Thoughts on the Kentucky game (long read)

What was Kentucky’s third down conversation percentage last night? I don’t have the number but it was insane. Almost assuredly at 90%. We got outplayed
Good for them. Didn’t help them score more points though. We took the lead with 9 min left in the 3rd quarter and never let it go. This is a game where standard statistics don’t tell the whole story. I would argue that Kentucky’s defense played worse than ours. We constantly scored in like 4 play drives, like you said, I don’t have the numbers but it was insane.
I’m also guessing you didn’t watch the video…check it out, they were very complimentary of us and according to them, the advanced statistics favored us and well according to them, we outplayed Kentucky.

I just think it’s very entertaining reading the Kentucky board and see them complain about how unfair our offensive tempo is.

Good for them. Didn’t help them score more points though. We took the lead with 9 min left in the 3rd quarter and never let it go. This is a game where standard statistics don’t tell the whole story. I would argue that Kentucky’s defense played worse than ours. We constantly scored in like 4 play drives, like you said, I don’t have the numbers but it was insane.
I’m also guessing you didn’t watch the video…check it out, they were very complimentary of us and according to them, the advanced statistics favored us and well according to them, we outplayed Kentucky.
Yes, I watched the video after my comment and they made a lot of sense. Maybe I am just too old school and not adapting to modern football rapidly enough. It just drives me to apoplexy seeing us get pushed around and off the ball like that. That just ain’t the way the General would have done it 😉

Reactions: orangejuice
Thanks for great post as usual.
I think why Small did not finish is because he actually caused one of Hookers fumbles and also he is poor blocker, two times Hooker was sacked behind line Small missed blocks.

Also, as far as linebackers both Beasley and Banks led the team in tackles, because we only had 4 defensive linemen put a lot of pressure on them. I do think our missed tackles were issue by LBs and entire defense. It seems often our defender runs past the runner instead of squaring up to the runner.

I don’t know what it is going to take to get better at stopping 3rd downs, but it seems we do better when we rush on 3rd downs. Levis did not seem comfortable when being rushed but we did it only few times.

As far as Stoops I think he was probably warned about cursing and continue to do it. He has reputation of cursing the officials over the top, even the KY fans say as much in their message board.

Small did bump into Hooker.
However, I think Hooker sometimes steps into traffic instead of setting a better, deeper pocket after the snap.
Our DC is very limited with our current defensive roster.
We just can not get any rush out of our front four (a common theme since Barnett was here).
Must recruit at least one excellent pass rusher if one is to be found in the portal.
At LB, same story. Beasley, bless his heart, is doing all he can. We need more talent there and for Mitchell to heal.
Dont need to address lack of talent in back four. But credit our “Cookie Monster“ for the defensive play of the game.
It’s taking this old timer awhile getting used to having a quick strike offense that leaves our defense on the field for so long.
But if it means more wins, I will happily adjust.
Go Vols! Beat Georgia and shock the world !!

Last edited:
Ok, fair enough, how about “we were physically WHUPPED”. Don’t get me wrong. I am laughing all the way today knowing that we basically stole a win. Overjoyed for the kids. But 19 times out of 20, if you get dominated on the Defensive line the way we did last night you are going to lose. We can’t have a repeat of that, especially next Saturday. Tackling practice top of the priority list this week I think
You are still only analyzing one side of the ball. We did get to run some plays on offense too.

How many times will a team lose when they average 9.8 yards per play from scrimmage, as Tennessee did last night? Tennessee only ran 47 plays (27 rushing attempts, and 20 passing attempts), but amassed 461 total yards of offense (461 yards / 47 plays = 9.8 yards per play). Screw 3rd down efficiency. We rarely even saw a 2nd down.

Reactions: Warriorvol
I know it can be tipping your hand on the field and on tape, but do we need Banks and/or Beasley on the field for 4th and 24? Or even 3rd and 10 against Corral? Seems I'd opt for closing speed, tackling and coverage skills in third or fourth and long....especially if I'm trying to spy. The QB scramble has killed us across multiple games.....and in several instances its 3rd and double digits (i.e. obvious passing down) long. If it's broke, try and fix it.

