Who Thinks Fulky starts the first game?

A single eval from 2 years from a not too well known source…that’s putting A LOT of stock into that. Front office GM’s miss on guys, not sure I would take that one article has some sort of proof that Aidoo will be that.

You seem to want to take what was said 1-2 years ago about Aidoo but ignore practice reports from current point in time?
2 or 3 practices in?
#116 6’10 Jonas Aidoo (Voyager)- Aidoo showed more and more each game I saw him in, the long term upside here is pretty scary. Aidoo does all the things you expect from an agile 6’10 forward. Aidoo runs the floor like a gazelle, he dunks the ball with some extra flare, and Aidoo has great timing as a natural shot blocker. When you think you’ve gotten Aidoo’s game figured out, he steps out and buries a few three balls from behind the arc. Aidoo shots the rock with fluid and with confidence, he’s got a slender frame but Aidoo can take on contact and he’s a reliable free throw shooter.
There is a lot to like, Aidoo is still raw and building a post repertoire at this stage, but based on his defensive prowess, and high motor alone, Aidoo should be able to see the floor almost immediately at the next level.
Phenom Hoop Report
He's improved his stats at prep school against better competition.

2 or 3 practices in?
#116 6’10 Jonas Aidoo (Voyager)- Aidoo showed more and more each game I saw him in, the long term upside here is pretty scary. Aidoo does all the things you expect from an agile 6’10 forward. Aidoo runs the floor like a gazelle, he dunks the ball with some extra flare, and Aidoo has great timing as a natural shot blocker. When you think you’ve gotten Aidoo’s game figured out, he steps out and buries a few three balls from behind the arc. Aidoo shots the rock with fluid and with confidence, he’s got a slender frame but Aidoo can take on contact and he’s a reliable free throw shooter.
There is a lot to like, Aidoo is still raw and building a post repertoire at this stage, but based on his defensive prowess, and high motor alone, Aidoo should be able to see the floor almost immediately at the next level.
Phenom Hoop Report
But that same reputation has been earned across the entire summer of offseason workouts since he arrived. It isn't solely based off of 2-3 practices. It is only manifesting itself in print form, now, because there is a media presence at practices. He just isn't as far along as the staff had hoped he would be, nor as far along as his ranking would seem to indicate. It doesn't mean he sucks. It doesn't even mean he won't develop. It just means he's a project, right now.

2 or 3 practices in?
Phenom Hoop Report
They even mention him being raw in this quote…you have a 6th year guy in Fulk, a 3rd year guy in ORN, and a 5 star who was rated higher and is more physically ready in BHH…I think you should temper your expectations for Aidoo a bit but you’re welcome to your opinion. The vibe all summer around Aidoo is he’s behind those guys and early reports from practices are the same vibe.

Reactions: cncchris33
@calban last 3 years P5 guys as freshman who were ranked closely to what Aidoo was on 247 composite…

Maddy Sisoko 25g 5.4mpg 1.1ppg 1.8rpg
Franck Kepnang 17g 8.6mpg 2.6ppg 1.2rpg
Will Baker 23g 8.4mpg 2.1ppg 1.9rpg
David McCormick 34g 10.7mpg 3.9ppg 3.1rpg

seems like expecting him to be a 10th man, appear in most games but not all, 8-10mpg would be pretty fair expectations…and that’s not to mention every one of the above guys was much more physically ready for P5 ball. It has been said numerous times, but a big part of Aidoo’s ranking is projection/ceiling based.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
@calban last 3 years P5 guys as freshman who were ranked closely to what Aidoo was on 247 composite…

Maddy Sisoko 25g 5.4mpg 1.1ppg 1.8rpg
Franck Kepnang 17g 8.6mpg 2.6ppg 1.2rpg
Will Baker 23g 8.4mpg 2.1ppg 1.9rpg
David McCormick 34g 10.7mpg 3.9ppg 3.1rpg

seems like expecting him to be a 10th man, appear in most games but not all, 8-10mpg would be pretty fair expectations…and that’s not to mention every one of the above guys was much more physically ready for P5 ball. It has been said numerous times, but a big part of Aidoo’s ranking is projection/ceiling based.
We'll agree to disagree, but I think Barnes would give his right nut to have a post presence that HH and Aidoo would give him. And in my original post I said once he adjusts to the speed of the game. I'll add to that physicality which seems to be the major knock on him. As far as minutes Kyle A played 12 minutes his freshman season, of course that was after Fulky went down.

