What gives you confidence in the coaching staff?

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
Or, if you don't, what are you looking for? (recruiting of course, but I don't feel like we'll know that until signing day)

I feel like this is what I ask for everytime we having coaching turnover.

And also, I wish I hadn't seen this. I get my hopes up way too easy. (Not saying anything about the game on the 13th, just that I LOVE seeing our players have success!)

If we’re all being completely honest about where the hype is coming from this year, it’s basically these two things:

1) We have every single right, and it would make total sense, to be playing at or below that South Carolina/Mizzou/Vandy level. We actually had a much more brutal offseason than all of them, even Vandy. Because of the Heupel effect, we’re miles ahead of them. Dooley/Butch/Pruitt would have had us playing at that level in year 1, that’s encouraging.

2) This team just has a ton of fight. They don’t lay down for anyone. You can see a difference in mentality in these players than we’ve seen since Kiffin’s first year. Players will run through a wall for Heupel.

If we’re all being completely honest about where the hype is coming from this year, it’s basically these two things:

1) We have every single right, and it would make total sense, to be playing at or below that South Carolina/Mizzou/Vandy level. We actually had a much more brutal offseason than all of them, even Vandy. Because of the Heupel effect, we’re miles ahead of them. Dooley/Butch/Pruitt would have had us playing at that level in year 1, that’s encouraging.

2) This team just has a ton of fight. They don’t lay down for anyone. You can see a difference in mentality in these players than we’ve seen since Kiffin’s first year. Players will run through a wall for Heupel.
To your point:

Seeing the team fight week in and week out even though we're going against the top teams. This team doesn't lay down as has been in the past.

Improvements. Seems players are getting coached and things are improving every game.

Seems player attitude is miles different than in the past.

The thing I like best is that the team comes out and looks like they have a plan on both sides of the ball at the start of the game and then when they come out at the start of the second half they appear to have made needed adjustments and not look lost or doing the same things that did not work in the first half.

I can't say that we have seen this in quite some time and it indicates coaching and buying into that coaching by the team.

I will also say, that I think that we win the PITT game with were we are playing now as well as the Florida game based upon how they are currently playing and how we are currently playing. Florida seemed to have peaked and regressed since both the Bama game and against us.

Bingo. I'm encouraged that, for the first time in what seems like quite a while, the players' bodies are giving up before their brains are giving up. What I mean is: it's a rebuild, and depth is an issue, but they are showing that they have some fight in them and that's encouraging.

Exactly. Freakin.. exactly.

When was the last time a UT player said “We don’t lose to them” about any team. That’s the talk of a team that knows they can win, we haven’t had that in a LONGGG time.
And that's Tae talkin! He doesn't run his mouth.

I know there were questions about whether CJH would excel at this level, in this conference, and if he was ready for it. I feel like this points to the direction of yes. I think the whole team starts a game thinking they have the chance to win. You can't be defeated before you ever start, and I think that happened in the past, a lot.

What give me concern

Close games were a bit of an Achilles heel for Heupel his last year at UCF. Are the Pitt and Ole Miss games due to depth, a continuance of the 2020 trend, or some combination of the 2? Too early to tell on this.

Too many penalties for my liking. A bit undisciplined at times. Again, this is a UCF trend as well.

The thought process of naming Milton the starter.

What gives me hope

The team comes out and looks prepared at the beginning and end of halves. Coaches make their money in this timeframe and he has done well in this aspect for the most part.

Assembled a decent staff even with the awful timing of the hire date

Team has bought in. Unlike 2018 where the team quit the last 2 games, this team has bought in so far.

Overall, the preparation of this team far exceeds the prior regime. There are a couple of concerns but more confident now than I was at the end of 2018 season.

This ^ Also, Kiff had walk-on guys playing above their heads on the OL in his year here. I think the offense and defense have played better than they had right to considering the roster turnover and injuries. Watching the team play, it feels like our best coaching staff since the days of Kiff.

Pruitt - Supposed defensive guru had constantly confused guys pre-snap. Mingled with the offense way too much without reason.
Butch - Ego was his downfall it seems like. Recruited very well. I think his refusal to change philosophies or bring in a real OC ruined his career here. Also, he didn't seem to have much locker room control either.
Dooley - It's been a few years but I remember some solid offenses. People didn't like working for the guy though, and he didn't recruit well.

