Fourth down call - Could they have run a play call worse than that?

I'm all about staying with Heupel. I think the team will be alright. But what was up with the Shotgun on 4th and Inches?

A terrible idea for sure. Put the ball in Hooker's hands.

The only thing I can figure is that everyone in the stadium thought the same thing, so Heupel tried to do the unexpected.

But sometimes you just go ahead and do the obvious thing. Everyone always expected Jordon to take the last shot, right?

Its been debated on here and gone back and forth between it the was called play or was Hooker supposed to make a read, fake handoff and keep it around the end or was the play for him to keep it and he misunderstood. We will probably never know. Since it sucked Heuple probably will never address it.

I don't like the shotgun there, but still it seemed fairly clear that the QB had the option of handing it off to the RB or keeping it around the end. It looked like Hooker misread the defense and should have kept the ball for a likely score.

Why be cute when brute force should get what you need? This was a time for a QB keeper or a big back power run. They needed inches - thanks to a terrible ball placement.

I'm all about staying with Heupel. I think the team will be alright. But what was up with the Shotgun on 4th and Inches?
I think its funny to start with "Im all about staying with Huepel".
Didn’t like that call, and I like Heupel.

I’m betting that’s not a mistake he makes again.
If you think he wont be in the shotgun again on 4th and short, you are going to be upset a lot. I personally dont have a problem with it.

I don't like the shotgun there, but still it seemed fairly clear that the QB had the option of handing it off to the RB or keeping it around the end. It looked like Hooker misread the defense and should have kept the ball for a likely score.

Why be cute when brute force should get what you need? This was a time for a QB keeper or a big back power run. They needed inches - thanks to a terrible ball placement.
Happen to catch the Titans game? Ask Derek Henry how easy it is to get just a half yard in a power formation.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I think that play can't help but call into question CJHs coaching ability. Certainly better than mine, but maybe not major college.

A terrible idea for sure. Put the ball in Hooker's hands.

The only thing I can figure is that everyone in the stadium thought the same thing, so Heupel tried to do the unexpected.

But sometimes you just go ahead and do the obvious thing. Everyone always expected Jordon to take the last shot, right?
He actually did put it in Hookers hand and he decided to hand it off. Would have had a much better chance to score if he keeps it

There is a movement to running inches to convert from shotgun or rpo set. It is a trend which is seen in college and pros. I like power running game so this approach grates on me. Narduzzi at Pitt has about a 50% defense rate against 4th down. The odds of conversion should have been in our favor.
What I can't comprehend is, if you're going to use shotgun / rpo set but not give your QB the option to keep and run. Makes no sense to me. You take 50% of the dynamic away from the reason to go with that set. Some claim Hooker would have converted easily. Not true. When you watch that play frame by frame, Pitt's DE played very disciplined. He contained the QB option until the handoff and then he cut towards the ball carrier. But given Hooker's athleticism, I would think odds are favorable for him to win against the DE in open field. The play was also doomed because Pitt collapsed our Center and Guards and moved the line backwards. CJH mentioned miscommunication along the line on that play, too.

Supposedly, Hooker was suppose to read the LB position and reaction and run away from them. Handoff was okay based on a correct read, which he did not make.

I can see a logic behind the QB read in a case where the center and/or quarterback hasn't trained any under center sets. QB sneak is the right call but only if you've actually practiced it with that personnel. I don't like the idea of a straight up zone run for the running back with no QB keep option. Maybe it's just my own bias but zone blocking looks very boom or bust to me, especially giving up an unblocked defender on the edge, so it's better when it's not 4th down and the chance of a long run can be more valuable than a guaranteed short gain.

Its been debated on here and gone back and forth between it the was called play or was Hooker supposed to make a read, fake handoff and keep it around the end or was the play for him to keep it and he misunderstood. We will probably never know. Since it sucked Heuple probably will never address it.

Makes no difference..... When you need 6" and you back up 6-7 yards to start,,, that makes no sense...

Reactions: Doberman and Lurker
We'll never know, but I'm curious if Heuple lines up under center with Cooper Mays starting and Evans is in the backfield. I have no problem lining up in the shotgun but either Heuple or Hooker have to be able to read the d better in that situation. Biggest problem in all of this is 4 points left on the field in the first quarter after the wide open TD pass that was overthrown and Tennessee kicks the field goal. Those 4 points were the difference in having the option to kick a field goal on 4th to tie the game of go for it to try and take the lead.

Here was the first problem with this situation.:mad:

I agree too many moving parts going from the gun, yeah chance for a big reward but the safer option is just smash it with a QB keeper. I think Hooker would've pushed and fought to get the 1st down. That then gives you 4 plays to do something cute.

I like what Ainge said in the post game show. If you're not going to run QB sneak in that situation, spread the defense out and trust the QB to make the right play. Either find an open receiver or get it with your legs.

Reactions: McDad and Doberman
Coach says it wasn't a rpo. There wasn't an option for him to keep it.

If that's the case - and I'm not doubting you - just haven't heard the clip of Heupel saying that - then that might be the worst play call in history. I've assumed since Saturday it was a read and Hooker just screwed the pooch and didn't pull it. An inside zone on the goal line from shot gun with no option is just bad football.

So many assumptions being made by our idiotic fan base on this call. Hindsight is 20/20. How do you know it wasn’t lack of execution by OL, poor read by Hooker, etc? That’s the thing, unless you’re in the huddle or booth, you don’t know.

Didn’t like that call, and I like Heupel.

I’m betting that’s not a mistake he makes again.

Oh I bet it is a mistake we'll see over and over again. For some unexplained reason CJH will not put his QB under center.

The fourth down call was horrible.. Snap the ball five yards deep then slowly had the ball off to 175 pound running back up the middle. Why do our coaches do this ?. What is the success rate for a quarterback sneak with six inches to make. Heupel must have got trained under the Butch Jones school of quarterback play... A touchdown ties the game !!!!!!!
🙄

VN Store

Back