We'll agree to disagree, but I think Barnes would give his right nut to have a post presence that HH and Aidoo would give him. And in my original post I said once he adjusts to the speed of the game. I'll add to that physicality which seems to be the major knock on him. As far as minutes Kyle A played 12 minutes his freshman season, of course that was after Fulky went down.
You also know how much Barnes loves Fulk and also favors experience…I’ve got a hard time seeing a sixth year Fulk who returned for 1 last go getting benched by Barnes. KA was on a much worse team, the staff wanted to redshirt him…if we landed Aidoo in that 2015 class he’d probably have played 30mpg, but we aren’t in that situation anymore.

You also know how much Barnes loves Fulk and also favors experience…I’ve got a hard time seeing a sixth year Fulk who returned for 1 last go getting benched by Barnes. KA was on a much worse team, the staff wanted to redshirt him…if we landed Aidoo in that 2015 class he’d probably have played 30mpg, but we aren’t in that situation anymore.
I just don't see Fulky as a valid 5 no matter how much Barnes loves him. And I don't think he is comfortable being the guy. Fulk has added, what, a pound since last season. I don't think he's played a full season without being sidelined with injury in 5 seasons because he's so thin and going against the hulks.. Rather see him as a back up to HH at the 4. I think he'll start the season there(5) but by conference time I think we'll see a lot of HH and Aidoo. Just think he's under rated. But, wife said I was wrong about something yesterday. JMO

I just don't see Fulky as a valid 5 no matter how much Barnes loves him. And I don't think he is comfortable being the guy. Fulk has added, what, a pound since last season. I don't think he's played a full season without being sidelined with injury in 5 seasons because he's so thin and going against the hulks.. Rather see him as a back up to HH at the 4. I think he'll start the season there(5) but by conference time I think we'll see a lot of HH and Aidoo. Just think he's under rated. But, wife said I was wrong about something yesterday. JMO
He’s actually played in more games than you probably think…94% of games he’s played in the last 4 years fwiw

rFR 30/35
rSO 36/37
rJR 31/31
rSR 25/27

Here’s the million dollar question, was redshirt junior John Fulkerson an anomaly, or is that what a healthy Fulk with some help around him can do?

30.1mpg 13.7ppg 5.9rpg 61%fg 75%ft ALL-SEC

Nobody knows for sure what we’re going to get, but Fulk & Barnes both wanted another turn at his last year because both felt like he could’ve/should’ve played much better. If we get junior year Fulk then I don’t think there’s really any argument to be made that he’s our starting 5 and Aidoo won’t be sniffing that spot.

Last edited:
I'm in no way dissing fulk but he bucked at the responsiblity of being a team leader last season
Your idea of being a team leader is way different from mine. Everything we heard last season talked about Fulky’s great leadership for the team. We now know he had Covid and never fully recovered during the season that ended early with the gator cheap shot. I’d bet my left nut Fulky and JJJ are the leaders of the team this year.

Underrated??? By who?

Your idea of being a team leader is way different from mine. Everything we heard last season talked about Fulky’s great leadership for the team. We now know he had Covid and never fully recovered during the season that ended early with the gator cheap shot. I’d bet my left nut Fulky and JJJ are the leaders of the team this year.
I distinctly remember Barnes saying he was disappointed because of his attitude about being the guy.
And to repeat it's JMO.

I distinctly remember Barnes saying he was disappointed because of his attitude about being the guy.
And to repeat it's JMO.
What you are referring to is a quote from when Fulkerson came back from his injury as a freshman. Barnes defended Fulkerson quite a bit last season, certainly don’t see anywhere he claimed he had that attitude last season.

“[Fulkerson] just took an attitude, like he really upset me one day. He said, ’That is not my role.’ I said it is your role — to come back and be a starter and do that because you are capable of doing it.” Quotes from a 2019 article referring to when he came back from his elbow injury.

What you are referring to is a quote from when Fulkerson came back from his injury as a freshman. Barnes defended Fulkerson quite a bit last season, certainly don’t see anywhere he claimed he had that attitude last season.
Short memories are convenient. Barnes was very critical of his seniors and their leadership after the Florida loss.What were Barnes' words. Makes me sick to see guys not play hard. Went on to rake his seniors over the coals.

