous that somebody won't sign, get hurt, get caught selling, etc.

In a way it is kind of sad but recruiters need to carry NIL contracts in their pocket. That contract will be the most important thing in the decision making process for many recruits,

I think recruiting will pick up soon for the Vols. We’re beginning to get some positive media for a change. Upsetting UK at their home shows that we can take the fight anywhere and that we don’t rely on “home field advantage” for a quality win (and honestly the Vols were sloppy against UK, but still came together and pulled off the win). Execution on the field displays the type of coaching the players are getting. Their ability to snap back from adversity shows the team chemistry, bond, and willingness to give their all to achieve the win. This team demonstrates that it can do all these things. The cloud of the NCAA penalties is beginning to dissipate, so other schools can’t use that line against us. If we win the 2 remaining games that we are supposed to win and perform well against Georgia (preferably win, but at least do better than any team that has played them), then I think people will see that we are moving in the right direction and that it’s just a matter of time before we are competing with the elites. Once our bowl plans become more solidified, I think we’ll begin to see more activity in recruiting. We should be ranked by the end of the season. That’ll help with recruiting as well, especially considering we were predicted to be near the bottom of the SEC. We really need to take advantage of Clemson, Florida, and LSU having down years and controversy.

Last edited:
Yes, we need to be nervous. The Hype must pick it up on the recruiting trail if we want to be relevant in the SEC again.

Yes, we need to be nervous. The Hype must pick it up on the recruiting trail if we want to be relevant in the SEC again.

Scholarship reductions. NCAA still looming. Caches can still use that to negative recruit against us. None of this is JH fault. This class will be the worst signing class in 20+ years. And some are gonna knock Heupel for it and use to bash him. Sad.

My main problem with recruiting is, what it really is and not what it should be. Recruiting has become this joke where coaches are taking high school kids on paintball trips, or like Saban, letting them test drive his imported sports cars. Now with potential commercial sponsorships thrown into the mix, it places TN at an even bigger disadvantage. Coaches like Heupel, Leach, or Mullen who don't engaged in any of the nonsense end up losing out.

Last edited:
In a way it is kind of sad but recruiters need to carry NIL contracts in their pocket. That contract will be the most important thing in the decision making process for many recruits,

Somehow I don't think that Alabama, Georgia, A and M will be slow to pick up on this new trend. DW should have already designed and developed a robust NIL program, but you can only go as far as your Boosters will take you, and you are competing
with some programs with some very deep pockets. That Athletic Department has a small school feel to it, so not sure who UT has heading up NIL. We likely will never have NIL to compete with say Texas - and a few others. The landscape is changing - are we going to be competitive or are we not. We have very few boosters with deep pockets I am afraid.

Somehow I don't think that Alabama, Georgia, A and M will be slow to pick up on this new trend. DW should have already designed and developed a robust NIL program, but you can only go as far as your Boosters will take you, and you are competing
with some programs with some very deep pockets. That Athletic Department has a small school feel to it, so not sure who UT has heading up NIL. We likely will never have NIL to compete with say Texas - and a few others. The landscape is changing - are we going to be competitive or are we not. We have very few boosters with deep pockets I am afraid.
You have alumni like Manning who could probably have his agent set up potential recruits with commercial contracts.

Scholarship reductions. NCAA still looming. Caches can still use that to negative recruit against us. None of this is JH fault. This class will be the worst signing class in 20+ years. And some are gonna knock Heupel for it and use to bash him. Sad.

We're not going to be hit with scholarship reductions or a bowl ban and even if we were facing them you mean to tell me Mizzu, UK and USCjr are more desirable landing spots? Please!

Penn State did much better with recruiting while under unprecedented sanctions than we are right now.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog

VN Store

Back