2022 Recruits

The only part I disagree with here is it being a rebuild. Kellie took over a team that was loaded with talent, but had been mismanaged. That is a dream scenario. She had everything she needed from the get go, and just needed to hang onto it. Sure, it takes a bit to install your system and get player development back on track, but this wasn't a cupboard is bare type of situation like the men's football team has faced over and over again where you have a few years recruiting and then a couple years of developing before you can be competitive. It wasn't a situation where our recruiting was lagging previous to the new coach getting here. This was more like needing a tune-up than a complete engine rebuild.

The last class, and the sole player we are getting in this one, are of good quality. It remains to be seen if any will outperform, or underperform their rankings --- which just aren't very accurate in women's basketball anyway. But Kellie needs to make some noise while she still has at least some of what she inherited. And we need to get back to where we are a hot team on the recruiting circuit.
Some talent was still here, but half of them left or were dismissed. Green, Westbrooks, Hayes, Collins all gone. Key and Horston were freshmen and Burrell was no where near the player she has developed into now. So although we still had a few quality players nothing like Holly had the year before. I call it a rebuild more so because attitudes had to be changed and rules and regulations accepted again sometimes that is hard to get across to players that only knew another system.

Honestly, everyone here knows what has to happen in the next couple of years. The coaches know what has to happen in the next couple of years. Tennessee knows what has to happen in the next next couple of years. All this fussing and fuming is just messing with the details at the margins -- well, that, and the particularly motivated sorts who get something out of pushing peoples' buttons.

Right now that is it and the only way to increase it is through the transfer portal unless there is a 2022 recruit we don't know about as our list shows 0.

Toward the end of this season there will be a lot of graduating looking to move on to a destination for an extra year of ball that we might pick up for 22, and/or those freshmen who realize they made a mistake and want to transfer out, etc. There may also be players on the international scene who find their way to Tennessee, a la Vescovi or Marta, etc. And then there's that last part you mentioned. We have no idea of our list matches Harper's list. I would think it more likely than not that it doesn't.

Toward the end of this season there will be a lot of graduating looking to move on to a destination for an extra year of ball that we might pick up for 22, and/or those freshmen who realize they made a mistake and want to transfer out, etc. There may also be players on the international scene who find their way to Tennessee, a la Vescovi or Marta, etc. And then there's that last part you mentioned. We have no idea of our list matches Harper's list. I would think it more likely than not that it doesn't.
Anyway we can do it is fine just has to be done. Signing starts for next season November 10th and runs a few weeks. I think after that you have your roster for next season depending on who you can get as transfers. We know we have Justine we don't know of anyone else. From there it is on to 2023. I honestly believe we will get in the portal for at least two players come March just stating the present as the future is what always changing.

The line is drawn for the 2023 recruiting class and any available transfer not about getting anywhere special in the NCAA. We have to be competitive in the SEC not going to happen unless we get the players for 2023 because a lot of the present talent will be gone.

in the 23/24 season, Key, Saunders, Horston, and Rennie are eligible for 5th year due to Covid. Odds are, some will take advantage and some won't. I could make a case for each of them staying and a case for each of them leaving after 4. The point is, we don't have any way of knowing now for sure, and so drawing lines in the sand about the 23 recruiting class isn't productive, imho.

In my experience, when players leave, it opens the door for others to excel. Kellie has some really good players on the roster and it should surprise no one if one or more of them steps up. I think its too early to panic especially when there's the portal and Kellie has some really good recruiters who have less than one cycle under their belt.

Anyway we can do it is fine just has to be done. Signing starts for next season November 10th and runs a few weeks. I think after that you have your roster for next season depending on who you can get as transfers. We know we have Justine we don't know of anyone else. From there it is on to 2023. I honestly believe we will get in the portal for at least two players come March just stating the present as the future is what always changing.

