Neyland Stadium name change?

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.

Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.
😡

Is it April 1st?

NO, NEVER. The man not only served our great university but also his country admirably. Also, if I am not mistaken we followed his master design for the stadium as well for a long time. We should never take away this man’s and family’s honor by even reconsidering to rename our stadium.

John Ward was a great radio personality and his dedication to his craft also benefitted the university in many ways. We should find a unique way of honoring his service if we have not already.

There's no such thing as a stupid thought. Just stupid people that have thoughts....
Agreed.

And this was definitely one of those.

@utfantilidie , man, you need to read up on General Neyland. I mean, BEFORE you start threads like this.

Here's how legendary Neyland was: Bear Bryant was never able to win against him. Bryant once said (going from memory, might not be precise to the word), "I learned everything there is to know about football from Neyland, except how to beat him."

Four of our six claimed national titles came during the Neyland era: '38, '40, '50, and '51. The list of other accomplishments our program attained under his watch is almost incredible. Things like going an entire season undefeated and without any other team scoring a single point on us.

And beyond even all that, Neyland designed the stadium himself. He was a US Army Engineer officer, and played a big part in planning out how the stadium would be built and even foresaw future expansions. And "General" wasn't a nickname--he had an illustrious military career as well.

You're way off base. And it is hard to believe you didn't already know a lot of this, at least in passing. So one has to ask: are you a troll?

Last edited:

WOW!

By far, the dumbest post I have ever read-- anywhere!

That’s gonna be a no for me. It would be good if they could name something inside the stadium after John Ward though.

Reactions: volnut1

Call your gas company. You’ve got a leak. Bad one.

kangaroo-drop.gif

I personally found John Ward to be scripted, contrived, and self serving! And I go back to where I knew him from doing radio on my high school games! I never did buy into it! "GIVE HIM SIX!"

Hell no.

For a long time it was shared. Neyland was the name of the stadium but the playing field remained Shield-Watkins

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

VN Store

Back