Which one of these coaches would you rather have hired?

I hate to contribute to these kinds of conversations but, I watching Miss St dominate a middling ACC school at home right after we lost to one, made me think a little. He wasn’t a home run hire, but he also wouldn’t have been a failure.

Pitt would destroy NCST. Doreen has paper tigers there just like NC.

Texas was on the road against a much improved Razorback team. Totally different situation. Texas will win multiple games more than Tennessee
Texas also has the most talented running back in the country. Texas also plays in the piss poor, no defense playing BIG12.

Reactions: 08Vol
I have only seen him coach two Tennessee games. However so far it seems he can coach.

I like his schemes, they obviously saw a couple of things on film they thought they could take advantage of and both worked flawlessly.

Tennessee was playing arguably a better team with more depth. Tennessee had tons of self inflicted crap to deal with along with 3 to 1 turnovers…….and came within 1 foot of possibly being able to win the game.

last year this team would have rolled over and died.

How many years would Coach Majors get in today's coaching world?
probably five. forget the favorite son coming home stuff. if you hire a guy fresh from coming off a natty, you give him time. you hire a guy with a less impressive record, the chain is gonna be shorter. that's just how it is.

Honestly, I think Heupel and staff have done a good job so far, with some warts of course . We finally look like a team that has big potential once we iron out the kinks and get in a groove. Now is when we need to resist the urge to voice every "here we go again" reaction and give them a chance to get things rolling. We had 3 broken strings and a cracked saddle. New strings stretch. Once they settle in , we'll get in tune and it'll be a different instrument.

Are you serious???

No I wasn't serious but didn't know how to use blue font. I used him as an example for the same reason I listed the records of other coaches.

114-34 and 3-18 are the same coach.

No way to know how a coach is going to turn out at one place vs another but a lot has to do with player talent.
Last year Sarkisian had 4 and 5 star talent to work with at every position.....three deep. Doesn't have the same kind of talent to work with now.
He may turn out to have a good record there...should because he is in the middle of loads of talent.....but there is no way to know.

I believe we have the best coach that was available and so far am not disappointed. If we had a quarterback that could run CJH's offense as designed we would have a decent record this year but I have serious doubts that the person needed is on campus at this time.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to maintain a moral high ground to justify firing the Gump then hire a guy like Freeze

This argument right here is one of the reasons why TN is in the shape it’s on. Moral high ground? Screw that. If TN cared about winning they would have hired Freeze. Has he kept his nose clean at Liberty? Yes.

Reactions: vol_smoothie
When will people understand that nobody wanted this job?
The chances of failure were far greater than succeeding, but the current staff is not a failure as of yet.
Majors would have been fired within 5 years in today's coaching climate with our current fan base.

Hugh Freeze wanted this job in the worst way and he is a proven winner.
I would say he has learned his lessons and would not cheat like he did at Ole Miss and probably gave up the call girls as well, plus Hazel's closed years ago.
Some argue the NCAA would hit us harder if we had hired Freeze. So what ? What's the difference in three years. The sanctions are over and we have a better coach.

Though I wouldn't want him, Lane Kiffin wanted this job as well.

When will people understand that nobody wanted this job‽ The chances of failure were far greater than succeeding, but the current staff is not a failure as of yet. Majors would have been fired within 5 years in today's coaching climate with our current fan base.

When will people understand you increase the money to get who you want even if they don't want it? Saban turned down Bama multiple times until the money was so much at the time he couldn't turn it down. Meanwhile we're stuck with also rans paying them $4 to $5 million per year tredding water hoping one turns out right. We put on a coaching display of how not to be a winning football team in case you missed it this past Saturday. Heupel has this year and next year to get it together but I don't see it.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
The way the contract is structured, he’d have to be laying goose eggs in conference play multiple seasons to be let go before 2025. They’re going to get more time than Dooley and Pruitt even if the results are the same the first three seasons.

Reactions: 08Vol
Hugh Freeze wanted this job in the worst way and he is a proven winner.
I would say he has learned his lessons and would not cheat like he did at Ole Miss and probably gave up the call girls as well, plus Hazel's closed years ago.
Some argue the NCAA would hit us harder if we had hired Freeze. So what ? What's the difference in three years. The sanctions are over and we have a better coach.

Though I wouldn't want him, Lane Kiffin wanted this job as well.
The SEC wouldn't allow Freeze to be hired, and Kiffin wasn't bolting from another team after one season to come back to the one he bolted from previously. Neither of those hires were happening.

This argument right here is one of the reasons why TN is in the shape it’s on. Moral high ground? Screw that. If TN cared about winning they would have hired Freeze. Has he kept his nose clean at Liberty? Yes.

Thank You Train. You think Alabama or Georgia or Florida cares about the moral high ground ?
This is the SEC. Get busy winnin' or join the ACC.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
When will people understand you increase the money to get who you want even if they don't want it? Saban turned down Bama multiple times until the money was so much at the time he couldn't turn it down. Meanwhile we're stuck with also rans paying them $4 to $5 million per year tredding water hoping one turns out right. We put on a coaching display of how not to be a winning football team in case you missed it this past Saturday. Heupel has this year and next year to get it together but I don't see it.
Heupel is here for 6 years dude. Check his contract.

The SEC wouldn't allow Freeze to be hired, and Kiffin wasn't bolting from another team after one season to come back to the one he bolted from previously. Neither of those hires were happening.

Freeze had been cleared by Greg Sankey this year. Your claim was true a year ago, but he was available and wanted the job.
Reports are Kiffin was bidding for the job. I agree with you though - If Kiffin took the UT job, it would have proven he hasn't changed at all.

Reactions: tbh and lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back