Stoops deserved the flag. He was acting the idiot.

Maybe he was. But I have to say, those idiot refs missed an obvious facemask on us. And had they caught it, that is a difference of thirty yards plus the yards the sack gave us. That was another game changing mistake by our brilliant, professional oh so competent officials. This one just happened to go our way this time. However, I would much rather have competent refs that do not have their heads up their backsides, and we win on our own merits without their help.

I have to wonder if the face mask wasn't called because Stoops had been yelling, screaming and acting like an idiot to the officials on his side all night long. He does this every game. That official may have thought, watch this old boy, I'm going to give you something to belly ache about for sure. His screaming at officials all the time must have some effect on how the official decides what to call and what not to call.

The facemask was not called because the refs did not have their head in the game. I was not paying attention where the refs were at the time, or what each one's angle was, but how many of them are watching behind the line of scrimmage? I would expect a facemask I could see right away from my living room would be seen by at least one of those morons. But if your theory is right about their thinking?All the more reason for the conference to take ownership for how the official's perform. I have been to high school games with immature officials. You would think the college level would expect better.

Concerning your comments on Wright. I thought he was supposed to have elite speed? If so, he didn’t use it when he broke loose on a couple of his carries. If what he showed was his top speed then we’ve been misled.
Runs with poor pad level too.

I have to wonder if the face mask wasn't called because Stoops had been yelling, screaming and acting like an idiot to the officials on his side all night long. He does this every game. That official may have thought, watch this old boy, I'm going to give you something to belly ache about for sure. His screaming at officials all the time must have some effect on how the official decides what to call and what not to call.
I guarantee you Stoops said something that made it personal. He said something that contained “you” or “you’re”….. I guarantee you.

Interception return for a touchdown was the difference in the game.
I think the last possession of the first half that resulted in a field goal was the difference. The pick 6, the field goal, and the last defensive stand were what held this game for us.

First the bad:

-That's the worst defensive performance, by far, of the season. It's also the worst defensive performance I can remember that ended in a Tennessee win in a long time. Especially considering that Kentucky's offense has not been good this season. The missed tackles were ridiculous. Busts in the secondary. Very little pressure on the QB. Allowing more QB rushing yardage (that HAS to be figured out). The off week helped Tennessee get healthy, but it didn't seem to help the defense at all. They regressed.

-Tiyon Evans just cannot be counted on. Heupel needs to sign at least 2 RBs in this class and Wright/Beckwith/Whitehead need to develop before next season. I thought Evans would be fine after his injury against SC because he was doing backflips after the game and looked fine on the sidelines. But then he didn't play against Ole Miss and played sporadically against Bama. I thought he'd be fine against Kentucky because he played some against Bama and had 2 weeks to heal. Then he takes one hit and doesn't play again. But then he looks fine on the sideline and celebrating after the game last night. I think this is a case of a guy not knowing the difference between being injured and being hurt. He's Tennessee's best RB, but if this is his M.O., it may be time to move on from him until he's ready to play at less than 100%. And did Small get hurt again? Why did Wright finish the game?

-The flag on Stoops after the missed facemask call was awful. I'm glad it didn't decide the game, but it could have. One of 1,000 reasons football is better than basketball is the impact that officials have on basketball. I hate the discretion given to refs for giving technicals because they don't like something a coach says. Let's keep that crap out of football. With targeting and the sensitivity of PI calls now, referee impact seems to be growing in football and I hate that.

-Tennessee was probably outplayed by Kentucky. Lost the yardage battle, fumbled 3 times (only lost 1), and the time of possession was very one-sided.

-Our Linebackers were terrible last night. Beasley had an awful game.

The good:

-Tennessee found a way to win in spite of being outplayed. That's the sign of a winning culture and a winning program. These kids believe they should win and the effort is never lacking. I love feeling this way again...that feeling that we'll find a way to win, even on off nights.

-Jeremy Banks had no personal fouls or stupid plays. Good for him.

-Wright looked better at RB than he has before. Maybe he's figuring things out and finding holes.

