2022 Recruits

I threw out South Carolina, but Talaysia is tough to get a read on. I know for a fact Georgia led for her and South Carolina led before they signed that 2021 class. It could go either way, IMO. Someone said that Georgia was eliminated and that was not true for Cooper. I just talked to someone close to the situation. I have no clue where she ends up.

Kim Mulkey didn’t need to be at LSU for 3 years to set a standard and get recruits. The difference is she is a prominent coach who players know will win. Say what you want and it’s just my opinion as well, but Kellie was a no name coach to most players who aren’t UT fans. She played at UT in the late 90s and these players were not alive then. She coached at Western Carolina, NC State and Missouri State. She wasn’t exactly a hot name when we hired her. She made a run in the NCAA tournament. Too me, recruiting has been slow because it is much easier to negative recruit against us because she doesn’t have a track record of winning at the biggest level. She may get it together and win big here, but you cannot win championships without great players. She is not getting great players right now. Pat won most her Nattys with a star…Gordon, Holdsclaw, Cathcings, Candace and there more, but you have to have an alpha and those players, in my opinion, don’t trust their careers to be developed by someone they barely know of. As Tennessee fans, we may think everyone knows who Kellie Jolly is…not 18 year old kids of this generation. Unfortunately, we will just have to hope she wins enough at some point to create some buzz. To be honest, Kara Lawson had more name recognition and got a ton of players in the portal. I think Kara will do well at Duke and we will regret we didn’t look at her harder. Again, just my opinion, but I do not see greatness on the horizon in year 3. Sorry if that makes me a NegaVol for not following the company line that we just need to wait one more year to really get some recruits.
Nothing wrong with a little truth every now and then. I’ve been of the belief that Kara will have better success at Duke then folks want to believe. Girls recognize her, watched her and followed her over the years as a player, analyst, NBA asst coach and now head coach. Has to win on the court but has equity that CKH is trying to establish.

I threw out South Carolina, but Talaysia is tough to get a read on. I know for a fact Georgia led for her and South Carolina led before they signed that 2021 class. It could go either way, IMO. Someone said that Georgia was eliminated and that was not true for Cooper. I just talked to someone close to the situation. I have no clue where she ends up.
Dawn usually throws up the bird in the nest and she hasn't done that for Talaysia as of yet. I was not convinced by that post that she has eliminated Georgia. I was a little surprised to see Florida State which may turn out to be the winner. We'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The common denominator between Baylor, UConn and South Carolina back when those coaches took over the programs is that they had NEVER won. There was no tradition and they definitely did not have our facilities. A lot of you all are acting like we were in dire straits when Kellie got hired. We were still making the tournament and getting good recruits. We just didn’t have a good coach. Now, we aren’t getting the top recruits and no matter how good of a coach you are, you aren’t going to win championships without great players.

The common denominator between Baylor, UConn and South Carolina back when those coaches took over the programs is that they had NEVER won. There was no tradition and they definitely did not have our facilities. A lot of you all are acting like we were in dire straits when Kellie got hired. We were still making the tournament and getting good recruits. We just didn’t have a good coach. Now, we aren’t getting the top recruits and no matter how good of a coach you are, you aren’t going to win championships without great players.
The program had a bad reputation toward the end of the Holly era (changing for the better as of this year, I think), the fanbase has a bad reputation, and the state has a bad reputation. Exaggerated and exploited by rival coaches? Oh for sure. But let's not act surprised about any element of it.

No, we’re not doomed…all we need is 1 more year for the players to get to know the assistant coaches………

Kim Mulkey didn’t need to be at LSU for 3 years to set a standard and get recruits. The difference is she is a prominent coach who players know will win. Say what you want and it’s just my opinion as well, but Kellie was a no name coach to most players who aren’t UT fans. She played at UT in the late 90s and these players were not alive then. She coached at Western Carolina, NC State and Missouri State. She wasn’t exactly a hot name when we hired her. She made a run in the NCAA tournament. Too me, recruiting has been slow because it is much easier to negative recruit against us because she doesn’t have a track record of winning at the biggest level. She may get it together and win big here, but you cannot win championships without great players. She is not getting great players right now. Pat won most her Nattys with a star…Gordon, Holdsclaw, Cathcings, Candace and there more, but you have to have an alpha and those players, in my opinion, don’t trust their careers to be developed by someone they barely know of. As Tennessee fans, we may think everyone knows who Kellie Jolly is…not 18 year old kids of this generation. Unfortunately, we will just have to hope she wins enough at some point to create some buzz. To be honest, Kara Lawson had more name recognition and got a ton of players in the portal. I think Kara will do well at Duke and we will regret we didn’t look at her harder. Again, just my opinion, but I do not see greatness on the horizon in year 3. Sorry if that makes me a NegaVol for not following the company line that we just need to wait one more year to really get some recruits.
Kellie took a mid-major to the Sweet 16. Also, if you’ve never been to a practice to see her coach or watched her carefully during a game coaching, then you don’t know coaching. She can flat out coach with the best of them. Recruiting is a process, and depending on what’s happened before a new staff rolls in, the process can sometimes be more difficult or easier.

