Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it's that simple. Heupel is successful because his players can execute his system, not necessarily because of raw talent (see: Milton, Joe). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that HB could be successful elsewhere, where the demands are be different, and that not necessarily be a failure on Heupel's part.

I'll call it now though: If HB succeeds elsewhere, and we have any issue at QB in the future, the negas will be out in full force trashing Heupel for letting the next Peyton walk.
If HB goes somewhere else and has great success, then JH will deserve the criticism for not being able to figure out how to use him and letting him walk.

I don't know what will happen with HBs future, but I would take the side that Heupel is most probably right about him...he seems to know what he is about when it comes to QBs.

But...he could be wrong..

I doubt it though.

Something that is kind of refreshing about this Bye week is that the team isn't depending on it heavily to get young guys up to speed to close out the year. It seems as though the past couple of years the Bye week has been used to get young guys MUCH needed practice time because they were needed during the home stretch. However, this year its being used to get guys healthy and young guys practice reps to make them better depth players and more prepared in case they are needed.

Big difference IMO!

Last edited:
Drew Allar’s phone would have 100+ calls/messages from me and the rest of my staff if I was the HC.

I’d have a brand new vehicle waiting for him.
Shoot, there's a 4 star DT and a 4 star RB from Orlando in Penn State's class that I'm sure Heup and crew know. We have a Tim Banks and BJM who are from up north that I'm sure are familiar with more of their players. LSU has a 5 star OT and multiple other players committed. We need to make a run!

He fits the offense. Ball control football. Short passes. Use the middle of the field. Pick your shots. Gattis is doing solid with McNamara. Harbaugh was an NFL QB he hasn’t had another Andrew Luck but his QBs also haven’t been downright awful. Their offense is just stale to begin with, but I think it’s the type of offense HB would be good in. HB makes good, safe decisions with the ball and that’s what that offense is predicated around.

I would just never advise a kid to go play there on offense unless it gets better. Shea Patterson’s numbers were ok, but he was headed to be drafted until he transferred there. There is enough history there now.

If I'm an employee under contract, like a LOI and I took money to move to said location. Company would require me to pay the money back, prorated.

Also, any additional perks like housing stipend, daycare, or car allowance would be forfeit until the end of said contract period. You owe money you took because you didnt fulfill your bargain.

You dont bail in middle of season.
Man, you're stretching that analogy reallllllyyyyyyyy far. He didn't sign a contract to stay for a specified amount of time. We didn't give him money to cover all four years of his education, we pay for it as long as he's here and no more. We didn't give him a relocation package that was contingent upon his staying at Tennessee for four years, he paid his own moving expenses. You may have a point that's worth discussing, but your logic is faltering pretty severely. That analogy of taking a career assignment is nowhere close to how a LOI and college football scholarship is structured.

And on top of it, no company pays you a car allowance or housing allowance or daycare allowance in full up front, they pay it monthly as long as you are employed. If you quit, you don't owe them money for what they would have paid you for your car allowance if you had stayed. Just look at your post and see how illogical it is.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Begging, what say you?
If he knew that in the first place then why leave.

Yeah, but DID he know? He’s obviously lacking in guidance about major life decisions. I admit I wasn’t exactly Einstein at that age either. He sees his buddies all of a sudden looking WAY more competent and able compared to the previous regime.

He probably is a head case, but he could also be the type to value a second chance and to remind teammates to be cautious about jumping ship to greener pastures.

Also, we could use all the 6’7” DTs we can get

If HB goes somewhere else and has great success, then JH will deserve the criticism for not being able to figure out how to use him and letting him walk.

I don't know what will happen with HBs future, but I would take the side that Heupel is most probably right about him...he seems to know what he is about when it comes to QBs.

But...he could be wrong..

I doubt it though.

Agree to disagree. Adapting his system to a 3rd stringer he didn't recruit to start with, and who doesn't show the strengths he feels are important, doesn't make much sense to me. If he's on the roster and he's the only guy you have to play, then yeah. If there are other guys available who you feel can better serve the need, you move on. Some will criticize, but it won't be me.

Put another way, a new Z06 Corvette is an amazing car, but it's useless at Lowe's. I'm sure I could haul some things with it, and could leverage its performance by making a dozen trips real darn fast, but honestly, a good pickup makes better sense. It's all about using the right tool. The only guy qualified to say whether HB is the right tool for Heupel is Heupel. Of course that won't prevent the malcontents from offering their astute opinions, but I'll side with Heup until it's clear I shouldn't.

it was a bad analogy yo not leaving your team when they need you

Those 7 attempts in garbage time vs Tennessee Tech doesn’t indicate a team that needs him.

I’d rather him stay. There’s a chance he could play this year, but the staff doesn’t seem to think he can command this system.

Those 7 attempts in garbage time vs Tennessee Tech doesn’t indicate a team that needs him.

I’d rather him stay. There’s a chance he could play this year, but the staff doesn’t seem to think he can command this system.
Oh I dont think he can. Im happy he's leaving. He needs to do whats best for him...after the season.

Yeah, but DID he know? He’s obviously lacking in guidance about major life decisions. I admit I wasn’t exactly Einstein at that age either. He sees his buddies all of a sudden looking WAY more competent and able compared to the previous regime.

He probably is a head case, but he could also be the type to value a second chance and to remind teammates to be cautious about jumping ship to greener pastures.

Also, we could use all the 6’7” DTs we can get

His lack of playing at WVU is a huge red flag to him returning.

1. ya only get him for one more season, is there value in spending a scholarship for a DL guy that had a shot to stay here and help this year when the bodies were more needed
2. he only played in one game, if he was injured then you got that worry if it was because he wasn't good enough then that's an even bigger worry

Wasn’t he an established starter? So prolly not. Wishing a third stringer good luck doesn’t scream the hypocrisy you’re selling.
Is it hypocrisy if he left in the middle of the season? Henry T did not leave in the middle of the season. I don't like that the left, either.

To be more correct, HB is leaving with 2/3 the season over. Sucks that he made that decision at this point in time considering the next man up if HH is injured. I'll speculate his decision was not made without input from family and Coach H !
He'll be missed if for nothing more than the positive energy he brought to the University since day 1 wearing the Big Orange !

As with all transfers that leave before their time is actually done.

Don't care not a Vol anymore. But I can tell you right now, no one can actually show someone who transferred out and did better somewhere else at the P5 level.
I would actually like to survey that group of transfers and ask them if they would do it again? Is there situation better? Should they have stayed and given the new staff a chance, etc?

I think the results would be mixed with some still wanting a fresh start and others saying they made a mistake.

Don't care not a Vol anymore. But I can tell you right now, no one can actually show someone who transferred out and did better somewhere else at the P5 level.

What? You serious?

Are you talking Vols only? or in general? Cause there are a few notable ones in general.

Toot toot and crouch and that’s just Vols from this last year

What? You serious?

Are you talking Vols only? or in general? Cause there are a few notable ones in general.

Left TN to go to another P5 school and had better careers.

Crouch is the only one that's close. But he also was a RB converted to LB, so in his 3rd year he very well could have been playing at the same level (or better) here that he is at MSU now.

Per game stats though for him and Henry T
Crouch
UT - 5.7 tkls, 0.2 TFLs, 0 sacks 0 ints
MSU - 7.4 tkls, 0.3 TFLs, 0.3 sacks, 0 ints

Henry T
UT - 7.5 tkls, 0.8 TFLs, 0.1 sack, 0.1 int
Bama - 7.4 tkls, 0.3 TFLs, 0.1 sack, 0 ints

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back