For me it's the fact that we've somehow gotten better despite losing our best players. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere and I haven't seen it but how many starters did we have to replace? I can only think of 3 returning starters on each side of the ball. On offense; Velus, Cade, and Darnell. On defense; Alontae, Flowers, and Butler. We also had to replace our kicker and numerous depth guys like J. Johnson, Chandler, Middleton, Lawrence, Emerson, Fields, Labruzza...

I can't think of any team that has replaced 8 starters on offense, 8 on defense, and that much depth and still found a way to improve.

Last edited:
The coaches have wonderful personalities. The players are all bought in and they are giving their all.

The offense WORKS like REALLY WELL. If the offense works that well in year 1 with a bunch of Pruitt orphans and a Hooker then we are in bizznass.

The defense works too! We are way better than we could have thought even after we lost Juwan Mitchell, our most prized defensive transfer.

I'm totally Heuped!

What give me concern

Close games were a bit of an Achilles heel for Heupel his last year at UCF. Are the Pitt and Ole Miss games due to depth, a continuance of the 2020 trend, or some combination of the 2? Too early to tell on this.

Too many penalties for my liking. A bit undisciplined at times. Again, this is a UCF trend as well.

What gives me hope

The team comes out prepared at the beginning and end of halves. Coaches make their money in this timeframe and he has done well in this aspect.

Overall, the preparation of this team far exceeds the prior regime. There are a couple of concerns but more confident now than I was at the end of 2018 season.

On the Milton thing… it’s hard to blame a coach for starting the guy that practiced the best. I mean that’s all you can really go off of. It’s not like you can say “Well Milton was dropping dimes and running the offense to perfection in practice, Hooker was not, but I just have a feeling about Hooker. Let’s start Hooker!”

Hooker isn’t a practice guy. He was very underwhelming in the OW game. When the lights turn on he’s a gamer, very much like Dobbs.

Exactly. Freakin.. exactly.

When was the last time a UT player said “We don’t lose to them” about any team. That’s the talk of a team that knows they can win, we haven’t had that in a LONGGG time.
We never got our asses beat by 27 points by someone like UK. Never needed to be said in the past. Even worse getting beat by Georgia f'ing State

What give me concern

What gives me hope

The team comes out and looks prepared at the beginning and end of halves. Coaches make their money in this timeframe and he has done well in this aspect for the most part.

Team has bought in. Unlike 2018 where the team quit the last 2 games, this team has bought in so far.

Great points here. As he progresses into his tenure, those items will define his overall success. The concerns from UCF have followed him here somewhat. Puzzling in-game decisions with clock management and play selection.

Bingo. I'm encouraged that, for the first time in what seems like quite a while, the players' bodies are giving up before their brains are giving up. What I mean is: it's a rebuild, and depth is an issue, but they are showing that they have some fight in them and that's encouraging.

Adding to this....the guys who are gutting it out this year are the players who will be leading the new guys coming in.

This is the only positive I can come up with in regard to the limited number of scholarship players we have. This core group is the start of it all.

Or, if you don't, what are you looking for? (recruiting of course, but I don't feel like we'll know that until signing day)

And also, I wish I hadn't seen this. I get my hopes up way too easy. (Not saying anything about the game on the 13th, just that I LOVE seeing our players have success!)

Bad news for UK and UGA. We win out.

Great points here. As he progresses into his tenure, those items will define his overall success. The concerns from UCF have followed him here somewhat. Puzzling in-game decisions with clock management and play selection.

He doesn't make puzzling clock management decisions. His play selection has been incredible. We lost our top RB and receivers, have had a patch work OL all season and we are 21st in the nation in PPG. We were 108th last year. We are averaging two more touchdowns a game this year vs last season. The scheme/play calling has been excellent.

Confidence? After the last 15 years, nothing.

Hope? Maybe. The biggest thing so far has been that for once, we appear to have a defensive coaching staff that can at least keep up with the offensive staff and vice versa. I keep thinking, even with Dooley's sheer incompetence, what would it have been like with that offense and anyone but Sal running the defense.

But until we see some recruiting, the hope is false.

He doesn't make puzzling clock management decisions. His play selection has been incredible. We lost our top RB and receivers, have had a patch work OL all season and we are 21st in the nation in PPG. We were 108th last year. We are averaging two more touchdowns a game this year vs last season. The scheme/play calling has been excellent.
play selection has been outstanding at times and pretty bad at times.

A plain and simple answer, CJH sees the whole football field. Get a man open, throw the ball to him!
On defense, pressure your opponent so you make bad descions. I really enjoy, but it also comes with getting players " the coach wants". Hopefully he satisfies all expectations.

VN Store

Back