Should Kara still be on the Board Of Trustees?

Where did you find that statement? There is no mention of "perceived conflicts" in the formal guidelines, which lay out the specific forms that a conflict of interest may take (most involve using the board position for personal financial gain):

UT board of trustees conflict of interest policy

You are quoting Tennessee State University policy.

Tennessee State University Board of Trustees
Policy No. 001: Board Code of Ethics and Conduct/Conflicts of Interest Policy
I. Purpose. This policy of the Tennessee State University Board of Trustees (“Board”) sets the minimum standards for ensuring that Board members conduct themselves with a high degree of professionalism and in a manner that will not violate the public trust.
II. Definitions.
A. Conflict of Interest. A conflict of interest exists when a Board member's personal interests, whether financial or otherwise, actually or potentially diverge from the Board member's professional obligations to, and the best interests of, Tennessee State University.

Even there it includes as a definition of Conflict of Interest, a “Board member’s personal interests, whether financial or otherwise, ACTUALLY OR POTENTIALLY diverge from ……………the best interests of, Tennessee State University”.

I know Lang Wiseman took a "leave of absence" kinda of thing from the board while he serves very closely with the governor. He's been told he will be welcomed back whenever he wants to come back. It does seem odd she would continue on the board for Tennessee while coaching at another university.

You are quoting Tennessee State University policy.

Tennessee State University Board of Trustees
Policy No. 001: Board Code of Ethics and Conduct/Conflicts of Interest Policy
I. Purpose. This policy of the Tennessee State University Board of Trustees (“Board”) sets the minimum standards for ensuring that Board members conduct themselves with a high degree of professionalism and in a manner that will not violate the public trust.
II. Definitions.
A. Conflict of Interest. A conflict of interest exists when a Board member's personal interests, whether financial or otherwise, actually or potentially diverge from the Board member's professional obligations to, and the best interests of, Tennessee State University.

Even there it includes as a definition of Conflict of Interest, a “Board member’s personal interests, whether financial or otherwise, ACTUALLY OR POTENTIALLY diverge from ……………the best interests of, Tennessee State University”.

Yikes, I needed to pay closer attention. I corrected the link in my original post:

Per UT's policy, it states that "In view of the broad nature of the prohibition found in T.C.A. § 49-9-207, any activity which might constitute, or be perceived to constitute, a prohibited
conflict should be fully reported" [to the Secretary of the Board of Trustees] and then there would be a review to determine if a c-o-i did exist.
https://policy.tennessee.edu/wp-con...-Conflict-of-Interest-Policy-for-Trustees.pdf

The policy does not lay out every possible scenario, but it seems that conflict of interest are generally defined as cases where someone uses their position for financial gain or to benefit a family member. Being employed by another University does not seem to meet that technical definition.

Last edited:
Yikes, I needed to pay closer attention. I corrected the link in my original post:

Per UT's policy, it states that "In view of the broad nature of the prohibition found in T.C.A. § 49-9-207, any activity which might constitute, or be perceived to constitute, a prohibited
conflict should be fully reported" [to the Secretary of the Board of Trustees] and then there would be a review to determine if a c-o-i did exist.
https://policy.tennessee.edu/wp-con...-Conflict-of-Interest-Policy-for-Trustees.pdf

The policy does not lay out every possible scenario, but it seems that conflict of interest are generally defined as cases where someone uses their position for financial gain or to benefit a family member. Be employed by another University does not seem to meet that technical definition.

The quote you asked about was in The Preamble:

“Recognizing that the Board should provide leadership by example, it is the purpose of this policy to ensure objectivity and integrity on the part of the trustees by identifying and avoiding conflicts of interest, both real and perceived”.

The quote you asked about was in The Preamble:

“Recognizing that the Board should provide leadership by example, it is the purpose of this policy to ensure objectivity and integrity on the part of the trustees by identifying and avoiding conflicts of interest, both real and perceived”.

Right, but the policy defines conflict of interest in a very specific way and the need for disclosure in the case of potential c-o-i:

Even though members of the Board receive no compensation for their service and are not required by law to make any disclosure
whatsoever, the Board unanimously agrees that, in order to prevent any potential conflict of interest between trustee responsibilities and outside activities from
arising, there should be proper disclosure of those matters concerning which potential, conflicts could theoretically arise

The OP was suggesting that Kara had a conflict of interest because she might do something to adversely impact the Lady vol's recruiting.

1) Kara's role and duties as a board trustee, are more in terms of fiduciary oversight, and are a million miles away from recruiting battles or trying to build a program at Duke. 2) Her role as a HC at Duke is public knowledge. If that role constituted a conflict of interest as a board member, she would be off the board. She does not get to decide if there is a conflict of interest.

