Heupel will figure out the QB position

mtvols

Milton just arrived on campus in June and it was the first game. Heupel is the expert on the QB position and he will get it right. Let’s see what happens in the Pitt game.

We won by 32 and a lot of good things happened including a solid rushing performance and good performance by the Defense.

I don't know why HB isn't in there. We have a good offensive line and good backs so the running game is there but the passing game sucked. Milton can't find the open receiver. HB is a far better passer based on past high school and spring game results. And don't tell me HB couldn't make the runs Milton made. Milton looks afraid to get hit.

Last edited:
I don't know why HB is in there. We have a good offensive line and good backs so the running game is there but the passing game sucked. Milton can't find the open receiver. HB is a far better passer based on past high school and spring game results. And don't tell me HB couldn't make the runs Milton made. Milton looks afraid to get hit.
We also seen him perform better against sec defenses than Milton did against a sh football team

I don't know why HB is in there. We have a good offensive line and good backs so the running game is there but the passing game sucked. Milton can't find the open receiver. HB is a far better passer based on past high school and spring game results. And don't tell me HB couldn't make the runs Milton made. Milton looks afraid to get hit.
My god dude. HB was throwing TDs against our 4th string. Stop

No. HB couldn't make the runs Milton made... and are you seriously still basing anything on what Bailey did against HS competition?

He ran up stats in the spring game against the scout team. You may not like it but that's just the truth. Against the first team D he had a couple of series and went 4/4 for 65 yards. That's still good but his whole body of work didn't win the job.

If Milton continues to play poorly then one of the others will get a shot. Hooker will probably get the first shot. He like Bailey is a solid decision maker with a "good" arm. He adds the run element.

I want nothing more nor less than better QB play than we've had for the last 4 years. Last night wasn't it. But using it as an excuse to promote your "favorite" is cheap... I'm a Vol fan first. I want Milton or whoever else they put in to succeed. Guys hoping a starter fails so their guy gets promoted... are pathetic

I'm supporting the coach and if he thinks JM gives us the best chance fine but after the string of bozos we've had I don't consider any coach an expert until they prove it. Support yes, benefit of the doubt, no. You got to show me now.

I've seen plenty of tape on hooker,he has ups n downs but is a gamer.Im not sure how Milton,based on what we've seen beat him out.Bailey OK I can get,but between the other 2 yea no im not seeing the separation between him and Milton honestly.Change my mind but give me Hooker and the experience over what I've seen game 1 and the little Michigan tape.He did basically what all Michigan fans told us to expect.I was hoping to see some of that coached out of him.

No. HB couldn't make the runs Milton made... and are you seriously still basing anything on what Bailey did against HS competition?

He ran up stats in the spring game against the scout team. You may not like it but that's just the truth. Against the first team D he had a couple of series and went 4/4 for 65 yards. That's still good but his whole body of work didn't win the job.

If Milton continues to play poorly then one of the others will get a shot. Hooker will probably get the first shot. He like Bailey is a solid decision maker with a "good" arm. He adds the run element.

I want nothing more nor less than better QB play than we've had for the last 4 years. Last night wasn't it. But using it as an excuse to promote your "favorite" is cheap... I'm a Vol fan first. I want Milton or whoever else they put in to succeed. Guys hoping a starter fails so their guy gets promoted... are pathetic
Hb played well against the 1s as well. The runs he had last year in games weren’t jaw dropping by no stretch of imagination, but neither was miltons last night. I haven’t hitched my horse to any wagon, I wish salter would have kept his nose clean, but there is no way that the coach hasn’t hitched his wagon which is what scares me. I backed jg for longer than I should of based on coaches saying he was the best guy, you can’t blame fans for being cautious after the last staff refused to change, then this guy comes in and the qb he recruits wins the qb “battle” after not having a spring.

On the sideline Milton looks like Vince Young 2.0, but I just don't see a high ceiling for him. He came here with a lot of experience as QB at UM, and in his first game against an inferior opponent he completes 47% of his passes for 140 yards? Even with CJH as his HC, it's hard to see him improving very much over what we saw last night.
I believe Milton's first 2-3 series against Pitt will be the most important of his career. If he plays as he did tonight and UT falls behind, the coaches must look at how Hooker or Bailey perform at QB. You hate to see QB changes like that in what many consider a 'must win' game for UT, but if we lose, it shouldn't be because of a poor performance by the QB.

