Milton & the last play

I don’t have the patience to read all the comments. My two cents. I have a longtime friend who is a HC at a D-1 school and I coached at the HS level (not HC). Milton plays scared and simply can’t make in game decisions without letting his fear dictate his actions. I guarantee you he knew to throw in the end one no matter what and he also knew to NOT run out of bounds!!!!! 100% his fault!!!

He's either dumb or scared of getting hit or both. Play someone else who understands how the clock works or isn't afraid of contact.

Reactions: mpfvol
What Milton did was much worse than that. The only play is to throw into the end zone. You have a chance for a jump ball or a defensive penalty. At least a baseball player who gets caught looking might have been badly fooled by the pitch.

Most haven't addressed this point. Milton's first throw or play WAS a pass into the end zone. So he knew or was instructed by the staff that's where the ball needed to go. Why he did what he did on the last play is beyond my understanding given his first pass. There was no down side to throwing the ball at all being behind, there was zero chances the play could hurt you worse putting the ball there on a pass, there was ONLY an upside shot. He decided not to throw take that shot. Also, does anyone have video on that last play, did the staff have any receiver of ours NOT IN THE END ZONE? My tv view did not show that and I'd like to know.

I get that he might not have had a pass to make, but when you run with no time on the clock you can't run to the sideline and then slide out if bounds to avoid getting hit. Just CAN'T happen. Run to the end zone, make them have to end you. Whatever it takes. Leave it out there. For goodness sake, FIGHT.

He just GAVE UP. Quit.
Seriously. Cut it back inside, try some laterals, at least give it a shot. That or just throw it up for grabs. You absolutely can not just run out of bounds. I don’t even know what you say to him after that as a coach.

Yup, he should have thrown a pass into the end zone and the receivers should have been ready for it. Shades of JJ vs UGA.

Lost in all of the fracas is the fact that the missed field goal really hurt. Make that and make one with 3 seconds left and we win 32-31.

Special teams can be really special.
True but they missed one also

Most haven't addressed this point. Milton's first throw or play WAS a pass into the end zone. So he knew or was instructed by the staff that's where the ball needed to go. Why he did what he did on the last play is beyond my understanding given his first pass. There was no down side to throwing the ball at all being behind, there was zero chances the play could hurt you worse putting the ball there on a pass, there was ONLY an upside shot. He decided not to throw take that shot. Also, does anyone have video on that last play, did the staff have any receiver of ours NOT IN THE END ZONE? My tv view did not show that and I'd like to know.

It happened because the called play broke down. Milton improvised with a decision to scramble away from the pressure which meant he was a right handed passer rolling left. Plus his receivers were to the right. Then he had scrambled from a not so deep drop so he found himself across the line of scrimmage and knew that he could no longer pass the ball. All were decisions that had to be made in split seconds and backup college QBs are nearly 100% of the time going to make a bad decision in all of that.

It's easy to be hard on Milton watching the game on a couch...but Milton was put in a difficult spot, he hadn't played all game. Truth is Ole Miss probably had 7 guys sitting back in the end zone and also most of the receivers were on the right side (Milton had to roll left due to the pass rush). Once he realized he crossed the line of scrimmage, that was it...there was no one to lateral to and there was no way we would run it in even if he had stayed in bounds

The last play was not a good play, but he DID get us in position for the potential TD. I don’t understand why he didn’t just throw to the end zone on the last play—there was nothing to lose but the game at the end.

Reactions: Rando
Kid came in cold. Made a bad choice not to toss it up, but also the coaches should have told him to throw it into a group of receivers no matter what and let the chips fall.

Got screwed on scoop and score, missed FG should have never been in that situation. All in all it was a down to the wire game with a ranked team. Im not happy but I'm optimistic for sure about this coaching staff.

He shouldn't need to be told to throw it up no matter what. That should be common sense to anybody that has ever watched a football game.

The last play was not a good play, but he DID get us in position for the potential TD. I don’t understand why he didn’t just throw to the end zone on the last play—there was nothing to lose but the game at the end.
All he did was throw a 10 yard pass to a wide open WR. Stop acting like he drove the field to set us up. Velus set us up with a great return then Hooker got us a good run. Milton didn’t do ****

It was one of the most braindead decisions i've seen a QB make. It's like he had no idea how much time was left on the clock.

Georgia, Bama, and UK will be blowout losses with Milton as QB

Reactions: Remy and Rando
One of the knocks on Milton is that he is scared to get hit. I wasn't sold on that, but that last play changed my mind.

He ran out of bounds with no time left. It wasn't close. I still can't believe I saw him just give up like that. Whoever has the ball last HAS to leave it all on the field trying to get to that end zone.

I'm just stunned he did that. What are your thoughts? Not as big a deal as I'm feeling now?

I don't feel confident in him going forward.

Should’ve pushed or dove for the yardage imo. Even if he didn’t get close it would’ve been good to see. Either way tho he made a good effort up to that point.

My thoughts? Tell him he should pursue other opportunities elsewhere.

Permanent spot on the bench the rest of the season. Unacceptable.

It's easy to be hard on Milton watching the game on a couch...but Milton was put in a difficult spot, he hadn't played all game. Truth is Ole Miss probably had 7 guys sitting back in the end zone and also most of the receivers were on the right side (Milton had to roll left due to the pass rush). Once he realized he crossed the line of scrimmage, that was it...there was no one to lateral to and there was no way we would run it in even if he had stayed in bounds

Guy has a cannon for an arm, you really believe he couldn't have thrown the ball to the far side of the end zone even without squaring up. I think he could.

VN Store

Back