The kind of conflict of interest the OP member is concerned about would be more akin to say an assistant coach, who has mixed allegiances, and directs a recruit toward his/her alma mater rather than the program he/she is working for.

That situation does not apply to sitting on the board of trustees.

Right, but the policy defines conflict of interest in a very specific way and the need for disclosure in the case of potential c-o-i:

The OP was suggesting that Kara had a conflict of interest because she might do something to adversely impact the Lady vol's recruiting.

1) Kara's role and duties as a board trustee, are more in terms of fiduciary oversight, and are a million miles away from recruiting battles or trying to build a program at Duke. 2) Her role as a HC at Duke is public knowledge. If that role constituted a conflict of interest as a board member, she would be off the board. She does not get to decide if there is a conflict of interest.

The kind of conflict of interest the OP member is concerned about would be more akin to say an assistant coach, who has mixed allegiances, and directs a recruit toward his/her alma mater rather than the program he/she is working for.

That situation does not apply to sitting on the board of trustees.

Don’t want to play lawyer with you, but, do you suppose Kara listed her position on the University of Tennessee Board of Trustees on her resume, does it ever come up in her conversations with a recruit? Her hiring as a Head Coach obviously effected her financial situation. If she is giving her opinions about monetary questions at the University of Tennessee, has she ever owned a business? Could she in any way influence others about anything which concerns the Lady Vols or their Coach?

This thread proves that many believe that a Head Coach at another university would have a conflict of interest as a UT Board Trustee, and whether that employment is specifically listed or not, it defines what the policy stated it wanted to avoid, the possible appearance of a real or perceived conflict of interest.

After watching Maria on the Buck & 2MC show last night (9/6) and hearing her discuss how other coaches made things up about Pat and the program in an effort to keep players away from committing to us and not wanting us to return to what we once were. It leads me to ask if it is a conflict of interest with Kara being on the Board of Directors until 2024? Should she have to resign from her position now that she coaches for another program?

I ask this knowing that although she is a former Lady Vol, she also has a job to do for the school she is currently employed. Not saying that it has happened with Nikki at LSU or Kyra at Kentucky, but you can't look past what they may have told players or will tell players to keep them from Tennessee and have players commit to their program. And before anyone says it I am not being critical of Kara and I know she is in the ACC and not the SEC.

Would just like to hear/read others thoughts!

UT Board Of Directors
The fact that she hasn’t resigned, given her job, calls into question her intelligence.

Reactions: Silence Dogood
Don’t want to play lawyer with you, but, do you suppose Kara listed her position on the University of Tennessee Board of Trustees on her resume, does it ever come up in her conversations with a recruit? Her hiring as a Head Coach obviously effected her financial situation. If she is giving her opinions about monetary questions at the University of Tennessee, has she ever owned a business? Could she in any way influence others about anything which concerns the Lady Vols or their Coach?

This thread proves that many believe that a Head Coach at another university would have a conflict of interest as a UT Board Trustee, and whether that employment is specifically listed or not, it defines what the policy stated it wanted to avoid, the possible appearance of a real or perceived conflict of interest.

All members of board have jobs and earn money but taking a job that effects your financial status (pay raise lets say) is not a conflict of interest. Now, if I am board member and I approve a contract for a company to do business with the university of tennessee and I have a direct financial interest in said company, that would be a conflict of interest.

"If she is giving opinions about monetary questions at UT, has she ever owned a business." What does this have to do with anything? You are really stretching there. Your question would be a matter of qualifications not a c-o-i.

Hi player I am trying to recruit to Duke, do you know I am on the UT board of trustees???? I am sure that is a deal closer.

And this thread does not "prove" anything. It is just small sample of posters who are speculating over a misunderstanding about what constitutes a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
After watching Maria on the Buck & 2MC show last night (9/6) and hearing her discuss how other coaches made things up about Pat and the program in an effort to keep players away from committing to us and not wanting us to return to what we once were. It leads me to ask if it is a conflict of interest with Kara being on the Board of Directors until 2024? Should she have to resign from her position now that she coaches for another program?

I ask this knowing that although she is a former Lady Vol, she also has a job to do for the school she is currently employed. Not saying that it has happened with Nikki at LSU or Kyra at Kentucky, but you can't look past what they may have told players or will tell players to keep them from Tennessee and have players commit to their program. And before anyone says it I am not being critical of Kara and I know she is in the ACC and not the SEC.

Would just like to hear/read others thoughts!

UT Board Of Directors
No

All members of board have jobs and earn money but taking a job that effects your financial status (pay raise lets say) is not a conflict of interest. If I am board member and I approve a contract for a company to do business with the university of tennessee and I have a direct financial interest in said company, that would be a conflict of interest.

