Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a crew in the FF, bless their souls, who is adamant he didn’t make it to the 40. What’s the pulse of this crew. I thought his torso landed on the 40
They showed an angle on TV that allowed us to see where the ball was - it was at his waist. His shoulders and the arm without the ball were over the forty. Unfortunately, the ball was not.

Last edited:
UT has invested hugely in this "right way" rally cry and trumpeted it at every touchpoint. People actually count the number of times "right way" is mentioned in interviews and speeches. So UT is locked into carrying it through and self-policing and self-sanctioning off-brand behavior.

It will be interesting to see how Boyd responds-- if he'll rein in others or go along. People are already disgruntled with the investigation continuing to expand and dragging on so long. Boyd won't be happy at the exposure, he won't like the consequences and he won't agree with everything that's coming. But the Dickey Era is long gone, and UT will play the role it created.
And this is why TN will never be back. If you wanna play with dogs. You can't be scared of some fleas. Boyd might care about winning but with shills like Plowman in charge it doesn't matter. The jury is still out on White but his comments have him trending in the wrong direction.

For all the officials to initially react the way they did (especially the R and CJ who would make the call) and allow the play to continue there is no reason to come together after change the call. Unless the play is reviewable (which this wasn’t) you need to stick with the initial call.
This was the worst call of the night. SEC has to do better. There need to be consequences for Marc Curles crew.

UT has invested hugely in this "right way" rally cry and trumpeted it at every touchpoint. People actually count the number of times "right way" is mentioned in interviews and speeches. So UT is locked into carrying it through and self-policing and self-sanctioning off-brand behavior.

It will be interesting to see how Boyd responds-- if he'll rein in others or go along. People are already disgruntled with the investigation continuing to expand and dragging on so long. Boyd won't be happy at the exposure, he won't like the consequences and he won't agree with everything that's coming. But the Dickey Era is long gone, and UT will play the role it created.

It’s all so cringe-worthy. This investigation is madness and UT coming across as a bunch of sackless cowards

UT sends a list after every game. Nobody pretends that it's effective. Just like nobody pretends that officiating is a problem, selective policing of issues is unfair or the SEC makes decisions based on anything other than protecting teams that can benefit the conference most. Sankey shows his mettle with out-of-favor teams and the fact that it's Tennessee-Alabama week-- which Bama has made homecoming this year-- is just more fuel for the narrative.

This guarantees Saban will weigh in and the pile-on will grow all week. And UT will respond like UT does.

UT is a bigger pu$$y than I am. How do they expect anything to change

I think a lot of people are confusing questionable offensive play calling with lack of execution. The run calls were not bad calls for the most part (I have not watched all the offensive snaps.) We are running against a 5 man box in a lot of those “bad” calls. That is a numbers advantage we have exploited the past couple of games, but we could not last night because of our lack of depth on the offensive line.

That trickles down to the pass game. If the line cannot hold up (and they struggled to) in pass pro, then it is going to limit what you are comfortable doing in the passing game. If we abandon the run game last night and become predictable, the defense’s job gets easier. The two teams that successfully scored on Ole Miss did so because they could run on the five and six man box.
I’ve been one of the most critical people on the number of runs last night, but you definitely make a good point. We had a lot of good running looks, yet we would get stuffed way too early. My problem is the timing of some of the runs. 1st and 19 and we go two straight rushes for 3 yards and -1 yard, respectively. That just cannot happen

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
They showed an angle on TV that allowed us to see where the ball was - it was at his waiste. His shoulders and the arm without the ball were over the forty. Unfortunately, the ball was not.
There is no definitive view and the call stood, not confirmed. Meaning the spot from a guy 20 yards away made the call.

Tim Banks better be in the film room learning from his mistakes of letting Corrall run free every freakin 3rd down last night and not having someone spy/cover him... especially in the second half... sorry, but that's a fail. You take away just 2-3 of those in the second half alone and we are in a completely different situation, especially with how much time would be remaining for us.

It’s a huge issue with his defensive scheming. Any mobile QB worth a damn will feast. You saw it with Emory, Corral, and Pickett.

It’s a huge issue that needs to be fixed especially with someone like Richardson on the sideline for UF.

Bryce Young is gonna exploit it next week too

I’ve been one of the most critical people on the number of runs last night, but you definitely make a good point. We had a lot of good running looks, yet we would get stuffed way too early. My problem is the timing of some of the runs. 1st and 19 and we go two straight rushes for 3 yards and -1 yard, respectively. That just cannot happen
exactly. Awful, awful play calling. I can maybe understand the 1st and 19 but you don’t run a damn inside zone on 2nd and 17 on your last potential drive.

