Who Thinks Fulky starts the first game?

You going out on a huge limb thinking Fulky is somehow moving into a starting role…….with like Alexander and Williams…..wait that was years ago.

I hope your first prediction isn't true, because it will mean the young forwards aren't developing quickly and the older ones haven't developed enough. I'm OK with your second one, because he will be our floor leader.
Not sure that I think .... Fulky have the most minutes AND 'the young forwards aren't developing quickly and the older ones haven't developed enough' ... are mutually exclusive.
My expectation is John has a good year, if he stays healthy. But I do not see him playing 30 minutes per game either. I am hoping we keep his numbers closer to 25 MPG.
I expect us to play 8 regularly and 10 would mean we are poised to make a deep tournament run. Yes, we ARE going to be young! But I think we have enough 'senior' leadership to bring the young guys along. I actually think this team has a better 'profile' than the team last year. I can see this team winning 25+ games.
My thinking is Rick has not yet had a deep enough team ... in the post ... to significantly limit minutes.
Is this the most talented AND deep post positions we have had at Tennessee in a while ... I am waiting to see.
This year is the MOST optimistic I have been about post play since Rick has arrived.

This is what I thought preseason in ...
2020, we had maybe 5 guys vying for the two post positions:
Uros: I thought Uros was too slow. Results: (and I was right ... But he was also MORE of a project than I was expecting.)
Pons: He was going to have a banner year. Results: He was ever bit the player I expected, but got tired and unfortunately was not a good fit for the 5 spot.
Fulky: John is going to lead the team after he shakes of covid. Results: Covid took more out of him than I was expecting, but was making some progress until he got clocked.
Olivier: Too small to play the 5, just not physical enough and quick enough to be an offensive weapon. Results: Check! Not developed enough to be ready to help elsewhere.
EJ: He was going to be Fulky's backup. Results: EJ was physical, but he just was not tall enough and talented enough to deal with SEC level talent. Appeared to be a little bit on the slow side, but it could have been the game was too fast. We were trying to fill a hole and he just was not well suited to fit the spot.

2021, I think we have maybe 6 guys, really only 5, vying for the two post positions:
Uros: If his footspeed has not improved, then he is a role player and we are back down to 5. I am not hopeful.
Fulky: He was ahead of Alexander as a freshman, still waiting for that guy to show up. Plays all in, which leads to injuries - if you cannot get rest. John is a technical (finesse) and quick player. I think this is his and JJJ's team. JJJ is more vocal, but John is the straw that stirs this drink (Not dismissing Chandler at all!!!)
Olivier: Still TOO small to play the 5. I hear that his physicality and quickness is much improved. I expect to see him at the 4 almost exclusively. His defensive is more than passible, but he needed to work on his offense to get more playing time.
Handje: He is a year away, but very glad he is here EARLY. He will be a good player, he needs some seasoning. Expecting him to redshirt.
Jonas: He is a specimen. He is going to appear at the 4 and the 5 ... but I think more at the 4 ... but that is a wild guess. He strikes me as the 'eraser'.
BHH: Brandon will be the backup 5 imho. He is going to get pushed around a bit and out maneuvered, but his upside is fantastic.

Can you tell I am psyched about BB. Bring it on!

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Uros: Slow runners rarely improve their foot speed. But even a slow player can play in the half court game. He has not shown the quickness or the footwork under the basket to be effective. I've been both hopeful and disappointed, too. I hope he can at least give us 10 quality minutes off the bench at the five.
Fulky: He's slight of build and fragile. But he's strong and quick, with a good shooting touch and plays his heart out. I think he'd be better at the four, because the big centers push him around. I agree that if we can limit him to 25 or less mpg he will be less likely to be injured and more likely to be effective come March. But that is gonna be true for almost everyone.
JJJ: He's undersized at the four unless he gets the right match-up. But he is very strong. I prefer him at the three, because that gives us another rebounder. He's also a credible 3 point shooter.
Olivier: He played on the perimeter a lot in HS. I think he's had trouble adjusting to post play, just like Uros. At time he looks real good, at others he doesn't seem to get involved. I can't really figure him out. But he is a 4, not a five, as you say.
Handje: Agree.
Jonas: I think he's a five, but haven't seen enough to have a real opinion.
BHH: I think he wants to be a four. But the team needs him to be a five so Fulky can be the four? We'll see how Barnes handles him. Could be a season long buy-in issue.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Fulk will start out of respect, but once Aidoo adjusts to the speed of the game I don't see anyone keeping him on the bench. Guy's the very definition of STRETCH and the valid rim protector we've been pining for for years.

