Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's awful to throw things at the field, because you could potentially hit innocent ops people, support staff, photographers, etc.etc. Unacceptable behavior IMO.

HOWEVER - the SEC allowing Marc Curles to still have a job is even more unacceptable. I'm not generally a blame the ref guy, but if someone is bad at their job in highly public ways for over a decade, he shouldn't have that job.

His crew was suspended in 2009 for almost a month for a phantom PF call that cost an unranked Arkansas team an upset of #1 Florida.
His crew cost Mississippi State a win with poor officiating against Memphis.

It's not even the clearly bad calls his crew makes, it's the process/fundamentals that they screw up. They're just legitimately not good at their jobs.

The thing that kind of "nail in the coffin" for us was when Bama lost to A&M. Cause guess which of the remaining SEC West teams other than Bama got a legit shot at the playoffs? 1 loss Ole Miss.

So SEC trying to protect their two race horses. I'd expect if Kentucky is still a 1 loss we'll see them get the benefit of the doubt against us as well.

BAD SEC OFFICIALS AND UNRULY FANS NOT A BUG, IT'S A FEATURE

There's not much more to add to the trashy scene at Tennessee last week. A handful of rowdy fans -- many were students -- hurled water bottles, golf balls, popcorn bags and mustard bottles on the field because they didn't agree with officials ruling their Vols had fallen short of a first down in the final minute of a comeback attempt against Ole Miss.

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin had a golf ball and water bottle thrown at him, though he managed to nearly palm and catch the latter one-handed (no word yet from SEC officials in the replay booth if he completed the catch). Tennessee's cheerleaders evacuated from the field and the marching band exited the stands. The 20-minute pause in play was an infomercial on the SEC's unruliness on and off the field, where fans turned violent in the wake of head-scratching judgement calls by the conference's officials once again interfering with the results of the game.

This space isn't devoted to excusing the fans' actions. No fan should throw objects on the field. No person's safety should be under threat in a sporting event. The boneheads who violated these common-sense principles should be punished swiftly; lifetime bans at sporting events is a nice start.

Still, should we ignore why the fans revolted? Shouldn't we try to understand the cause rather than sweep it up and stash it in the corner, just as the cleaning crews did with the trash sprayed across the field late Saturday night?

What we saw Saturday was a powder keg being lit. This wasn't new. This was coming. The weapon has been standing in plain sight for several years, disguising itself as men wearing black and white stripes. The game officials in the SEC are not just having a bad year, OK? They're a systemic problem, left unchecked over the years in a conference that prides itself on controversy via indecision from its untouchable referees. Ask any SEC fan or longtime reporter and they can vividly retell the most laughable reviews, the hesitation and the downright gigantic fundamental mistakes that have made the conference's officiating a joke. It's a problem, only worsened by the lack of accountability in Birmingham, where the spout of silence allows more fuel to be poured on the barrel.

What happened Saturday was years in the making, ignited because of a perfect mix of frustration within an impotent-but-proud football program finally showing life against a nationally-ranked team and an all-too-common procedural malfunction by the SEC's on-field officials. They came head to head Saturday: a frazzled orange mob looking for respect and blood, and a herd of zebra with no heads.

Marc Curles' crew, which has been at the epicenter of several game-changing calls gone wrong over the last 13 years in the SEC and was on the field for the terrible Memphis-Mississippi State fair-catch fiasco earlier this season, has become the poster child of ineptness and know-it-all delusion and explain-it-away practices in the conference. Far too long has this gaping wound been allowed to fester.

Yes, absolutely, Tennessee should be fined heavily by the SEC for its fans' transgressions and lack of preparedness in an emergency, but the conference office should also admit publicly and internally they have allowed a living, breathing monster to feed endlessly on the false hope and dreams of fans across the South. Something is fundamentally wrong with the conference's officiating protocols, training and assignments.

It was dark night in Knoxville. Everyone involved needs to wake up and make some changes.

Spot on, IMO.