I think the final date for signing a NLI is May 18, 2022. I take your point that most if not all of the plums will be picked in the early signing period this fall. But you never know who might be available later. Someone may decommit and wind up signing with us. Like the saying goes about recruiting, it ain't over til the fax lady sings.

in the 23/24 season, Key, Saunders, Horston, and Rennie are eligible for 5th year due to Covid. Odds are, some will take advantage and some won't. I could make a case for each of them staying and a case for each of them leaving after 4. The point is, we don't have any way of knowing now for sure, and so drawing lines in the sand about the 23 recruiting class isn't productive, imho.
Key and Horston are not coming back that is a promise I know I can keep. They don't want another season the WNBA is expanding and they will be top prospects in that draft. Saunders and Rennie don't make the situation better JMO I don't expect either to see a lot of playing time this season after the SEC starts. I don't expect anyone to accept me personally drawing a line as 2023 being a must recruiting year. It definitely is yet no one has to see it that way. For me it is just being real to the situation and knowing what kind of talent you need to win in the SEC. So yes to me and maybe me alone it is a must that we recruit a top ten class in 2023 or find the equivalent in the portal or fans are not going to like what they see and that should be easy for most anyone to understand.

Key and Horston are not coming back that is a promise I know I can keep. They don't want another season the WNBA is expanding and they will be top prospects in that draft. Saunders and Rennie don't make the situation better JMO I don't expect either to see a lot of playing time this season after the SEC starts. I don't expect anyone to accept me personally drawing a line as 2023 being a must recruiting year. It definitely is yet no one has to see it that way. For me it is just being real to the situation and knowing what kind of talent you need to win in the SEC. So yes to me and maybe me alone it is a must that we recruit a top ten class in 2023 or find the equivalent in the portal or fans are not going to like what they see and that should be easy for most anyone to understand.

Fair enough. I can see why you think that. I just disagree (as of now), tho respectfully so.

I think the final date for signing a NLI is May 18, 2022. I take your point that most if not all of the plums will be picked in the early signing period this fall. But you never know who might be available later. Someone may decommit and wind up signing with us. Like the saying goes about recruiting, it ain't over til the fax lady sings.
I'm sorry you seem to resent the facts as they are right now. Most of it comes about because of the failures of 2022 which needed three top players. I'm not saying it want be remedied by the time 2023 gets here just saying there are only two ways to do it top ten 2023 class and portal. Let's see what happens. Saying that the coaching staff will have to correct it between now and 2023 class is a line in the sand they have to draw for themselves. I'm not saying it want get done. I'm just saying to continue to be relevant in the SEC it has to happen.

Reactions: Peas29
Still at second tier recruiting just like Kellie and yes we all want to be in the first tier and yes Tennessee is not on to that level. Only a few teams are less than 10 to be exact. Yes we need to improve, but the point I am making is even established coaches go through less than perfect recruiting seasons. Maryland not doing that much right now or Norte Dame which many thought their new coach would light it up. I can come over to your side and agree that were getting to the years that she has to do better and I would definitely say that year four 2023 has to be the first season for that to happen. I know some Tennessee fans don't have patience that is ok with me you notice I don't attack your post when you attack Kellie and recruiting no reason to. I'll lose some patience to if we can't deliver in year four because in the beginning it was a four year rebuild and thus far everything is going very close to what was planned. We recruited well enough in 2021, 2022 needed to do better still getting one top 15 player is better than nothing. 2023 is the year and if we don't have at least a top ten class then you will certainly have the right to tell everyone I told you so.

The important difference is Walz actually has a track record of bringing in elite recruits and making deep runs in March. Kellie doesn't, even though she has actually been a head coach longer...

I'm sorry you seem to resent the facts as they are right now. Most of it comes about because of the failures of 2022 which needed three top players. I'm not saying it want be remedied by the time 2023 gets here just saying there are only two ways to do it top ten 2023 class and portal. Let's see what happens. Saying that the coaching staff will have to correct it between now and 2023 class is a line in the sand they have to draw for themselves. I'm not saying it want get done. I'm just saying to continue to be relevant in the SEC it has to happen.

Volfan2012, we're good. You make a lot of good points. I don't resent any or them or any of the facts of the matter. I'm just going back and forth with you trying to make an over-arching point: Signing day for 2023 may right now look like the make or break event in Kellie's tenure, but it's a long way away, and you never know what the future will bring between now and then.