The program had a bad reputation toward the end of the Holly era (changing for the better as of this year, I think), the fanbase has a bad reputation, and the state has a bad reputation. Exaggerated and exploited by rival coaches? Oh for sure. But let's not act surprised about any element of it.
Fan base has a negative reputation? Never heard this before.

All of your post say GA and SC about Cooper you act like she already eliminated us????

Reactions: volfan__18
We were for a fact in dire straits when Kellie took over in a lot of ways. We shouldn't have made the NCAA that last time with a 7 and 9 SEC record and yes we had the number one class that barley played .500 SEC ball while they were here. Yes you do need great players and we have several already and I am certain more to come in the next couple of seasons.

Reactions: mlindsay
We all know who we consider the great recruiters today right? The main three would be Geno, Dawn, and Kim and there are some others, but I will use these three. Geno first three seasons 12 and 15, 14 and 13, 17 and 11, he then went 24 and 6, 25 and 6, 29 and 5, then a downturn 23 and 11, 18 and 11. then the program took off. There for about four season doesn't look like he was recruiting very well. Then in the next four it got better, and after that elite. Dawn 10 and 18, 14 and 15, 18 and 15, 25 and 10, 25 and 8 first five season. She didn't do to well for three seasons then it got better. She too have a downturn for a couple of season now her program is elite. Kim did well outside of conference play but her first four seasons in conference went 39 and 27. She had a couple more average seasons in conference then she turned it around from there and became an elite program. Point is you got to give a little time to turn things around were in year three and were doing fine.
Geno cheats. Kim and Dawn learned how to be good recruiters over time.

Recruiting is so much more complex than this.

Nothing wrong with a little truth every now and then. I’ve been of the belief that Kara will have better success at Duke then folks want to believe. Girls recognize her, watched her and followed her over the years as a player, analyst, NBA asst coach and now head coach. Has to win on the court but has equity that CKH is trying to establish.
A little truth is right and that would be the part about where Kellie has coached and that she played at Tennessee. The part about Kara is yet to be determined and it don't appear to be happening this season Duke way down the standings if the predictions are truthful. The part about Kim recruiting is a total lie she has recruited no one to LSU except the number 57 player which was going to commit to her at Baylor and changed when she left.

Getting them to buy into the vision of the program and imparting a sense of need for that player probably rates higher than any of the thing you outlined. Tennessee is ticking the boxes during the visits, but it seems like the recruits are leaving thinking that this isn't the right place for them.
More complex. Oldacre has ties to Florida. Recruits don’t usually have firm yes or no about which program to play for. They can have a strong attachment to a place or person, but still want to check out other schools even though they’re pretty sure they won’t go to them. Each recruit is different. Just because they don’t come to UT doesn’t mean we did anything wrong or aren’t good at recruiting. By the way, the Goat Pat Summitt didn’t get every recruit she wanted.

A little truth is right and that would be the part about where Kellie has coached and that she played at Tennessee. The part about Kara is yet to be determined and it don't appear to be happening this season Duke way down the standings if the predictions are truthful. The part about Kim recruiting is a total lie she has recruited no one to LSU except the number 57 player which was going to commit to her at Baylor and changed when she left.

Not sure recruits care too much where the coach played. CKH is in the minority for sure that can say the played at the school she coaches but that is not going to move the needle on landing a kid or not. We as fans like to hold on to the past longer than we should at the expense of getting passed by. Just like in football, we don't really offer players across the country anything different than what other Power 5 schools do now. Back in the late 80's we made an investment into better facilities, bigger arenas and national exposure. Everyone took notice and did the same over time.

She picked a school that plays in front of 1000 fans a game. As opposed to playing for a tradition rich school that has 12-15k fans a game All the playing time she wants...Something isn't right in k-town...
I don't think Tennessee home attendance has been in 5 figures since Coach Summitt left the team. Attendance had actually been decreasing for 3-4 years - until the recent coaching change. The 2018/19 numbers were 8,028 per game. I think that was probably the lowest home attendance since the mid 90's. In 2019/20 attendance increased to 8,645 per game.

VN Store

Back