Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should empathize with everyone, always. Understanding why people do what they they do/are what they are is always beneficial.
I think you misunderstand the meaning of empathy. Or apply a completely different definition of the word than I have ever been taught. Some people are not deserving of empathy. Would you empathize with Hitler? Or Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy? You can seek to understand without empathizing.

Jesus will still forgive him even if he is in jail. All he has to do is ask. But Ruggs broke the law and deserves the punishment that should go along with that. I think Jesus would agree.

I don’t really care what Jesus thinks. He was without cars or means. Irrelevant. Just don’t be an idiot and drive 155 mph. Drunk or not. You hurt people doing stupid **** you pay A price. Don’t get why people feel the need to bring a 2000 person old person who can’t possibly relate into this ****. Just don’t drive your car like an idiot and kill those around you. Not hard. Not a Christian thin g

I think you misunderstand the meaning of empathy. Or apply a completely different definition of the word than I have ever been taught. Some people are not deserving of empathy. Would you empathize with Hitler? Or Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy? You can seek to understand without empathizing.
The definition of empathy is seeking to understand. It's putting yourself in their shoes/mind/situation to understand why they do what they do or act how they act or believe what they believe or feel what they feel.

I'm sure that definition isn't set in stone, but I'm fairly confident seeking to understand is the very definition of empathy. Need a philosophy or psychology or English major to weigh in haha

The definition of empathy is seeking to understand. It's putting yourself in their shoes/mind/situation to understand why they do what they do or act how they act or believe what they believe or feel what they feel.

I'm sure that definition isn't set in stone, but I'm fairly confident seeking to understand is the very definition of empathy. Need a philosophy or psychology or English major to weigh in haha
Empathy isn't just to understand, it's also to relate and share the feeling to some degree. It goes beyond just understanding.

I can't bring myself to watch the video.

Part of my training was at the regional burn center. I have seen and helped treat awful burn injuries.

My wife and I are the doctors for Parklands camp for burn injured children. I have been the doc for this camp for 24 years. (Covid has kept it from being 26 years, no camp…or we would be there). Some of my favorite people in the world are burn survivors that I know through this camp.

I can’t watch anything like that.

Sympathy and compassion are both considered synonyms for empathy.

This is in reference to Ruggs murdering a woman, who was heard to be screaming while burning to death. F*** this dude I cannot imagine how I would feel if that was my loved one in the car and some illiterate NFL player had this to say about them.

****, Toney! "We young...everybody makes mistakes..." like he stole a checkbook. GTFO of here. Not sure what is "goofy" about people's reaction to a senseless, unavoidable death.

Last edited:
Lol… Bammers in the General’s Quarters trolling about our recruiting saying Heupel is “beating Saban and Kirby with 2 star player lineup from mid America” or whatever Gump said… Then went on to say they hope Heupel gets it together. Jeez I want to beat them so badly

Reactions: OrangenSC
While in no way am I down playing the severity of Ruggs’ actions, I just have to say it’s a good thing Jesus had a different take than several of you in regards to crime, punishment, and forgiveness. There would be a lot fewer disciples, as well as, a lot fewer books in the Bible. Which is weird considering he was sinless and none of are.
What???...I think you’re confusing sin being forgiven by a Savior with committing a crime that deserves to be punished by society. The punishment brings justice, serves as a deterrent for others and helps the person who committed the crime feel like they have paid their debt. There is plenty in the Bible about punishing criminals. Jesus did not die to fix society by telling criminals that it’s okay what they did. Plenty of criminals in jail that accept that forgiveness and still serve their time.

In some ways, it was premeditated. Not the killing of a woman, but driving drunk. He went out in his fancy sports car. He knew he was gonna drink, he knew he was going to drive. Why else take the car? Then, not only did he drive drunk, he drove recklessly. Dude was doing 156mph. I don't even drive that fast sober. He made a series of bad choices and a 23 year old woman and her dog died because of those bad choices. He deserves to go to jail for that. It's called punishment.
I can’t believe this has to be explained.

I don’t really care what Jesus thinks. He was without cars or means. Irrelevant. Just don’t be an idiot and drive 155 mph. Drunk or not. You hurt people doing stupid **** you pay A price. Don’t get why people feel the need to bring a 2000 person old person who can’t possibly relate into this ****. Just don’t drive your car like an idiot and kill those around you. Not hard. Not a Christian thin g
It’s a Christian thing if you’re a Christian that believes the “2,000 year old person” is also God that can relate to all things because He created them. But, yeah, don’t drink and drive and kill someone.