Fulk will start out of respect, but once Aidoo adjusts to the speed of the game I don't see anyone keeping him on the bench. Guy's the very definition of STRETCH and the valid rim protector we've been pining for for years.

I hope Aidoo is really that good and that fast. it would be fantastic to have that in our post rotation.

Aidoo isn’t benching Fulk…Aidoo will be lucky to get 10mpg

Why would a major project be rated a 5 star on Rivals?

Why was JJJ a top 50 player? Sometimes projections miss (not saying this about Aidoo or that he is a bust, just that sometimes rankings can be wrong).

By all reports, Aidoo is a major project.
Major project ? Damn, Chris that's a reach. Yes, the 🦒 may not be a one or 2 and done, but he is not a major project. Tamba, yes, is a major project. The 🦒 is a future all-SEC player, that may take a couple of years to produce as such, imo

Major project ? Damn, Chris that's a reach. Yes, the 🦒 may not be a one or 2 and done, but he is not a major project. Tamba, yes, is a major project. The 🦒 is a future all-SEC player, that may take a couple of years to produce as such, imo
You just described a project.

And in fairness to me, I said "by all reports". It isn't my opinion. That is just what is being reported. Sorry it doesn't jive with your hype.

And in fairness to me, I said "by all reports". It isn't my opinion. That is just what is being reported. Sorry it doesn't jive with your hype.
No, I didn't, a project is somebody that could eventually help the team, in a couple or 3/4 years. Aidoo is the kind of player that will help the team some next year and will be a 20 minute a game player and potential starter by the end of his 2nd year.

It doesn't have to jive with my hype, which is very controlled for this year. After this year, well, my hype will probably grow. But, Aidoo is not a project, 5 stars or top 50 players are not projects. Tamba, ZZZ and the kid from France are what I call projects, although I think 2 of the 3 will be so much more

No, I didn't, a project is somebody that could eventually help the team, in a couple or 3/4 years. Aidoo is the kind of player that will help the team some next year and will be a 20 minute a game player and potential starter by the end of his 2nd year.
It doesn't have to jive with my hype, which is very controlled for this year. After this year, well, my hype will probably grow. But, Aidoo is not a project, 5 stars or top 50 players are not projects. Tamba, ZZZ and the kid from France are what I call projects, although I think 2 of the 3 will be so much more
Ok

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
I've searched all over and can't find any one who calls aidoo a project much less major. Just a few quotes I found with no effort.

Fit: With Barnes being a defensive mind, Aidoo’s build and athleticism make the Vols an extraordinary fit for him. Aidoo’s nearly 7’0” height and long wingspan will allow him to be an offensive rebound machine, and his ability to block a lot of shots will help fill that Yves Pons role on defense. Aidoo’s five years of high school experience also gives him a high basketball IQ, which is a quality that will pay dividends for the Vols as their offense will most likely run through a freshman in Kennedy Chandler. A young, talented, intelligent, extreme mismatch down low will make it easier for Chandler and the rest of the Vols to find success in the upcoming season.

He was one of a long line of guys that Steve Wojciechowski and his staff had identified as a Big East caliber player long before the recruiting services figured them out. Given Aidoo’s current status, it seems like he’s not going to have any shortage of programs interested in offering him a spot for this coming fall. His top 10 back in December also included Georgia, Houston, Kansas, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Miami, Providence, and South Carolina, so it seems possible that those spots could end up being open to bringing Aidoo in now.

