NCAA Considering Roster Relief For Schools With Too Many Transfers

SprocketRocket

According to ESPN, the NCAA is considering allowing schools who have been hit hard by transfers to go over the yearly 25-player signing limit. None of the details are finalized yet, but is clear that they did not appreciate the impact of the portal and the one-time transfer rule. Even though they don't mention any schools in particular, the story spells out essentially what happened to UT, and also what could happen to us again, and to any other school in the country. Since players can essentially transfer without penalty, a coach should consider that his entire team is potentially in the transfer portal at all times. I hope that if they try to help fix things, that it isn't too late to help us.

I live in Chattanooga and before it ever came to be a thing, coach Mack McCarthy said on our local talk radio sports program that the transfer portal was a disaster in the making. Coaches have to recruit for the future, and no coach can recruit for the future not knowing who is going to be there. I don't like the current state of things either. I feel like if a kid wants to transfer, there should be some kind of price to pay. What we have is football free agency, and it seems to run counter to what has always appealed to me about college football.

This has to happen, and only make sense that it will. Which is why the NCAA will say no. Haha. I kid, but in all reality a team can be completely decimated by transfers, and will have no chance to catch back up for years if they are capped at 25 each class.

As long as coaches can leave, at any time without any penalties, this is going to be an issue. Players should have the same right to leave as coaches. 90% of the players in the portal did not get scholarship offers from other schools. That alone, will slow the process in the coming years. If the NCAA has an issue with the portal, they'll figure it out.

Portal only benefits the top programs as they get they get first pick once a kid goes in. Then it comes down to the kid wanting to play at Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, UGA, Clemson vs. everyone else. If the portal stays wide open for years, less and less HS kids will have the chance to go play as coaches can go get a more experience player in the portal.

As long as coaches can leave, at any time without any penalties, this is going to be an issue. Players should have the same right to leave as coaches. 90% of the players in the portal did not get scholarship offers from other schools. That alone, will slow the process in the coming years. If the NCAA has an issue with the portal, they'll figure it out.

All true, but there are penalties for coaches who leave - it just isn't normally the coach who pays them.

I get it. If a kid comes to play for a coach and the coach leaves, he might not want to stay. But I see it as different if a kid comes to play for a coach and gets his feelings hurt because he sees his buddy at another school playing as a freshman and he thinks he is being dissed. I still think if you choose to leave a school for no other reason than you just want to, then you should have to pay a price. Sitting out a year seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Coaches can’t leave at any time without penalties. That’s why their are buyouts. Heck for that matter Colleges can’t fire coaches at any time without penalties.

Non revocable 4 years scholarships.
Get a 1 year penalty if transfer. Sit out and lose 1 year eligibility.
OR
Players come and go as they please.

Not saying it would happen but it COULD happen, what if an entire roster decided to transfer...No players no team and think about the loss of revenue...That would be insane if a team couldn't play due to having no players.

According to ESPN, the NCAA is considering allowing schools who have been hit hard by transfers to go over the yearly 25-player signing limit. None of the details are finalized yet, but is clear that they did not appreciate the impact of the portal and the one-time transfer rule. Even though they don't mention any schools in particular, the story spells out essentially what happened to UT, and also what could happen to us again, and to any other school in the country. Since players can essentially transfer without penalty, a coach should consider that his entire team is potentially in the transfer portal at all times. I hope that if they try to help fix things, that it isn't too late to help us.

I live in Chattanooga and before it ever came to be a thing, coach Mack McCarthy said on our local talk radio sports program that the transfer portal was a disaster in the making. Coaches have to recruit for the future, and no coach can recruit for the future not knowing who is going to be there. I don't like the current state of things either. I feel like if a kid wants to transfer, there should be some kind of price to pay. What we have is football free agency, and it seems to run counter to what has always appealed to me about college football.

They’ll make a decision after signing day.

25 max high school players.
1 for 1 on transfers up to a max of 32 scholarships a year.

If you take all 25 HS, that gives you up to 7 transfers you can replace. If you lose 10 transfers and take 10 in, then your max HS players would be 22.

I might be wrong on a few details, but that is what I gathered while I was working and listening to the radio.

I can see the meeting. Member says, “let’s take Tennessee, for instance…” Whole room immediately shouts “nay!”

Not saying it would happen but it COULD happen, what if an entire roster decided to transfer...No players no team and think about the loss of revenue...That would be insane if a team couldn't play due to having no players.
There are always the extremes but you make a valid point. If a kid wants to transfer, fine, but to me there should be at least a minimum one year you have to sit out and two wouldn't hurt my feelings. i thought college was supposed to be getting an education FIRST. Well, there should be consequences for a student when they promise to play football for a school, gain a scholarship, then essentially break that contract. After all, the student is getting a scholarship for playing--this is just one of life's lessons they should have to learn. My thoughts.

Does it make a whole lot of difference for UT with 35 available if they are all 2 and 3 * recruits? You may get 1 SEC caliber extra player out of the additional 10.

We should get 35 next year, sounds good time me. GBO!!!!
Only if more transfer this year. Not retroactive, as from what I've seen of it. Up to 7 I believe is their interim idea. For any transfers after the early signing period.

A year late for our situation unfortunately.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back