I must not be explaining myself well. It helps families tremendously knowing that someone who chose to drink and drive and killed their loved one is being punished instead of explaining away their behavior with they did not mean for it to happen so let’s focus on helping them. Don’t really care if the punishment is corrective or want money. Justice brings healing. Lost too many because of this.

Healing doesn't come from justice or the justice system. That is something that has been revealed in study after study of families who fought for and got the death penalty. In followups they explain a temporary relief at conviction and even one post-execution but as time passes they realize that it did nothing whatsoever to help them heal. Many feel empty and directionless post-execution -- they thought it would fix things and when it doesn't they become even more despondent. The problems that were there before remain and no amount of punishment can bring back the lost loved one.

Healing is an internal process. It's something we give ourselves and something we learn to accept. And for many of us it's based in our spiritual beliefs and the concept of forgiveness. In terms of healing, forgiveness is often far more important to the person who feels wronged than it is for the person who did wrong. When we withold forgiveness the only harm we do is to ourselves. The old saying about holding onto anger, grudges, and resentments being akin to swallowing poison and hoping the other person will die is quite apt.

That all said, the justice system is not there to right the wrongs done to us personally. It's there to protect the rules of society, adjudicate disputes, and otherwise see that the if one party violates said laws and rules he or she pays the price for that via money, jail time, service, or any other combination therof. Our feelings as victims or as the survivors of victims is irrelevant to justice. Justice belongs to the state so to speak. Alleged lawbreaking is prosecuted in the name of the state or commonwealth not in the name of the victim and the state sees itself as the party that has been harmed as it's laws have been broken.

You can flog, beat, fine, or do whatever nasty fantasy you can come up with to someone accused of a crime and it won't do a damn thing to help anyone. It's not even justice but revenge.

The same heart that is broken to pieces from the young girl being killed by Henry Ruggs...broken to pieces over a terrible and sad sad tragedy...broken to pieces that she died in such a horrific and painful way (no one, myself included, can truly wrap their minds around how...I cannot even think of a word that can express being burned, meaning I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like...my grandpa was burned in a vehicle accident, he lived a week and a day before he died...seeing him like that, the pain and anguish...only someone that has survived such a thing can know...those of us who haven't, we can't imagine)...my heart is broken to pieces that she was killed in such a senseless and arrogant and selfish act...broken to pieces for her family and friends and those who knew and loved her...broken to pieces that she was killed, Henry Ruggs killed her; did he murder her, ABSOLUTELY not, but he did kill her, and he should be punished to the fullest extent, and EVERYONE should be outraged, angry, and upset at him, he should be absolutely, 100 prosecuted...

My heart and prayers and thoughts go out to the young girl's family and loved ones...I hope they find peace and comfort in Christ Jesus...

The very same Christ Jesus that I hope Henry Ruggs finds peace and comfort and forgiveness and mercy and compassion and humility and prayers and ABSOLUTE LOVE in.

I can be heartbroken for everyone involved. I can cry my eyes out and be disgusted whenever I watched the video; I can be heartbroken and horrified for the girl, and pissed and enraged at Ruggs, while being heartbroken for him, as well. He will have to live with killing someone in such a fashion for the rest of his life. I pray that he goes forward in the rest of his life, honoring the one he took.

My heart is broken for both of them, and I dare for anyone to tell me that it isn't...ALSO, me feeling sadness for Henry Ruggs is in no way playing into the "this is why this stuff keeps happening", anyone who thinks that is no different than Kadarius Toney. I understand the anger, the outrage, the disgust toward Ruggs...not to mention, so many rushing to his defense, while completely forgetting his victim...we see that everyday in society, especially with celebrity; but, I will NEVER support being the "first in line" to watch someone burn/die.

I won't be responding back to replies to this post; i thought long and hard about posting anything at all, before thinking long and hard about what I posted...Ive said what I've wanted, and don't wish to say more. Just thought I'd put that out there for those who feel the need to come at me, for whatever reason; there should be no reason, there's really nothing controversial about what I've said, but...it's the 21st Century, we come at each other for just saying 'hello' these days.

May the good Lord bless and keep and comfort the family and loved ones of that young girl; and, may the good Lord bless and keep and comfort Henry Ruggs (and forgive and show mercy) and his family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back