“Aidoo is a lengthy post player who has great hands and legit 7-foot size. First and foremost, Aidoo is a very good, instinctive defender with the ability to open his hips and drop in coverage and protect the rim, blocking shots with either hand. On the offensive end of the floor, Aidoo has range extending out to three in pick and pop or trail big situations. (Via Rivals)

247's Analysist said he needed to get stronger. He's added 15 pounds.

I've searched all over and can't find any one who calls aidoo a project much less major. Just a few quotes I found with no effort.

Fit: With Barnes being a defensive mind, Aidoo’s build and athleticism make the Vols an extraordinary fit for him. Aidoo’s nearly 7’0” height and long wingspan will allow him to be an offensive rebound machine, and his ability to block a lot of shots will help fill that Yves Pons role on defense. Aidoo’s five years of high school experience also gives him a high basketball IQ, which is a quality that will pay dividends for the Vols as their offense will most likely run through a freshman in Kennedy Chandler. A young, talented, intelligent, extreme mismatch down low will make it easier for Chandler and the rest of the Vols to find success in the upcoming season.

He was one of a long line of guys that Steve Wojciechowski and his staff had identified as a Big East caliber player long before the recruiting services figured them out. Given Aidoo’s current status, it seems like he’s not going to have any shortage of programs interested in offering him a spot for this coming fall. His top 10 back in December also included Georgia, Houston, Kansas, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Miami, Providence, and South Carolina, so it seems possible that those spots could end up being open to bringing Aidoo in now.

“Aidoo is a lengthy post player who has great hands and legit 7-foot size. First and foremost, Aidoo is a very good, instinctive defender with the ability to open his hips and drop in coverage and protect the rim, blocking shots with either hand. On the offensive end of the floor, Aidoo has range extending out to three in pick and pop or trail big situations. (Via Rivals)

247's Analysist said he needed to get stronger. He's added 15 pounds.
All of the above is based on high school production and future projection.

By most accounts, he arrived on campus and was not nearly as far along as the staff had hoped, nor anywhere near where our fans will expect from a 5* player. He apparently has a long ways to go towards meaningful contribution to live up to his 5* billing.

You guys can take that for what it's worth and believe it if you want, or you can take these generic, fluff piece scouting reports and make your own projections based on _______.

I don't expect much from him, at all, this year, outside of some potential freshman-year Kyle Alexander stats (your above quotes sound eerily familiar). If he exceeds that, then I get to be pleasantly surprised while the star gazers most likely wring their hands over the idea that "he's a bust" when he isn't averaging 15 and 10 out of the gate

Seems like the “needs work” articles have come since he arrived on UT’s campus. Those articles sure surprised me as like yourself the national recruiting articles along with being a 5* and second highest ranked post recruit this past cycle had me thinking of an immediate impact type player.

Edit - looks like Chris beat me to it!

Reactions: cncchris33
He has one attribute that will urge the staff to bring him along quickly. He's projected by many to be a 40% 3 pt shooter. Imagine the benefit to an already elite back court as far as unclogging the middle.
I'm in no way dissing fulk but he bucked at the responsiblity of being a team leader last season and has always been more comfortable coming off the bench.
I'm still searching for the articles that call him a project.
PS You do remember that Kyle was a converted volleyball player with very little Bball experience. No comparison.

Last edited:
He has one attribute that will urge the staff to bring him along quickly. He's projected by many to be a 40% 3 pt shooter. Imagine the benefit to an already elite back court as far as unclogging the middle.
I'm in no way dissing fulk but he bucked at the responsiblity of being a team leader last season and has always been more comfortable coming off the bench.
FWIW, not all news comes in the form of print, but this was the second and third articles I looked at.

One man's opinion, but here you go...

"However, Huntley-Hatfield graduated a year early from high school— though he is the age of a college freshman— and Aidoo is still a raw prospect who should be much better with a few years in a college weight room and experience.