CFB Overreactions: Midseason contenders, storylines to watch as we face a messy finish

So who does Heup roll with Milton or Bailey? Unpopular opinion, but I give Milton a shot next few weeks just because of depth issues and I will save Bailey for USA and Vandy.
Hell no. Do you think those players will give their all for Milton? Nope… dude is a loser and you can’t go to war with someone who doesn’t care about winning and making plays.

Not to mention the bad spots that we were routinely getting all night. We were spotted 1-3 yards short several times. A few of us were mentioning it in real-time in the game thread. I know everyone else saw it. There were no less than 6, probably more.
And the forward spots they received multiple times!

What Heupel is doing with that offensive line and no depth at RB is remarkable. Not to mention he resurrected Hendon's career and has him playing at a level he has never played at before.

Agreed. Hopefully we see no one leave from the OL and Hendon returns (with Evans) next year. We may legit have someone in the Heisman race if that occurs.

What's weird to me...later in the game Corral was wrapped up again on a sack, but was allowed to not only continue the play but throw it incomplete with his left hand.

Play that benefits us = forward progress stopped
Play that benefits them = no whistle & incomplete pass

This! I saw that, too and asked why it wasn't blown dead. I am telling you that the officials felt sorry for Corral that he stopped on that play and gave him the benefit of the doubt. There is no other logical explanation.

Hell no. Do you think those players will give their all for Milton? Nope… dude is a loser and you can’t go to war with someone who doesn’t care about winning and making plays.
Do you know this is how the team feels about Milton? Is that is the case, then I agree, you are better rolling with Bailey and promoting PFO. Didn't Kamara kinda duck out of bounds in the Vandy game in 2016?

You can at normal schools but not at Clemson should your offense look like the Larry Scott JG offense in Butch final year with the #1 player in country from his class…y’all think Milton looks bad….watch a Clemson game this year they have no idea how to use him or he is massively overrated
Possibly one of those massively over rated coach killers. Yeah, Clemson not good right now.
So who does Heup roll with Milton or Bailey? Unpopular opinion, but I give Milton a shot next few weeks just because of depth issues and I will save Bailey for USA and Vandy.
Milton because our offensive line is almost hospitalized. Need someone who can run for their lives.

You can at normal schools but not at Clemson should your offense look like the Larry Scott JG offense in Butch final year with the #1 player in country from his class…y’all think Milton looks bad….watch a Clemson game this year they have no idea how to use him or he is massively overrated

Their OL is awful. Can’t establish the run like normal Clemson teams and so now they suck and it’s awesome

Possibly one of those massively over rated coach killers. Yeah, Clemson not good right now.

Milton because our offensive line is almost hospitalized. Need someone who can run for their lives.

A lot of QB’s from the 2020 class that were rated high, aren’t producing

DJ not spelling his last name
Harrison Bailey
Hudson Cord
Ethan Garbers
Jay Buttfield
Luke Doty
Haynes King

Funny quote from Big Ben on that probably bad call by the officials on his "fumble:"

"I was told that even though the ball was going forward, my arm was going backwards," Roethlisberger said. "I had to ask Josh Dobbs, who's an aerospace engineer, how that works. He said it's not possible. I can't get fined for that because I'm just telling you what Dobbs said."

I don't think Ole Miss is a fat cow. If there was a fix, I believe it would benefit us. TN has the ability to bring more money than any other team in the conference. We are one of the highest revenue programs in the country right now and we've been terrible for 15 years.

Ole Miss has the possible #1 draft pick and has one loss.

Do you know this is how the team feels about Milton? Is that is the case, then I agree, you are better rolling with Bailey and promoting PFO. Didn't Kamara kinda duck out of bounds in the Vandy game in 2016?
I know how some DL feel about him. Yes… Even AP stated that some players were pissed. Have you ever played D1 sports? No way I would ever want to play with him again. He is a loser and has been his entire career. I would never go to war with him. The team may come out playing hard but at the first sign of defeat, they will fold up quick if he is the QB. Quote me after this weekend and see how the offense folds if Bama gets up quick and Milton is QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back