Short memories are convenient. Barnes was very critical of his seniors and their leadership after the Florida loss.What were Barnes' words. Makes me sick to see guys not play hard. Went on to rake his seniors over the coals.
Guess my memory is very short as I’ve forgotten who was a senior last year besides Fulky and Anosike and I never remember Anosike not playing hard?

I read that more as him trying to light a fire under someone at that point last year more than saying he had a bad attitude. But maybe that’s just me.

I read that more as him trying to light a fire under someone at that point last year more than saying he had a bad attitude. But maybe that’s just me.
Never said he had a bad attitude. Just said he preferred not being the guy in the lime light.
Also interesting that Barnes blamed the loss to Oregon State on the absence of 'inside presence'.
Is HH to be the only answer? Think he'd rather be the 4 guy.
It is dangerous to go against the flow on this board but I've stated several times that it's only my opinion. If u think fulkerson as a low post provides enough inside presence to get us past the first round in the NCAA that's yall's opinion also, which I accept.

With the news of ORN practicing well, I wouldn’t be surprised to see BHH back as well. Depending on how the 22’ class shakes out, it would be nice.

Hopefully we land one of Mitchell/Phillips, but if not and BHH comes back for a 2nd year, that’d soften the blow.

I guess what I’m trying to get at in a way is, it’s okay if guys like Aidoo/BHH aren’t wowing right now. You also gotta think with guys like Fulky/ORN who have been in the program and have gone up against NBA caliber players, they would hopefully outperform two freshmen, one of which could still be in HS (BHH).

Reactions: Helton1
Never said he had a bad attitude. Just said he preferred not being the guy in the lime light.
Also interesting that Barnes blamed the loss to Oregon State on the absence of 'inside presence'.
Is HH to be the only answer? Think he'd rather be the 4 guy.
It is dangerous to go against the flow on this board but I've stated several times that it's only my opinion. If u think fulkerson as a low post provides enough inside presence to get us past the first round in the NCAA that's yall's opinion also, which I accept.
For me, it isn’t so much what I believe about Fulk as much as it is what I believe about Aidoo. I’ve given you plenty of evidence to suggest that maybe your expectations are lofty, but you’ve chosen to ignore it or refute it with information that is extremely old.

I’m just telling you that the staff views him as a project who is going to take time to develop. That probably isn’t how they viewed him as a recruit, but he allegedly showed up and the game was too big/fast for him. Expecting him to come out of the gate and get valuable minutes over someone like Fulk, Nkamhoua, or BHH just isn’t fair to him. He simply isn’t ready to be a major contributor, apparently.

Reactions: berryvol
For me, it isn’t so much what I believe about Fulk as much as it is what I believe about Aidoo. I’ve given you plenty of evidence to suggest that maybe your expectations are lofty, but you’ve chosen to ignore it or refute it with information that is extremely old.

I’m just telling you that the staff views him as a project who is going to take time to develop. That probably isn’t how they viewed him as a recruit, but he allegedly showed up and the game was too big/fast for him. Expecting him to come out of the gate and get valuable minutes over someone like Fulk, Nkamhoua, or BHH just isn’t fair to him. He simply isn’t ready to be a major contributor, apparently.

It’s also worth mentioning that he’s a guy who’s ranking skyrocketed…he was an unranked recruit, does a prep year, gets ranked and through a COVID year climbs the rankings at a rapid pace. Did they see enough of him? No aau? What was competition?

Seems very likely to me that his most recent ranking was largely potential based…7 footers who can run and shoot the and are ready to play day 1 usually are ranked Top 5 in their class and are Top 3 NBA draft picks after their freshman year.

So for the 3rd straight year, Olivier is going to be a factor in the post ? I hope so, but if these are the same guys that are saying Aidoo isn't ready, I'll wait until I see them both play, this year.

Definitely will wait to see it on all fronts as far as 2 goes…I do think it’s clear that Barnes likes/sees something in ORN, he’s continued to try and try to progress him and play him and give him chances, much like we saw with Pons/Fulk/Grant…ORN did play well for Finland this summer, but I agree, I gotta see it.

Reactions: The Dog
Fwiw Rob Lewis said tonight that ORN starting at the 4 with BHH backing him up and then Fulky starting at the 5 with Plav backing him up is how it would be today. He did say though that multiple people in the program feel, as do multiple scouts that have come through practice that Aidoo is the best NBA prospect on the roster…he just needs to get much stronger and continue to develop, but he moves and shoots very well for his size.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back