Hb played well against the 1s as well. The runs he had last year in games weren’t jaw dropping by no stretch of imagination, but neither was miltons last night. I haven’t hitched my horse to any wagon, I wish salter would have kept his nose clean, but there is no way that the coach hasn’t hitched his wagon which is what scares me. I backed jg for longer than I should of based on coaches saying he was the best guy, you can’t blame fans for being cautious after the last staff refused to change, then this guy comes in and the qb he recruits wins the qb “battle” after not having a spring.
Would have loved to see Salter get a chance....sorely disappointed in him flushing that opportunity away

Milton just arrived on campus in June and it was the first game. Heupel is the expert on the QB position and he will get it right. Let’s see what happens in the Pitt game.

We won by 32 and a lot of good things happened including a solid rushing performance and good performance by the Defense.

That's why you have practice. In the meantime, you don't risk giving away wins getting someone up to speed.

Saying Bailey couldn't have made the runs Milton did last night proves beyond a doubt you are anything but objective as you pretend to be. As another poster on here noted, half the old men on this board could've made the runs Milton made last night. He was avoiding contact like he was a hundred pounds lighter and eight inches shorter than he is. He had the one stiff-arm for a TD - and any college QB in the country could've made that play. It's not like he stiff-armed the top tackler for Bama, or even like it was one of the D-linemen for Bowling Green.

Also, to say his body of work didn't win the job is flat-out dishonest. In the past you have made a lot of very reasoned, intelligent posts on here, so we know you can do better than that. That's just intellectually lazy and dishonest and you know it. It's one thing for rabble-rousers on here who don't know the first thing about the sport to be making that argument; you should know better.

Hb played well against the 1s as well.
Yes. And he was third behind Maurer at that point which is why he got less than half the reps with the ones that Hooker got. I'm not against HB. I'm for him. If the job eventually falls to him then I hope he really is the reincarnation of Peyton Past. But he has flaws and limitations. I think his "good" not great arm strength and lack of mobility would on the whole limit the O.

The runs he had last year in games weren’t jaw dropping by no stretch of imagination, but neither was miltons last night.
Don't even try it. HB can't give you even what the Vols got from Milton last night. After watching his video from Michigan, I told people that he would be good in designed runs but doesn't match the "ideal" of a mobile QB. He doesn't have a quick first step. If that's what you want then Hooker is the only one of the 3 that gives you something similar to Dobbs when he takes off on pass plays.

I haven’t hitched my horse to any wagon, I wish salter would have kept his nose clean,
Salter didn't have the arm to be the answer for a year or two. He needed time to work on his passing ability and learn the system.

but there is no way that the coach hasn’t hitched his wagon which is what scares me.
Think that through. How well would it work if Heupel had named any of them the starter then gave signals that they didn't have his confidence? That's exactly what Jones did with Dormady. He won the job outright and then had his coach continue the "competition" until he had an excuse to name his "pick" the starter. It was disastrous for Dormady, JG, and the team.

I backed jg for longer than I should of based on coaches saying he was the best guy,
I didn't. Dormady won the job and while he would have never been confused with Joe Montana... HE won the job. Jones wouldn't rest until JG was the starter and then JG somehow got endless "patience" from not one but two coaches. Both of those guys made excuses for JG and refused to see that he just wasn't doing the things that a QB must do for the team to win.

Heupel COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Jones or Pruitt was honest about Milton's performance. He didn't run him down or say anything that would make him doubt that he had support. He also knows that Heupel trusts the other two... that along with some honest criticism about missing throws and opportunities is NOTHING like what we or the players got from the last two coaches.

you can’t blame fans for being cautious after the last staff refused to change, then this guy comes in and the qb he recruits wins the qb “battle” after not having a spring.
Sure you can. Two different coaches. Two COMPLETELY different responses to subpar QB play. Heupel even made it pretty clear that they have to show it in games and not just practice.

That had absolutely NOTHING to do with Milton winning the competition. He did the right things. He is VASTLY superior to the other two from a purely physical standpoint. It isn't close. Heupel had to balance physical ability with where he thought Milton was mentally. He made what he believed to be the best choice to win games and for the future of the program. It is worse than silly to believe it had anything to do with him recruiting, and failing to sign, Milton.

If I were Bailey I would have already checked out and transferred. Why waste anymore time when He could spend the season with another team learning their system?
because he can't join another team until next year. He's better off getting reps and coaching with UT and waiting on his possible chance to play for the job than quitting. What Maurer did was stupid. HB would likewise be stupid to do the same thing.

VN Store

Back