"If she is giving opinions about monetary questions at UT, has she ever owned a business." What does this have to do with anything? You are really stretching there. Your question would be a matter of qualifications not a c-o-i.

Hi player I am trying to recruit to Duke, do you know I am on the UT board of trustees???? I am sure that is a deal closer.

And this thread does not "prove" anything. It is just small sample of posters who are speculating over a misunderstanding about what constitutes a conflict of interest.

You can say we don’t understand the letter of the law, but the intent of the policy was to avoid the possible appearance of a real or perceived conflict of interest, and yes, Volnation is a small sampling of the whole, but our perceptions are not stupid or incorrect, they are our perceptions, and the Board of Trustees consider our perceptions important enough to write the policy, and want to avoid our perceiving a possible conflict of interest concerning any of their members, but so far, it’s just words. This is my last response to you about this, as I know you want the last word.

Last edited:
The statement of responsibilities of a board member lists over thirty areas. #29 is the only one that makes mention of athletics. The majority deal with—Surprise!—education and related economic affairs. WBB is a small subset of a subset. UT is, when all is said and done, an academic institution.

With the above as context, all the sincere and heartfelt handwringing over the very faint possibility that a selected member of the Board, selected for loyalty to her beloved institution as well as competence to further the goals of the Board just might suddenly behave traitorously…. It really suggests that some folks might just be projecting their own cynicism.

The statement of responsibilities of a board member lists over thirty areas. #29 is the only one that makes mention of athletics. The majority deal with—Surprise!—education and related economic affairs. WBB is a small subset of a subset. UT is, when all is said and done, an academic institution.

With the above as context, all the sincere and heartfelt handwringing over the very faint possibility that a selected member of the Board, selected for loyalty to her beloved institution as well as competence to further the goals of the Board just might suddenly behave traitorously…. It really suggests that some folks might just be projecting their own cynicism.

The diabolical plan:

First, take the secret blood oath to the Duke Illuminati!

Then become an AA for the LVs.

Next go on to have a great WNBA and broadcast career.

Then use those credentials to get appointed to the UT board of trustees.

Then bring down the LVs program through my oversight of supply chain contracts and academic policies!!!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Yes, but one never knows what the future holds.
True. Kara is an extremely intelligent person with integrity. Why else would she have been chosen by Pat to be a Lady Vol. I think it stung her a little to not get the HC at UT, but if we needed to call her home, she wouldn’t turn us down.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The diabolical plan:

First, take the secret blood oath to the Duke Illuminati!

Then become an AA for the LVs.

Next go on to have a great WNBA and broadcast career.

Then use those credentials to get appointed to the UT board of trustees.

Then bring down the LVs program through my oversight of supply chain contracts and academic policies!!!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!^2

Why don't we make this really simple, and think about it. Just an outside opinion, but you all know Kara. I only know her as a pain in the ass player, an excellent WBB analyst, and a student of the game. This Board is about the University of Tennessee, not Womens basketball. I think most of you feel that she has integrity, and I'm sure she is very proud to be a graduate of Tennessee. I don't know how often the Board meets, but if she is not available and can't make the meetings, then she should be replaced. As far as conflict of interest, that would be for the Board to decide. I think that if she thought it was, then she would resign.

I cannot imagine the subject was not discussed. For her to continue to hold the position speaks to the outcome. I guess I don't get why this is a subject but it has attracted some opinions/exchanges.
We as fans tend to get wrapped around the wheel on things that shouldn’t cause this type of anxiety.

Policies addressing matters such as conflicts of interest aren't aimed at specific individuals, but must be viewed as ensuring equity for all people. Simply put, an employee of another university's athletic department whose teams compete against ours has special knowledge and sayso on matters relating to our athletic programs. Nope. No possible room for a conflict of interest there - one that could work both ways.
Let's not forget too, all board members are political appointees. As we all know, politics and minor matters like possible conflicts of interest never sleep in the same bed.

Last edited:
I wonder if somewhere on the Duke women's b-ball board, if people are asking whether Kara should resign as Duke coach since she hold a seat on the UT Board of trustees.

Think about it!!! Lawson is a former LV, a CPS protege and Duke ended the LVs quest for a four-peat. Read the signs people, she is here to finish the Duke program!!!

Last edited:
I wonder of on the Duke women's b-ball board, if people are asking if Kara should resign as Duke coach since she sits on the UT Board of trustees.

Think about it!!! Lawson is a former LV, a CPS protege and Duke ended the LVs quest for a four-peat. Read the signs people, she is here to finish the Duke program!!!

I'm not paranoid,,,it's just that everyone's out to get me

VN Store

Back