The important difference is Walz actually has a track record of bringing in elite recruits and making deep runs in March. Kellie doesn't, even though she has actually been a head coach longer...
Sure he had a great record of recruiting at one school and the longevity of the position helped him tremendously. Your not going to do any recruiting at any of the schools she has coached at except NC State and Tennessee. She turned out to be a better coach at NC State than a recruiter and you can't win without talent in the ACC. The present guy hasn't been that great of recruiter, but he has somehow brought a few top 50 players and some other top 100 players into a winning situation there. His actual recruiting has been much worse than Louisville yet he has been able to be competitive and beat them quite a bit on the court. So we can all say she failed to recruit at NC State a real fact. yet the evidence at Tennessee shows she is at least recruiting with the second tier teams like NC State, Louisville in the last two years, everyone in the SEC except South Carolina, Overall not the standard we want but better than she did at NC State and thus far the performance on the court has been far better than what Holly gave us with supposedly better talent. Like I said let's look at what happens in 2023 it is definitely a crucial class, I think it has to be a great one we'll see if it happens.

Volfan2012, we're good. You make a lot of good points. I don't resent any or them or any of the facts of the matter. I'm just going back and forth with you trying to make an over-arching point: Signing day for 2023 may right now look like the make or break event in Kellie's tenure, but it's a long way away, and you never know what the future will bring between now and then.
I totally believe in Coach Harper and think she will definitely come through.

When it comes to Kellie, some here aren't big fans of "facts"... 😢
I think we all make up our own facts sometimes to help our position. I don't think the people that say Kellie has been a total failure at recruiting are anymore right than the ones that say recruiting has been perfect. She has been equal to the task of recruiting players that will help us stay in the top half of the SEC give us a shot at a sweet 16 or possibly a elite 8. We are still way behind UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, a couple of others, but so is everyone else. That is always the objective at Tennessee and I'd like to be there now and were not. I am willing to see it through with her through 2023 and 2024 whether it turns out a success or failure I think any coach deserves that much time certainly has been proven to be about the right amount of time most of the successful coaches needed today.

And yet, after 14 years as head coach, and even though he never was head coach at a mid-major, and even though he inherited an ncaa tourney ready P-5 program in very good condition as his first HC gig, and with all that talent and all that support from his University and fans over all those years, he can't win the big one. That's OK, though, you can keep drooling over him all you want.

(See, there's a glass half empty scenario wherever one tries to find one)

Will not get in between you and Darth Riff and not taking sides and not throwing shades at you or anyone . My take We should be able to get a very good 2023 class. But I will say this i don`t post just to post about prospects. And try not to post to much about the ones that i have very little information on or have not seen play on the court. But the ones i have seen play i will just post just my opinion on that player skill set and what other information i have on that prospect. As for that list of prospects on that list in the 2023 thread. I do know Donovan and McGee are prime targets of Many top schools. I know 3 schools that they are really making a push for McGee and will leave it at that. After talking to a few HS coaches over the summer at a few of the summer league games. One coach i will not share there name said of the players they have talk to. UConn,SC,Stanford,NC ST, MD, Louis, NC ,ect and the list go`s on. And one name that is really starting to make noise is Joni ? i don`t follow her so i can`t say much about her but she is really connecting with some of the players the coach said.

Heard there are 3-4 schools she is really paying attention to and glad TN is among them and UNC is as well. So there are two.

Reactions: Volfan2012

Too bad Darth, he's already taken.
QbqXTagZ.jpg

She is not as “real” as she continuously claims to be. I was shocked at some of the things that I was told. I used to really like her and was happy for her when she started turning things around at Ole Miss. I have no respect for people who try to win at “any” cost, especially when you are molding and guiding young people. That sends a terrible message to them when you are a mentor.

If we gonna talk let's talk... LOL, Coach Yo may not be the only one either👀🍿

alright i'm done 😂

Both Majors and Storrs make good, applicable points that vary by player goals and personalities. Elena Delle Donne and Larry Bird are two notable examples of exceptional talents who left highest-level programs (before even getting started) to go to "lesser" programs due to personal reasons. Every player is different. I often forget how mercurial I was at that age re: my future.

As Rickster says, best wishes to those who go elsewhere (and may they finf personal fulfillment there). We will be okay and get tge players we're meant to have who can be totally LVFL.

Good sign that we've only only lost Jaz and Destiny to transfer since Kellie arrived. Everyone else seems happy and ready to rock out for the Orange.

She also Evina, Mimi, and Zay Green (transferred because she was dismissed). Destiny said something about it not being "her choice" and Jaz landed where some FBC players were go figure.

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back