Tiyon Evans needs to be the feature back.

This is huge. We lose a lot at 2 OL spots when Cooper isn't in there. Wish we had a capable backup Center to keep Carvin at guard, he's much much better there.
Hopefully Heupel can find a center in the transfer portal or at least someone that is better suited for that position because we at least need someone that is better suited to come in if Cooper is out and we can't afford to spend a couple of years developing one.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
The problem is that the run game is very pedestrian without Cooper. We don't have another true center on the roster. OL depth is a major issue. Your center is the second QB on offense in regards to calling blocking assignments.
It's worse with him playing hurt.

Reactions: supersmo18
Evans has been one of the standouts this year on offense. He should be our starting back receiving the majority of the carries. I like Jabari Small but believe Evans brings more to the table. Tiyon runs violently, moves the pile, and is tough to tackle. The guy has some swagger as well. Thoughts VN?

He’s got to get healthy and learn the O. That’s what’s holding him back right now.

Evans and Small are combining to average 101.25 yards rushing per game, and three of our four opponents were average at best (and that's being extremely kind). I prefer Evans over Small, but neither one of them is a game changer. As usual, the quality of our wide receivers and our running backs were way overrated by the fan base before the season started.
Bad math.

Evans has been one of the standouts this year on offense. He should be our starting back receiving the majority of the carries. I like Jabari Small but believe Evans brings more to the table. Tiyon runs violently, moves the pile, and is tough to tackle. The guy has some swagger as well. Thoughts VN?
He is a load and he arrives with an attitude. I will let the coaches decide how best to manage the running backs - but he means business. We need to recruit more like him.

I thought from the beginning that Evans was our best back. But we need him and Smalls, but for sure Evans has to get more touches. We still need a bigger running back, Evans has strong legs but we need a Alabama-Georgia type back big that has speed and vision. We can find one we have to go get him. GBO!!!!!!

Spot on. Carvin is definitely not a center. He is best suited as a guard. I hope Cooper can play and is healthy. The OL loses a lot of thump when Ollie Lane is inserted into the lineup so far this year.
i remember Butch saying how the center and QB are the only people who touches the ball every snap.

The play the other night where he got his helmet knocked off and he didn’t quit battling and trying to run made me an even bigger fan of his. Love the effort he seems to play with.

Reactions: ACvol3
Evans and Small are combining to average 101.25 yards rushing per game, and three of our four opponents were average at best (and that's being extremely kind). I prefer Evans over Small, but neither one of them is a game changer. As usual, the quality of our wide receivers and our running backs were way overrated by the fan base before the season started.
So it was the fans fault again. Got it.

Enlighten me. What do you get when you divide 405 rushing yards (from these two players) by 4 games?
They’re each averaging about five yards a carry. Evans missed a full game, and Small missed a full game cumulatively. Averaging their yards into four games is off by about a game. Five yards a carry is Barry Sanders NFL career average. Running behind this often injured line and getting five yards a carry doesn’t point to a deficiency in our RB talent.

They’re each averaging about five yards a carry. Evans missed a full game, and Small missed a full game cumulatively. Averaging their yards into four games is off by about a game. Five yards a carry is Barry Sanders NFL career average. Running behind this often injured line and getting five yards a carry doesn’t point to a deficiency in our RB talent.

When Evans was out of the lineup, more carries went to Small. When Small is out of the lineup, more carries go to Evans. The total number of carries wouldn't have increased in Game #2 had Evans been playing. He would have gained carries, and Small would have lost carries. The facts are what they are. These 2 players have rushed for 405 total yards through 4 games. That is 101.25 total rushing yards per game from these two players.

The yards per carry doesn't change anything, and comparing average yards per carry for Barry Sanders over an entire NFL career to the average yards per carry by two players against Bowling Green, Pittsburgh, Tennessee Tech and Florida is about as worthless as comparisons can possibly get. If you want to compare their rushing to Barry Sanders (a monumentally stupid idea, BTW), Barry Sanders averaged 6.8 yards per carry over his entire college career. In the one and only season in which he was the starting running back in college, he averaged 7.6 yards per carry while rolling up 2,628 yards rushing and 37 rushing TD's in 1988 in an 11-game season. That is 238.91 rushing yards per game. Let me know when Evans and Small come anywhere remotely close.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you’re incorrect on the original point, and your addendum. Please review their carries per game. As an example, let’s take Pitt. Evans had zero carries. JS had eight. As you can see there’s a material overlap. Don’t use stats if you don’t understand them. All the rest of your blather is exhausting, but not helpful in proving anything. Five yards a carry behind this line doesn’t point to a problem with our backs. Against Florida and one of the best rushing defenses in the country they averaged (you guessed it) five yards a carry. Averaging yards per game is a waste of time when they each missed a game, and both missed much of the same game. I’m sorry my allusion to Sanders confused you. I should’ve stuck to the simple fact that you were incorrect in your original assertion, and explained it in simpler terms.

Reactions: VAVol85
that's what the coaches have been telling you as well. Evans and Small are the Chubb and Hunt of college ball. It's a privilege to have that kind of run game, now you just need to establish the run. I wouldn't play Cooper again until he's healthy.
Nah, Smalls has not impressed me at all this season. Only time this dude needs to come in the game is to give Evans a breather so he can go again. Evans runs angry and has shown why he should be the #1 back.

Reactions: plaincityvol
I don't know if this happened Saturday,but,when Cooper went out,if you put Jerome(who does a great job as a fill in center)slide Cade to guard and put Davis or someone at tackle.You would definitely have a true guard and a mauler at Jerome's old spot.

VN Store

Back