-Heupel's playcalling continues to be outstanding. As bad as the defense was last night, the offense was that good. It's amazing how open he gets WRs in this offense. And remember, Kentucky's strength all year has been its defense. No one has put up numbers on UK's defense like that.

-Three big "what-if" plays last night that would have made the margin more comfortable if they'd gone Tennessee's way: 1) Hyatt barely stepping out of bounds on the would-be long touchdown early in the game (3rd possession, maybe?). We fumbled on the next play, then they scored a TD. That's a 7-14 point swing (depending on what UK would have done having to go a longer field after the would-be TD); 2) On 3rd and 10, Hooker barely overshot Tillman on a post that would have been a TD. Then Tennessee failed to convert on 4th down. 7-14 point swing; 3) On 3rd and long (10 or 15 yards), Tennessee got a rare stop on a pass breakup, but Slaughter was called for a hold away from the play, giving UK a 1st down. He did tug the jersey, but it was close to within 5 yards, had no impact on the play, and usually isn't called. Had that ref kept his flag in his pocket, Kentucky punts for the only time that game. Instead they ended up with a TD. 7 point swing. Those 3 plays were the difference in 21-35 points.

-Cedric Tillman has become a very good SEC WR. I've said it before, but if he can pick up a half-step in speed this offseason, he'll be a household name and high draft pick next year.

-Hendon Hooker will be a legit Heisman candidate in this offense next year.

-Tennessee beat the #18 team in America on its home field, in a packed house, prime time game. The Vols will likely finish 7-5 in Heupel's first season. None of those things seemed like realistic possibilities before the season. Safe to say he has his signature win for Year 1 and, barring collapse, his first season is a resounding success. I thought 6-6 was best case scenario, 5-7 was my best guess, and 4-8 quite possible.

-I expect Georgia to win big next week, Tennessee should destroy Vanderbilt, and South Alabama should be a win (although that's a better team than many realize and may be closer than we'd like).

Man, this team is fun to watch.
You contradicted yourself throughout trying to make a point of Kentucky outplaying Tennessee. Kentucky didn’t outplay Tennessee. Both defenses struggled. Tennessee made the plays when they had to. Tennessee won and that’s all that matters. Oh and my post is much shorter

They got jobbed on the face mask no call. Hated to see them convert 4th down but I would rather win the game after that where there’s no excuses.
They also converted next play for first down eliminating excuses. Coaches should keep their cool

They got jobbed on the face mask no call. Hated to see them convert 4th down but I would rather win the game after that where there’s no excuses.

Are you saying that Baron's fingers ever penetrated the facemask and he grasped it? If so please post a pic showing that. Freak has the game up on this site. Go to 2:24:10 and :11 which has the best view of the play and cut and paste where he does. His forearm, wrist and hand absolutely covered the facemask, in fact you can see his thumb going up not over the facemask and his strait out fingers going all the way to the chinstrap snap, and then follow these same body parts as they slide across and off the facemask before the QB goes down. I can be convinced with some evidence that he GRASPED the facemask. Please reply with the evidence so I get the alert to see it. I will end with the rule one more time.... The guys head did respond to the pressure of the hand and arm as he pulled away, but see below... NO GRASP NO FOUL. that AND is important. You can grasp and not twist turn or pull or twist turn or pull with no grasp., happens all the time during tackles with forearms, biceps, shoulders, ear holes, etc. Language is pretty clear. Thanks in advance for the visual evidence you are using to make your decision they got jobbed.

Rule 9.1.8:

“No player shall grasp and then twist, turn or pull the facemask, chin strap or any helmet opening of an opponent.”

You contradicted yourself throughout trying to make a point of Kentucky outplaying Tennessee. Kentucky didn’t outplay Tennessee. Both defenses struggled. Tennessee made the plays when they had to. Tennessee won and that’s all that matters. Oh and my post is much shorter

You missing the point is not me contradicting myself. I actually said it was a good thing that Tennessee was able to win a game like that. Great programs find ways to win those by making plays when it matters.

Oh, and I disclaimed "long read" in the title in case that was an issue for some.

VN Store

Back