'22 TN ATH/RB Dallan Hayden (Ohio State commit)

I can agree with what you said with the exception of those guys in the all white era translating ro today's era. Many of them were good on loaded teams with the legendary coaches but were not nearly athletic enough or "Today's Fast" which would omit them immediately.
I think if General Neyland would have been hired in 2009- and let's say he's in his 40's at the time- he would still be the coach now, and would have a multiple National Championships.
Those guys back then were even more thorough on fundamentals because of what you mentioned.

He was waaay ahead of his time back then. Brilliant man who would have adapted to today's game rather quickly. Great pedigree and was good anything he did.

But it IS hard to truly gauge, because the game has changed so much.
Our 2020, 3-7 Vols would wipe the floor with any of the Generals teams. 200-0 type stuff.
Maryville High School would give any of them a great game. Because the size and speed is so drastic form 80 years ago! 200 lb OL on those Tenn teams. 165 lbs Rbs... NOBODY running sub 4.6...
But no way do I think Pruitt could coach with The General if everything else is even.

You really cannot compare coaches across different eras. Different landscape, different everything really. I would say Bear and General are the best of their era, though others would argue Switzer, Hayes, Schembechler, and others. Meyer and Saban are head and shoulders above everyone else in the last thirty years.
My only rebuttal to that is Steve Spurrier. Meyer did most of his winning at programs that were contenders already and had a history of being such. Florida had never won a championship at all before Spurrier, and he got them to two nattys, won one, and was 5time SEC champion at Florida. The only reason Meyer was able to succeed at Florida is because of the program the Steve built. Heck the fun and gun offense was Spurriers baby.

Not to mention that he beat Alabama under Nick Saban while coach at South Carolina and took the SEC East twice and stomped Urban Meyer in the Swamp, pretty much ending his tenure at Florida.

My only rebuttal to that is Steve Spurrier. Meyer did most of his winning at programs that were contenders already and had a history of being such. Florida had never won a championship at all before Spurrier, and he got them to two nattys, won one, and was 5time SEC champion at Florida. The only reason Meyer was able to succeed at Florida is because of the program the Steve built. Heck the fun and gun offense was Spurriers baby.

Not to mention that he beat Alabama under Nick Saban while coach at South Carolina and took the SEC East twice and stomped Urban Meyer in the Swamp, pretty much ending his tenure at Florida.
Add to this that Spurrier inherited a shell of a program after the NCAA had an office in Gainesville for Galen Hall and Co.

Only once, but your point is valid.

Only once, but your point is valid.
Whoops couldn't remember if he took it the year before or not. Still that was South Carolina's only conference championship. In my mind The Old Ball Coach is better than the abuse enabler/ health problems Meyer. I still think if it wasn't for Tebow he would have been out at Florida sooner.

You really cannot compare coaches across different eras. Different landscape, different everything really. I would say Bear and General are the best of their era, though others would argue Switzer, Hayes, Schembechler, and others. Meyer and Saban are head and shoulders above everyone else in the last thirty years.

And you have to consider Rockne (.881) in the 20s and Leahy (.864) in the 40s.

Note: Only 1 man has a >100k seat stadium named after (only) him.

Reactions: drvenner
Call it negative, but I'm being realistic. We aren't going to get 2 5 stars for beating the 5th best team in the SEC East

I don't see anyone here saying we are. I see one asking whether it might have an effect. It's a reasonable question. But like de1, you instantly went to questioning people's intelligence and reminding us that UT isn't there yet. So again, that you de1?

Call it negative, but I'm being realistic. We aren't going to get 2 5 stars for beating the 5th best team in the SEC East
Who wants to be realistic? Maybe we are preparing for if we not just beat, but really beat, the rest of the teams we play that are not ranked 1 or 2....with 71 players. Are we allowed to do that?

VN Store

Back