Can you teach a QB touch???

I thought he completed less than 50% of his passes in high school ? And it is high school.
It is high school but he was putting more air on the ball on his deep throws. Whether they were caught is redundant. He wasn’t throwing piss missles for 50 yds then.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Lane Kiffin taught Corral touch in one offseason.
You mean a 10 game season and an offseason? Or just spring practice a full summer and fall camp… either way I’m not happy with Milton but at least add some realistic perspective on the subject. Because Corral also threw almost 11 ints in 2 games. This place would be crucifying Jesus Christ over that if he started the 3rd game.

You mean a 10 game season and an offseason? Or just spring practice a full summer and fall camp… either way I’m not happy with Milton but at least add some realistic perspective on the subject. Because Corral also threw almost 11 ints in 2 games. This place would be crucifying Jesus Christ over that if he started the 3rd game.
No, I mean in the off-season prior to the 10-game season. Corral was balling immediately, and was dramatically improved.

He did elevate better this past week, but touch is also just a God-given talent. The elevation this past week did nothing to help the overthrows, which were still way off.

What game WERE YOU WATCHING? He missed more wide open WRs vs Pitt than he did vs BG. It was UGLY!!!

Touch can be taught, watched my son at Peyton Manning's camp for 3 years where they hounded touch. While I like Ainge he's wrong on this. Finesse on the other hand can't be taught. You either have it or not. Touch is all about timing and trajectory. Squaring shoulders and keeping your core aligned to target but finesse is the ability to drop the ball in the bucket. Milton has to want to change to get better but I think he has developed too many bad habits to do this. Maybe he can but I won't be holding my breath. Hooker is further along with both and HB well I'll keep my unpopular opinion to myself. Maybe this all works out which I hope does but right now I don't see it. Enlighten me.

Is this teachable? I don't know but I would have set up some kind of high bar in practice for him to throw up and over to help him with this issue. I guess a lot of drop shot practicing??? into buckets or something from multiple distances??
What is there to teach, according to Milton after his first game in the interview, he can do it all.

There was hype video before the season started and it showed Milton throwing a long pass for a TD. Not saying it didn't take multiple times to get the shot LOL but he did it and CJH said he's making the passes and plays in practice.

I don't know...may be Milton needs to go see a sports shrink , wearing that Red shirt may be giving him the confidence he needs knowing he won't be hit. Then game time...locks up

No clue but I did see more air under his ball last week game compared to the BG game so I think he's open to learning.
Still think my suggestion to rollout 5-10yrd backwards and then throw fixes his long ball though🤣🤣

And (prior to season) Bailey has said that our offense is "simple" by design and video of games 1 and 2 shows Milton not connecting on multiple, well-designed simple pass plays.

Something will have to give soon (Milton steps it up and/or Bailey plays too).

Touch can be taught, watched my son at Peyton Manning's camp for 3 years where they hounded touch. While I like Ainge he's wrong on this. Finesse on the other hand can't be taught. You either have it or not. Touch is all about timing and trajectory. Squaring shoulders and keeping your core aligned to target but finesse is the ability to drop the ball in the bucket. Milton has to want to change to get better but I think he has developed too many bad habits to do this. Maybe he can but I won't be holding my breath. Hooker is further along with both and HB well I'll keep my unpopular opinion to myself. Maybe this all works out which I hope does but right now I don't see it. Enlighten me.

Did your son start in high school ? Did he play in college ? If you have an unpopular opinion that you are keeping to yourself - Is that from personal observation ? Or what is the basis of your unpopular opinion - just curious since I feel that you probably know more than most about qb play. Your son of course is going to know more than you do. :) At least I believe that to be true.

I could be wrong but Miltons footwork ( or lack thereof) is atrocious.

Did your son start in high school ? Did he play in college ? If you have an unpopular opinion that you are keeping to yourself - Is that from personal observation ? Or what is the basis of your unpopular opinion - just curious since I feel that you probably know more than most about qb play. Your son of course is going to know more than you do. :) At least I believe that to be true.

Yes Son played QB from city league all the way until his SR year in high school as QB until he broke his collarbone and then moved to DB where he played in college. And we have talked to lengths about this very topic and his words were you can learn touch but finesse you can't. Trust me. We (wife and I) have set through many camps with him playing QB and I only know from a parent overhearing the coaches hound on the kids and the drills they put them through.

Now the opinion you asked about is my unpopular opinion about HB. Which I'm tired of beating a dead horse and as one poster went through the pains to back up his opinion by film which take it for what it's worth focused on the bad instead of the good. The kid was a freshman and made freshman mistakes. But as I said I'll keep that to myself. But the answer to this thread is YES touch can be taught, finesse can't!

And yes sir... while I played DB in college my son's football knowledge is off the charts and why he didn't go into coaching still has me scratching my head. When he was done he was done. Walked away with 2 division championship rings, started as a freshman and left it all on the field. One thing I miss most in life is not seeing him on the field on sidelines.

Disagree, Heupel made a change after 3 games and started Dillon Gabriel for UCF. History doesn’t support your theory at all.
I agree that we should not assume CJH is as stubborn as Pruitt.

Game reps are the only way to know how a guy will perform in games. So, with 3 new QBs it makes sense to rank them in camp based on practice and then try them one by one in games.

Three games like Gabriel’s predecessor got seems about right...if not successful move to the next.

Maybe coaches could just con him into throwing to the defender on those long bombs. That way he overthrows them right into our WR's hands!

Let me get this straight yall are upset with QB the completes 50% and 36 points a game.

But thrilled to death with a 70% completion and 18.5 points a game

Give me 50% and more points....cause eventually it will rise higher
You're right...In reality until the L's turn to W's, it's going to be dissected in every imaginable way. BG doesn't count...that was more the manner of how we made mistakes against much lesser opponent. If we beat Pitt and were up by safe distance when Milton got hurt, it would be more about "hope we get him healthy"

Last edited:
Reactions: whodeycin85
Is this teachable? I don't know but I would have set up some kind of high bar in practice for him to throw up and over to help him with this issue. I guess a lot of drop shot practicing??? into buckets or something from multiple distances??

No, that is impossible! Either they have it or they they do not!

Normally I would say absolutely but in the case of Milton, I'm not so sure. The guy is so far off the meter, I don't know if he can be recalibrated.

Unfortunately there seems to be a comparison with Milton and JG. Both are great practice players but cannot transfer it to game day. We just have to hope our new coach is not like Pruitt and be so stubborn he won't bench him when needed. Which may be now.
JG was terrible and JG is twice the QB Milton is so far.

Feleipe Franks was probably a worse case of erratic QB play than Milton. Franks had the huge arm and was always overthrowing people or throwing it too hard, or generally not having any finesse or touch. But in addition to that, he was totally ruined from a mental standpoint; skittish, no confidence, clearly scared to make mistakes, gun-shy, he seemed to get to a point where he’d rather take a sack or airmail a ball versus risking an interception. He was a total mess.

I don’t think Joe Milton has all those issues. He only has the erratic arm part from what I’ve seen. He doesn’t have the confidence issues or the mental issues.

My point for bringing Franks up is that he most definitely improved in every aspect thanks to really good coaching, scheming and play calling. Plus, I know things like off-season workouts and drills helped as well. Mullen took him from 8 TD’s and 9 picks to 37 TD’s and 8 picks in roughly the same amount of games. Really a phenomenal turnaround. Franks then went to Arkansas and continued, for the most part, solid Qb play with 17 TDs and 4 picks his last year.

So it can be done. Huepel is a good enough coach to get it done.

VN Store

Back