We are in trouble

I agree with you about the offense being too fast. I know we are trying to create an advantage, but our D and OL isn't deep enough for it. They're going to be absolutely gassed. There is a reason this type of 100mph offense has never really worked. I fear if we don't slow it down, we'll be having a coaching search in a few years.
It wasn't UT's OL that was gassed even though BGSU ran a bunch of different guys out there. UT has a legitimate 3 deep on the DL. That must have been a point of emphasis. Their key is still going to be big plays. They need to keep up the TFLs and produce some turnovers. Their objective has to be to get off the field even if the risks they take result in points for the other team sometimes.

This worked VERY well in Heupel's first two years at UCF when their D was able to get off the field.

On the Milton complaints, absolutely none of this is news. Michigan fans have been saying it. He didn't perform well at any stop including high school. All anyone sees is "potential" because of the arm and the build. You take a fan base that literally lives on hope and someone like Milton under the tutelage of Heupel seriously fuels the fire. That's all it is though. Until he proves otherwise, it is nothing but wishful thinking.

Cancel the season.

Let’s all hunker down like a bunch of pu**ies and give up after the first game of the season with a brand new coaching staff.

I swear, reading these comments makes it sound like you shouldn’t watch sports at all if you have that “woe is me” attitude.

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues
This take is trash.

Cancel the season.

Let’s all hunker down like a bunch of pu**ies and give up after the first game of the season with a brand new coaching staff.

I swear, reading these comments makes it sound like you shouldn’t watch sports at all if you have that “woe is me” attitude.
hammer-and-nail.jpg

Geez can we at least wait till Game 3 for all the doom and gloom.
This team has talent.
CJH isn't Pruitt. What had Pruitt ever coached before TN. He was a coordinator at a school with 3 string talent that was starter talent at other schools.
Let's see what happens the next couple of games

Reactions: rocytop2624
OP - what were you expecting at qb? Do transfers normally pan out? Do you think we would’ve brought in Milton if our qb situation was solid heading into this season?

You only have yourself to blame for the lofty and unsubstantiated expectations

I'm all with the majority of what was posted in the OP.

I don't, however, believe anything is Heupels fault just yet. If he hitches the wagon to Milton too long though, the jury will be out pretty quick on whether he makes it here. We may not have another QB on roster, and I get that. But if he pulls the Pruitt and remains stubborn on playing Milton, that's on him.

I had heard that Banks was a decent coach but would not pan out as a coordinator. I think it's too early to tell on that, but we should get a good idea this year where that's headed.

Also, if you expected to be National Title contenders in Year One without any mistakes involved under a brand coaching staff & system, that’s on you for having unreasonable expectations.

We have a HC that has coached up some great college QBs…one into a Heisman winner. His offenses have been some of the most explosive ones in college football. He has been accomplishing this with mid-tier athletes.

Yet one game in with better level talent…one of the best QB coaches and offensive minds in all of college football has no clue what he is doing.

People on here be like…

1630879495443.gif

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues

Maybe it does but UT has amassed more total yardage in a game a grand total of four times since 2018 and has allowed fewer yards on defense a grand total of three times in that same time span. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after his first game

VN Store

Back