Pruitt's lawyer says he has the info to burn the whole AD down

Letter clearly shows they do not believe they win a court proceeding so trying to get a settlement before the dirt on Pruitt is made public.

It's hard to comment on this till we know what the NCAA investigation found. If they found very little then I'd say he has grounds to get paid. As a Tennessee fan, I'd love to pay him off if the NCAA found nothing serious to hit us with. This could be good news

We will end up settling with Pruitt. No one wants this to see the inside of the courtroom, least of all UT. We gotta alot of young kids posting here and others who don't know how the world works.

I don't think you know how legal proceedings in the United States' actually work.

If Pruitt's lawyer files a breach or contract suit, claiming that Pruitt was unlawfully fired under the terms of the contract, or that the contract was illegal or non-enforceable, he has to show evidence of this claim.

He can't subpoena communication between boosters, or anything having to do with Barnes or any other coach at this point in the proceedings. He has to show the judge direct evidence of this claim that requires relief.

If he can't do that, the case is going to get dismissed. His attorney isn't dumb, and is not going to file suit and tarnish his reputation by having a case dismissed for not being able to substantiate the claim.

It's hard to comment on this till we know what the NCAA investigation found. If they found very little then I'd say he has grounds to get paid. As a Tennessee fan, I'd love to pay him off if the NCAA found nothing serious to hit us with. This could be good news

Th NCAA already had representative sitting in on the interviews during the investigation, they are the ones that said "those are violations", that ended in those coaches getting fired.

Pruitt was responsible for the actions of those coaches and personnel under him, per the contract he signed. Even if he did nothing directly, UT could still fire him with cause if those under him acted in a way that did, or likely would lead to level I or II violations.

Last edited:
The approach of the respective schools is different. Firing a coach with cause, is basically signaling that the terms of a settlement will have to be negotiated, and ultimately, the financial compensation will be for an amount much lower than the buyout, as stated in the employment contract. It looks like the two sides are way apart on that amount, and Pruitt's lawyer is getting frustrated, and has now resorted to making retaliatory threats. It's not a big leap from that letter to extortion.

When it comes to LSU and Ed Orgeron, LSU did not fire him with cause, so they are signaling that the full amount of the absurd buyout will be honored.
LSU actually negotiated the buyout with Orgeron.

Probably getting ready to lose his job with the Giants and will be too toxic to get back into the college game til this blows over.

Giants are 1-5 and Judge is probably getting fired himself or offering up some sacrificial lambs to buy himself some time.
This ^

Since the NCAA isn't investigating it's pretty safe to say they have found nothing.

I don't think you know how legal proceedings in the United States' actually work.

If Pruitt's lawyer files a breach or contract suit, claiming that Pruitt was unlawfully fired under the terms of the contract, or that the contract was illegal or non-enforceable, he has to show evidence of this claim.

He can't subpoena communication between boosters, or anything having to do with Barnes or any other coach at this point in the proceedings. He has to show the judge direct evidence of this claim that requires relief.

If he can't do that, the case is going to get dismissed. His attorney isn't dumb, and is not going to file suit and tarnish his reputation by having a case dismissed for not being able to substantiate the claim.

He'd be allowed to show violating NCAA rules was allowed/overlooked in other programs at UT.

And this is why you pay the buyout (or negotiate down) and pay the man. We have paid players for years, across multiple sports. If Pruitt really wants to spill the beans, and has others willing to talk or has receipts, it will be like dropping a nuclear bomb on the athletic program.

You think Kiffin set us back 10 years? This will set us back 30 years in multiple sports.
Great, if you want to drag it along on our end you go after every stop along the way. Tennessee goes all in on Alabama, FSU and UGA with a negotiated number but comes clean on his time at those spots too. Ole boy didn't learn his skills once he got here. And yes, we've been playing players for decades, from Majors to name when you believe it stopped.

LSU actually negotiated the buyout with Orgeron.
Some people will argue any thing.

Per both "247 sports" and "The Advocate", LSU has agreed to pay Ed Orgeron the full $16.9 million buyout. There may have been additional terms added as part of a separation agreement, but the financial compensation was left the same, and that is what is most important. That obviously wasn't much of a "negotiation". That will not be the case between Tennessee and Jeremy Pruitt. Tennessee fired Jeremy Pruitt with cause, and they are currently refusing to pay the full amount of Pruitt's $11 million buyout. The eventual settlement will be lower than that. It is just a matter of how much lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW Huskie
Get Pruitt on the stand and ask him how he and his assistants did business in alabubba. It would probably reveal a historical pattern of breaking the rules by him and would also spill the beans on alabubba.

Its very little coincidence that the scumbag lawyer for POS Pruitt released this statement THIS week, a week Tennessee is getting the nation's attention with negative press. Facts are this is simply a play for Pruitt to weasel a settlement out before the BIG legal bills start piling up, and trust me, they will pile up.

Pruitt, despite his income from UT, etc (much has already been spent) probably doesnt have the financial resources to fight very long with UT. His legal bills on this can easily surpass $100,000+ PER MONTH if it gets drawn out with numerous motions, depositions, etc. I heard the late Judge Charles Galbreath of Nashville once say "you'll learn the definition of eternity when you get in a legal battle with a public entity".

Here's my take. This is all posturing, any evidence he has in the AD also points back at him. He opens himself up to questions and investigation into his time with past employers as well. If Pruitt does this he'll never coach a down of football at anything above a CC at the college level.

He'd be allowed to show violating NCAA rules was allowed/overlooked in other programs at UT.

No he can't, not during the pleadings. His attorney has to make the claim and that UT violated the contract the he had with them, and state the legal basis for which he is filing for relief in the lawsuit, and that has nothing to do with any other coach in any other sports program at UT.

Besides that, the contract that he signed, gave UT the right to choose to fire him with cause, it doesn't state that UT had to fire him. They chose to exercise that right in this case, which they could do, under the terms of the contract.

I don't have any hate for Dooley. He was a crap coach, but I don't think he's a bad person. Anyone in his shoes would've done the same thing he did; take a job they weren't ready for or qualified for in exchange for millions per year and a shot at the big-time.
Agreed. He is a good coach. Just not a good head coach.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Here's my take. This is all posturing, any evidence he has in the AD also points back at him. He opens himself up to questions and investigation into his time with past employers as well. If Pruitt does this he'll never coach a down of football at anything above a CC at the college level.

Pruitt is never coaching at another NCAA affiliated school again, his best prospects to continue a coaching career is bouncing around the NFL as an analyst or position coach.

No he can't, not during the pleadings. His attorney has to make the claim and that UT violated the contract the he had with them, and state the legal basis for which he is filing for relief in the lawsuit, and that has nothing to do with any other coach in any other sports program at UT.

Besides that, the contract that he signed, gave UT the right to choose to fire him with cause, it doesn't state that UT had to fire him. They chose to exercise that right in this case, which they could do, under the terms of the contract.

You are wrong. He would have ample opportunity to prove there was a culture of noncompliance that was overlooked or encouraged by the AD/administration that he was fired for his record and not for violating NCAA rules.

VN Store

Back