Reactions: volforlife15
I obviously don’t like the narrative that has and will continue to be put out by Forde, Thamel, Wolken, et al, to their national audiences, but I can live with it.

What concerns me is Sankey and his minions who do a whole lot to control narratives for the conference in the pursuit of making money. For 59 minutes you saw an atmosphere that makes money for UT and the conference. And when you combine that with a team on the rise, the bosses can make sure that they do everything they can to help (you can’t tell me the league office doesn’t influence the behavior of the refs). But when things implode and the bosses have no choice but to spew outrage (feigned, of course), they lose the incentive to do what they can to help that team continue its ascent from the abyss. And that’s what makes me upset about what happened.

I get the "pent up frustration for 10+ years" angle, but it was mostly drunk college kids throwing stuff.

Sometimes drunk, amped people get excited/angry and act an ass. Whoever runs the Jumbotron and put the pic up there that looked like we got the first down (when we didn't) certainly didn't do anyone any favors. It looked like we were blatantly getting cheated lol. That was the last straw.

Playing with fire.
For you to say "when we didn't" implies you could tell from the replay, which you could not. Thus, the term, "call stands." I agree that that was the right call for the review, given what was called on the field, but none of us really know if he made it or not.

I think a lot of people are confusing questionable offensive play calling with lack of execution. The run calls were not bad calls for the most part (I have not watched all the offensive snaps.) We are running against a 5 man box in a lot of those “bad” calls. That is a numbers advantage we have exploited the past couple of games, but we could not last night because of our lack of depth on the offensive line.

That trickles down to the pass game. If the line cannot hold up (and they struggled to) in pass pro, then it is going to limit what you are comfortable doing in the passing game. If we abandon the run game last night and become predictable, the defense’s job gets easier. The two teams that successfully scored on Ole Miss did so because they could run on the five and six man box.

Using the series after the interception. On the very first play, we pull Spraggins on the run play, there is enough of a crease there for Small to get more than the 1-2 yards he got.

The run immediately after Fant’s holding penalty is set up perfectly. Fant needs to keep his block a little longer and Davis just has to make contact with anyone in the hole and Small is set up to get a chunk of yards, instead we get 2 yards.

There is another run in the middle of those two plays where if anyone gets their hands on #7 the run springs for several yards. Not executing and not having a healthy running back that could exploit those things killed us.

And this is why TN will never be back. If you wanna play with dogs. You can't be scared of some fleas. Boyd might care about winning but with shills like Plowman in charge it doesn't matter. The jury is still out on White but his comments have him trending in the wrong direction.

It'll be a bumpy road back, for sure. UT's self-flagellation is truly elite.

Ole Miss or Kiffin didn’t do anything illegal I don’t agree with fake injuries but until the rules are changed it’s going to continue. Heck our players were getting some rest but I guess it did hurt momentum. thought both coaches did great with what they had, Kiffin had Corral and took advantage of his talents, Heupel did great to keep us in the game with a makeshift OL and without our best running back.

Nothing good is going to come from this. The criticism and consequences are going to be one-sided, precipitating cause is going to be ignored and UT is going to self-punish. I doubt there will be an internal consensus, but one way or another, it will further stress relationships.
Tell somebody over there to grow some damn balls

I actually just quoted myself and explained the 1st and 19 call. There was so much more than 3 yards there. The 2nd and 16 call was not good. They had 7 in the box there. So, if Hooker was reading it, he read wrong. If it was from the sideline, then it was not a great decision.

Y’all complaining about the kids throwing stuff on the field can stfu. Quit acting like you ain’t act crazy at that age and I don’t blame them after the muffed punt, the fumble recovery that didn’t count, the fake injuries kiffin is known for, plus the questionable short call on 4th and 23. It was a combo of all that PLUS kiffin being on the other sideline. Get over it. I don’t blame them and I would’ve done the same thing at their age
I did lots of stupid crap at that age. Almost got arrested once for Public Drunkeness. Still never threw **** on the field of play of any sporting event. That's low class.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Ole Miss or Kiffin didn’t do anything illegal I don’t agree with fake injuries but until the rules are changed it’s going to continue. Heck our players were getting some rest but I guess it did hurt momentum. thought both coaches did great with what they had, Kiffin had Corral and took advantage of his talents, Heupel did great to keep us in the game with a makeshift OL and without our best running back.
It's bad sportsmanship. You can complain about the trash pandas all you want but 20+ fake injuries to give yourself an unfair advantage is unsportsmanlike and should never be used as a play calling strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back