Per Doug Gottlieb In ESPN The Magazine

I heard that several months ago. I think it would be a mistake. For both parties involved.

LOL at expecting any answer but the one you got.

I thought the same thing. But Hat is right that it would be a dumb move for the Wizards. I think Bruce Pearl's scheme is fine for college, but would be torn apart in the pros. I'm sure he would adapt it, but if I were Grunfeld, I would go after someone who runs more of an NBA type offense.

if i were Bruce i would take the first nba offer that came calling so that when he has to sell his house its not because he is unemployed

Our program as a whole is light years ahead of where it was when Pearl took over. He is struggling this year and some people are excited if he leaves? I love it. Some people are just ridiculous.

To me Bruce's style would be perfect. The NBA plays no defense and he coaches no defense. A match made in heaven.

Our program as a whole is light years ahead of where it was when Pearl took over. He is struggling this year and some people are excited if he leaves? I love it. Some people are just ridiculous.

Why not be excited? We could potentially get an even better coach with a more defensive mind set a better half court offense - things that are needed to win consistently for 6 games in a short amount of time.

We could also screw up and hire a moron. Bruce has taken us to a higher level - but that doesn't mean there isn't other coaches out there can take us the next step.

I wouldn't miss Bruce's coaching ability. I'd miss his salesmanship, excitement, and passion he's brought. He's also been a decent recruiter thus far. I'd miss the up tempo style of play - but if its at the expense of never winning consistently in a tournament then I'd sacrifice.

Has Pearl proved himself at the college level yet?

He won a DII national championship; he put UMW in the sweet 16; he resurrected a floundering UT program, winning the SEC, putting them in the NCAA tourney 3 (and counting times,) achieved (briefly) a #1 ranking, and created some national prominence for the program. He is the second fastest coach to 300 wins, and he has a losing record in the conference only to Kentucky (3-4 after last night.)

Those are some pretty nice accomplishments. Sustaining that level of success is difficult, but I believe with what he has done thusfar, he can do it. I do not know if he can make the leap from a guy who can put up a nice regular season record and win a couple of tourney games to a legit final four contender.

And, judging mainly by the list of more accomplished college coaches that have failed in the NBA, I don't see much to indicate why he would be successful as a pro coach where so many others have failed, in a game where recruiting doesn't exist, seasons and games are hellishly long, and managing egos is as important as player development. Running a pro team requires different skills than building a college program.

He won a DII national championship; he put UMW in the sweet 16; he resurrected a floundering UT program, winning the SEC, putting them in the NCAA tourney 3 (and counting times,) achieved (briefly) a #1 ranking, and created some national prominence for the program. He is the second fastest coach to 300 wins, and he has a losing record in the conference only to Kentucky (3-4 after last night.)

Those are some pretty nice accomplishments. Sustaining that level of success is difficult, but I believe with what he has done thusfar, he can do it. I do not know if he can make the leap from a guy who can put up a nice regular season record and win a couple of tourney games to a legit final four contender.

And, judging mainly by the list of more accomplished college coaches that have failed in the NBA, I don't see much to indicate why he would be successful as a pro coach where so many others have failed, in a game where recruiting doesn't exist, seasons and games are hellishly long, and managing egos is as important as player development. Running a pro team requires different skills than building a college program.
Great post :good!:

VN Store

Back