Should Kara still be on the Board Of Trustees?

mlindsay

After watching Maria on the Buck & 2MC show last night (9/6) and hearing her discuss how other coaches made things up about Pat and the program in an effort to keep players away from committing to us and not wanting us to return to what we once were. It leads me to ask if it is a conflict of interest with Kara being on the Board of Directors until 2024? Should she have to resign from her position now that she coaches for another program?

I ask this knowing that although she is a former Lady Vol, she also has a job to do for the school she is currently employed. Not saying that it has happened with Nikki at LSU or Kyra at Kentucky, but you can't look past what they may have told players or will tell players to keep them from Tennessee and have players commit to their program. And before anyone says it I am not being critical of Kara and I know she is in the ACC and not the SEC.

Would just like to hear/read others thoughts!

UT Board Of Directors

Absolutely, she should resign, she is now in competition with the Lady Vols. I would think her new job as Coach at another school would consume all her time as well. She has a conflict of interests.

Apparently wrote my response while Volfan2012 wrote his. Have high respect for his opinions, but this is not about honoring a past player.

Last edited:
Kara is a good person and I know she loves Pat and her alma mater but there is a conflict of interest when she is the HC of Duke WBB so she needs to resign give that position to another former lady Vol like Nikki Caldwell who is the President of the WNBA Las Vegas franchise

I thought Kara should've stepped down when she took the Duke job. I always thought she wasn't asked to resign because The Powers That Be is hedging their bets that she might be successful at Duke and they don't want to burn that bridge if Kellie ultimately doesn't work out.

I thought Kara should've stepped down when she took the Duke job. I always thought she wasn't asked to resign because The Powers That Be is hedging their bets that she might be successful at Duke and they don't want to burn that bridge if Kellie ultimately doesn't work out.
No. Her professional loyalty is to her employer at Duke but her degree says University of Tennessee which is why she was asked to the board. You don't ask someone like Kara who is proud alum to step down because of her current job. If she approaches the idea then you honor her wishes as long as it is mutual no bridges burned. Her time is up in 2024

Last edited:
After watching Maria on the Buck & 2MC show last night (9/6) and hearing her discuss how other coaches made things up about Pat and the program in an effort to keep players away from committing to us and not wanting us to return to what we once were. It leads me to ask if it is a conflict of interest with Kara being on the Board of Directors until 2024? Should she have to resign from her position now that she coaches for another program?

I ask this knowing that although she is a former Lady Vol, she also has a job to do for the school she is currently employed. Not saying that it has happened with Nikki at LSU or Kyra at Kentucky, but you can't look past what they may have told players or will tell players to keep them from Tennessee and have players commit to their program. And before anyone says it I am not being critical of Kara and I know she is in the ACC and not the SEC.

Would just like to hear/read others thoughts!

UT Board Of Directors
Kyra and Nikki would not do that. I can’t think of one Lady Vol who would….except Westbrook who is NOT a Lady Vol.

Absolutely, she should resign, she is now in competition with the Lady Vols. I would think her new job as Coach at another school would consume all her time as well. She has a conflict of interests.

Apparently wrote my response while Volfan2012 wrote his. Have high respect for his opinions, but this is not about honoring a past player.
Well, unless you have evidence, you shouldn’t assume she would be unethical.

If she had the character everyone says she has, she would have already stepped down due to the obvious conflict of interest.

I am very disappointed in her and the lack of integrity she is showing.

I expect UT to never act in its own defense, or self-interest, but I did expect Kara to act with more honor than she has shown. This stuff is business ethics 101.

For the Kara must resign due to conflict of interest, University board of Trustees is charged with very broad institutional oversight and its governance responsibilities are far removed from the day-to-day level of recruiting or hiring decisions in a specific program.

The roles and responsibilities for board trustees of private and public colleges and universities are much the same. Colleges and universities also have governance structures much like other organizations. As it pertains to public and private schools, where matters are differentiated a bit is to whom the board of directors and others in leadership roles give their accountability. In private colleges and universities, the governing body is accountable to the shareholders and other stakeholders, particularly the students and their parents. In public colleges and universities, leadership is accountable to the state authorities and the citizens of the state.

Section 1.4 Specific Delegation of Direct Responsibility for Intercollegiate Athletics Programs.
The Board delegates direct responsibility for administration and control of the intercollegiate athletics programs to the Chancellor of each campus with an intercollegiate athletics program. The Board shall exercise oversight and monitoring of the intercollegiate athletics programs, including proposed actions reasonably anticipated to have a long-term impact on the operations, reputation, and standing of the intercollegiate athletics programs or the University. Through the President, the Board shall hold the Chancellors accountable for the appropriate execution of their responsibility for administration and control of those programs. The Chancellors shall keep the President informed of all matters necessary for the exercise of this oversight responsibility. From time to time, the Board may adopt a policy detailing its oversight and monitoring role and specific responsibilities of the Chancellors and the athletics departments.

Section 1.4(a) Athletics Advisory Boards.

Each Chancellor for a campus with an intercollegiate athletics program may appoint an Athletics Advisory Board to advise the Chancellor on administration of the program. The composition of an Athletics Advisory Board may include students, faculty, administrators, alumni, and donors but shall comply in all respects with the requirements of applicable rules of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), or other similar associations, as may be applicable.

I don't really see the conflict of interest. Do the Trustees have that much to do with athletics? Aren't they more involved with budgets and educational policies (across the state, not just at UTK)?

Anyway, I think Kara would milk her connection to Pat Summitt for all it's worth, rather than bad-mouth anything about her program.

I don’t really care honestly and honestly it’s really weird that people that have no say so in the matter, does!

The Board of Trustees policy states they are to avoid possible conflicts of interest, “real or perceived”.

Where did you find that statement? There is no mention of "perceived conflicts" in the formal guidelines, which lay out the specific forms that a conflict of interest may take (most involve using the board position for personal financial gain):
https://policy.tennessee.edu/wp-con...-Conflict-of-Interest-Policy-for-Trustees.pdf

Corrected link from original post.

Last edited:
Kara is a good person and I know she loves Pat and her alma mater but there is a conflict of interest when she is the HC of Duke WBB so she needs to resign give that position to another former lady Vol like Nikki Caldwell who is the President of the WNBA Las Vegas franchise

Very big conflict of interest and I would nominate Tamika Catchings or Nikki Caldwell to take Lawson's place on the Board.

Reactions: 1reVOLver

VN Store

Back