11-2
10-3

Akron:
1-2
1-5
0-12
4-8
7-7

One is a guaranteed win, one is not, and would be a grind out game before Florida.

A bowl will pay more than 500k…….Tennessee is and has been way down……right now their trying to get bowling again……sounds like priorities are in the right place to me.

It’s not like they don’t already play Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU and play Pitt non conference.

Or it’s the chop blocks.

I have seen the tanks they have.........also saved the grounds crew from repairing the field after the mortar shots turned it into a wasteland.

Reactions: kcvols1
So don’t play a team that can beat you? I wonder why this game was ever scheduled. Army’s talent even now is so far below ours it don’t matter if they ran a quadruple option we should play and beat them easily. This just looks bad.
I think you are missing the point. Its not the Army game. Its the worry that taking cut blocks to knees constantly will make several key players questionable or at very least limited the following week against Florida. Against Akron even if they are having success their style being more orthodox is less likely to present as many problems the following week. And by being more orthodox your linebackers can continue typical principles of playing position instead of complete hiatus for a week getting them preparing for a completely different philosophy from an academy school. So this decision was more about focus on Florida than running from a fight with Army. As for your question about scheduling. Who knows different coaches and athletic directors make these deals way in advance and as gets closer and different people make decisions and decide to go a different direction. I remember several years ago we had a future series with Ohio State scheduled and a few years ago Tennessee worked its way out for that not to happen in future. Now that at the time seemed cowardly and yes it definitely is backing down. But with the continued beat down we get on conference scheduling another game of that magnitude gives no breather on ogher weeks. Thats a different story of what happened with Army.

Assignment football is a difficult concept for a linebacker who is almost always taught see ball go get ball. Against triple option. You go for ball and the putch happens and there you are looking stupid and the guy gets to second level. Meanwhile your guys that are looking back get engaged by one defender and blocked with the other. Its ruthless.

Last edited:
Army 5 years running:
3-0
9-3
5-8
11-2
10-3

Akron:
1-2
1-5
0-12
4-8
7-7

One is a guaranteed win, one is not, and would be a grind out game before Florida.

A bowl will pay more than 500k…….Tennessee is and has been way down……right now their trying to get bowling again……sounds like priorities are in the right place to me.

It’s not like they don’t already play Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU and play Pitt non conference.
We lose money every time we go to a bowl

So don’t play a team that can beat you? I wonder why this game was ever scheduled. Army’s talent even now is so far below ours it don’t matter if they ran a quadruple option we should play and beat them easily. This just looks bad.

Yawn

We lose money every time we go to a bowl

I’m not sure your looking at the “whole” picture.

For a program with a fan base like Tennessee, who has had 3 losing seasons over the past 4……a bowl is huge…….and will generate tons of cash.

Not simply the “bowl” money.

Reactions: 08Vol
I’m not sure your looking at the “whole” picture.

For a program with a fan base like Tennessee, who has had 3 losing seasons over the past 4……a bowl is huge…….and will generate tons of cash.

Not simply the “bowl” money.
I understand that. But that was not the argument you were making. You were taking about how we make more off a bowl then this cancellation. That's simply not true financially. Do we benefit more? Yes.

I understand that. But that wake the argument you were making. You were taking about how we make more off a bowl then this cancellation. That's simply not true financially. Do we benefit more? Yes.

Ummmm that’s exactly what I am saying.

Financially they will make more by making a bowl than 500k.

The “whole” picture…..not simply what the bowl pays, vs what it will cost.

More revenue simply from the bowl
Increased revenue from basically everything else……at least for the next year.

How many new orange shirts do you think Tennessee could sell if Tennessee goes to the Music City Bowl?

Many millions, would Tennessee gain by attending a bowl game…..especially right about now.

Ummmm that’s exactly what I am saying.

Financially they will make more by making a bowl than 500k.

The “whole” picture…..not simply what the bowl pays, vs what it will cost.

More revenue simply from the bowl
Increased revenue from basically everything else……at least for the next year.

How many new orange shirts do you think Tennessee could sell if Tennessee goes to the Music City Bowl?

Many millions, would Tennessee gain by attending a bowl game…..especially right about now.
They will lose money by going to the music city bowl. Ohio State lost tens of thousands going to a BCS bowl back when that was thing. Lol. You need to look into this more. I do think it's better long term for us to not go to bowls. But we are screwed financially when we do. As are most teams. Bowels aren't good for money.

Last edited:
Army 5 years running:
3-0
9-3
5-8
11-2
10-3

Akron:
1-2
1-5
0-12
4-8
7-7

Army is a guaranteed win.

VN Store

Back