Huntley-Hatfield needs to be a major contributor for Tennessee this season and the Vols could use Aidoo to do the same, but color me skeptical on Aidoo. Don’t get me wrong, I believe the North Carolina native is incredibly talented and will be a really strong player at UT in time. I just don’t know if it clicks right away."

Five Tennessee Basketball Questions At The Start Of Preseason Practice | Rocky Top Insider

Going further, Aidoo was not in the first 5, nor the second 5 during the team's second practice, last week. Fulk, Nkamhoua, BHH, and Uros all ran ahead of him.

"I wrote Tuesday that I’d be surprised if Jonas Aidoo earns a major role on this team and I feel the same way after watching Wednesday’s practice. Aidoo worked mostly with the third team and looks like a guy who’s taking in an abundance of information and whose head is swimming.

Still, Aidoo is a great looking athlete who runs the court well and has solid touch. Adding some more strength in his upper body would be beneficial. The North Carolina native looks all of his 6-foot-11 frame.

Out of Plavsic, Nkamhoua and Aidoo— Nkamhoua appears the closest to earning serious minutes for this Tennessee team."

Tennessee Basketball Practice Observations: September 29 | Rocky Top Insider

PS You do remember that Kyle was a converted volleyball player with very little Bball experience. No comparison.

1- Who the heck is projecting him to be a 40% 3pt shooter at the college level, I don’t think he even was in high school.

2- Barnes isn’t going to play him simply because he can hit a 3, we will have Powell (a proven 40%+), Vescovi and Bailey all shooting from the perikiter to open things up. BHH by all accounts is just as good a perimeter shooter as Aidoo and is more ready to play, so if Barnes is looking for a post to stretch the floor with I would think it’s BHH.

1- Who the heck is projecting him to be a 40% 3pt shooter at the college level, I don’t think he even was in high school.

2- Barnes isn’t going to play him simply because he can hit a 3, we will have Powell (a proven 40%+), Vescovi and Bailey all shooting from the perikiter to open things up. BHH by all accounts is just as good a perimeter shooter as Aidoo and is more ready to play, so if Barnes is looking for a post to stretch the floor with I would think it’s BHH.
7’ 2020 Jonas Aidoo (Voyager Academy – NC)

Aidoo is a high level, if not an elite shot blocker. He has great length, very fluid movements, and natural timing. He showcased a myriad of blocks here coming off the straight-up, weak side or chase down variety, but make no mistake he is one of the best (if not the best) rim protectors in North Carolina. Add on to that and Aidoo is very skilled. He is a grab-and-go candidate turning defense quickly into offense in pushing the ball up the floor and making a read. He is also a dead-eye 3-point shooter. We have said it before, but he is one of those unique five men who will be a 40% 3-point shooter and block 2 shots per game at the next level. Aidoo is only 16 so prep school is in play here, if he does that his stock will blow past all the low and mid-majors here in this region who should be trying to get him now.

Players without offers (yet) showcase talent at Phenom All-American Camp - Phenom Hoop Report

7’ 2020 Jonas Aidoo (Voyager Academy – NC)

Aidoo is a high level, if not an elite shot blocker. He has great length, very fluid movements, and natural timing. He showcased a myriad of blocks here coming off the straight-up, weak side or chase down variety, but make no mistake he is one of the best (if not the best) rim protectors in North Carolina. Add on to that and Aidoo is very skilled. He is a grab-and-go candidate turning defense quickly into offense in pushing the ball up the floor and making a read. He is also a dead-eye 3-point shooter. We have said it before, but he is one of those unique five men who will be a 40% 3-point shooter and block 2 shots per game at the next level. Aidoo is only 16 so prep school is in play here, if he does that his stock will blow past all the low and mid-majors here in this region who should be trying to get him now.

Players without offers (yet) showcase talent at Phenom All-American Camp - Phenom Hoop Report
A single eval from 2 years from a not too well known source…that’s putting A LOT of stock into that. Front office GM’s miss on guys, not sure I would take that one article has some sort of proof that Aidoo will be that.

You seem to want to take what was said 1-2 years ago about Aidoo but ignore practice reports from current point in time?

VN Store

Back