Alex Golesh UT OC - What were you thinking?????

Can you really call it an excellent play call if you know your QB can't execute the play? Open receivers are only a part of it. I think that's the OP's point.

Work within your limitations. If your QB is struggling, call plays he can make, build his confidence, keep the ball moving at a steady clip. You only need 3.34 yards per play to keep moving the sticks. You don't need 3 TD bombs to win a game.
We ran the ball against Arkansas until they adjusted. Then we didn’t score the second half. Heaven forbid we call plays designed to score a TD in one play. That’s literally the object of the game.

What you said would make sense of our line couldn’t protect or our guys couldn’t get open. When they do, the QB - at this level - must complete EASY passes that will result in big plays.

We ran the ball against Arkansas until they adjusted. Then we didn’t score the second half. Heaven forbid we call plays designed to score a TD in one play. That’s literally the object of the game.

What you said would make sense of our line couldn’t protect or our guys couldn’t get open. When they do, the QB - at this level - must complete EASY passes that will result in big plays.

Don't entirely disagree. But the facts are that you had a QB who couldn't complete those easy passes. And it was obvious since Bowling Green. And it's not bad to take a shot and miss... you have to have those and you have to give your players a chance to be successful. But after the first 3/4 misses, you have to adjust.

So... you either change the play, or you change the QB.
BOTH of those decisions are that of the OC (and probably Heupel too.)

Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* We had an early lead of 7-0
* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.
Doesn't sound like the coaches are playing to the players strengths does it..

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.

Well the best option for what you suggest would be to reinforce the running game. With Evans out, and Smalls injured by halftime, I gotta ask: Why not bring on Beckwith?

I remember when Pruitt came in and Tennessee could only score 14 on W Virg, and 24 on UTEP………people were wishing he would stop trying to “grind it”……and try to score.

I was one of them……..but I didn’t hate him yet……at that point. (By the Vandy game year 1…..that was enough for me)

We wanted “different”…..and we got it.
We wanted to score more…..and we got it.

Last years team was freakin hot garbage…..then lost a freakin ton of players, then even more out this past week. Tennessee plays a better team, with more depth, who has had much more consistent success over the past decade plus. Tennessee done everything wrong, and still came within a foot of “maybe” being able to win.

And all we do is………”the coach is hot garbage”……..after 2 freakin games.

It sucks…….but it is what it is…….”Tennessee” is and has been the hot garbage for a long time……….there ain’t no light switch for this mess, to simply turn it off.

I’m hopeful Heupel can get this team moving forward, growing and becoming better……including wins.

We’ll see

Reactions: Coach_Z

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Brother, I hope you never drink and dial. Drinking and posting is one thing but leaving a possible recording behind is another. All due respect…

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

I thought Heupel was the play caller?
GBO!!

Eh, I kinda see op’s point. I get that this offense is designed to spread the field, but when your QB can’t hit the broad side of a barn, and you really can’t establish the run because of it, you dink and dunk them to death. You take what the defense is giving you and do what you have to do to score some damn points!

I think our offense is capable already of keeping the sticks moving and that would be a huge benefit. Hind sight is 20/20 and we all know that if we had done that, a bunch of those penalty yards would not occur, Pitt would not get the momentum and would never have stood a chance, but I would have gone for the home run multiple times too. We had such an advantage on the deep routes and could have destroyed them with it if only the throws were right.

Just saying one thing- go back to the start of fall practice and look and the Fingers post for each practice and read how many times the reporters who were watching wrote in their comments that Harrison Bailey threw the best pass hitting his receiver in stride on deep balls. The strongest arm is not the best QB. Give me the guy who can complete more passes and make more plays with his arm.

And just to clarify I am saying either Hooker or Bailey is a better QB and who we should be playing if we want a chance to make a bowl.

Here is what I think is going on. They send receivers out on different routes. For some reason our receiver running the deep route winds up open (I know weird right), so that is who Milton throws too. Why throw to the short or intermediate route when the long ball is there?

Did you ever stop to think that the threat of the deep ball keeps the defense from stuffing the box? Course you did.

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

UT should seriously call you. Your hindsight is 20:20!

Reactions: Orange_Crush

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Just be a fan your coaching points are terrible.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
We're going to have to learn to live with that. Lining up under center is not practiced and it is not in the playbook. Our QBs have not touched the hiney of a center in the last 15 years .
FIFY

Here is what I think is going on. They send receivers out on different routes. For some reason our receiver running the deep route winds up open (I know weird right), so that is who Milton throws too. Why throw to the short or intermediate route when the long ball is there?
You do make a good point, because we all know chicks dig the long ball.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back