Pitt Was The Better Team?

Poor quarterback play.
Poor offensive line play (especially run blocking).
Poor discipline - too may penalties & mistakes.

There you go - we lost.

Reactions: Vol Main
I love these threads. We should have won if..... While just assuming (insert team) played their best possible game

It's a tradition around here, any early season loss or struggle to win especially non-conference that other team is obviously awesome. 2017 Georgia Tech was going to challenge for the ACC (they did not, finished 5-6), 2019 Georgia St. was going to win the Sun Belt (they did not, finished 7-6), BYU was going to be awesome (they were not, finished 7-6), etc.

Reactions: knox73
with a decent QB we win that game by 21
I hate to say it but if Hooker had been named the starter and had been getting the starter's reps and had the O designed around him... UT wins that game by multiple scores. I completely understand the infatuation with Miltion's physical ability but until he can hit those deep throws he's a liability. All of the advantages he offers are based off of hitting those deep throws to loosen everything else up.

I love these threads. We should have won if..... While just assuming (insert team) played their best possible game
i don’t think that at all. Pitt definitely could have run the ball better and our 1st TD was an absolute gift.

Milton missed more wide open deep throws in 2 games than Peyton, did his whole career, or almost any other QB we've had. Harrison Bailey beats that team by 10. We didn't need a running QB to beat that team, the WRs were running wide open all over the field!

Reactions: HalfullVol
Let's look at this.... If you take away the over throws, the penalties, and the stupid calls on defense, and QB choice and played to win what would the score had been? 4th and inches and we don't convert? who was the better team?

We gave them this game. Plain and simple.
They were the better team! Team includes the QB , and by theirs being superior to ours gave them the advantage.

Let's look at this.... If you take away the over throws, the penalties, and the stupid calls on defense, and QB choice and played to win what would the score had been? 4th and inches and we don't convert? who was the better team?

You forgot to point out, if you take away Pitt's 41 points, we shut them out and are 2-0.. 🤪

Reactions: HalfullVol
Milton missed more wide open deep throws in 2 games than Peyton, did his whole career, or almost any other QB we've had. Harrison Bailey beats that team by 10. We didn't need a running QB to beat that team, the WRs were running wide open all over the field!
JG says hello... but your point is well taken.

JG missed a ton of throws for sure, but he did hit one or two! God bless him, Milton ain't even close! It's not even in the zip code!

Above average nationally. They are one of the contenders for the Coastal Division of the ACC (or whatever stupid name their division has).

I would agree they are middle of the pack for an SEC team. I think they are about the level of Kentucky, which is still slightly avove average for the SEC (so weird to say that about UK).
The Kentucky team I saw play Saturday night would curb stomp Pitt.
They have a very good shot at being second in the east this year.

Truth Pitt sucks and probably wont win 7 games. We **** the bed.

Truth is, Pitt is a Senior laden team. QB, OL, DL, showed their maturity and never got rattled.
On another note, our team played harder than they have since like when Dobbs lead us to victory at SCe. They fought and never gave up. Even though they made mistakes they continued to fight. Teams of the past would have rolled over before half time.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Without the blocked punt, we would have lost by 14. If special teams didn't setup the offensive on the 2 yard line, we might not have scored that additional touchdown.

Lololololol if we only take away everything we did wrong, we win!! You totally nailed it, I'm not sure why Huepel hasn't called you yet and offered you a job

Pitt was not the better team. Tennessee had 13 penalties for 134 yards I believe. You cannot commit those amount of mistakes and beat anyone. Tennessee also threw away points on over thrown passes and eventually just cut it's own throat by wearing out their own defense. If they're going to make this a decent year, they have to clean up and get better disciplined. Period.

Since we did all that and they didn't, I think that basically makes them the better team.

After falling behind 10-0 early we outscored u guys 41-24 the rest of the way. We're clearly better.. just rattled in the beginning with the crowd after they settled in it was pretty surgical

Defensively, the whole game was weird. It felt like we were making plays, then you look up and see 41 points on the board. We're just not good enough to overcome turnovers and field position.

Defense was really good on 1st & 2nd down. But, Pitt converted a ton of 3rd and mid to longs. Their OL is experienced and stymied our pass rush in pure passing downs for most of the day. To me, that was the difference along with an excellent experienced QB.

Pitt was definitely the most experienced team. They started 21 Seniors. Their QB has played D1 ball for 6 years. I still think we should have won the game. Penalties and over throws cost us the game.

When you say better TEAM, then this is what I see too. Might not look the same @ seasons end. We have more upside IMO this year.

Reactions: Vol524
After falling behind 10-0 early we outscored u guys 41-24 the rest of the way. We're clearly better.. just rattled in the beginning with the crowd after they settled in it was pretty surgical

Pretty accurate. Although the 1st Q do count as part of the games too.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Overall I was impressed with Pitt at WR and it seemed to me that they were just a lot bigger in the trenches, but with some touch on a pass or 2 we would have been up 21-0. We would have quit in the 2nd quarter last year in a game like this one

Reactions: BanditVol

Two evenly matched teams, we have nominally better athletes overall, they had the better QB. Their QB never turned it over, ours turned it over 3 times. They were 5 for 5 in the Red Zone, we struggled. Our QB's made some plays with their legs but if we can't hit wide open receivers down the field and stop the turnovers it will be another long season.

VN Store

Back