2023 Recruiting

Who knows. Our staff holds info close. We get a lot of our info from tweets (some cryptic, some not) and tea leaves lol

That is one of the things that makes it harder for us to recruit and is a mistake.

It is all about creating buzz, and the perception that you are a hot team. You can't do that if your name never comes up in public discussions as being associated with a lot of the best players. You want kids hearing about TN everywhere they turn.

Recruiting is marketing. You don't market in secret.

That is one of the things that makes it harder for us to recruit and is a mistake.

It is all about creating buzz, and the perception that you are a hot team. You can't do that if your name never comes up in public discussions as being associated with a lot of the best players. You want kids hearing about TN everywhere they turn.

You may be right. I don’t know because I’ve never recruited for a D1 team however I’m sure there is no shortage of “fans” who would love to latch onto a recruit for their own benefit. Seems like everyone is holding recruiting info close to reduce meddling, interference and sabotage.

Last edited:

coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits until the recruit signs their NLI. Recruits can announce anything about LOI, Visits, Signings. But no coach can comment on a recruit. Dawn does kind of stretch the rules with her "little birdie tweeted today" stuff

But don't you think it depends on who's doing the marketing? I have noticed some of the crazy fans start to stalk these kids on their social media and won't go away even when asked to leave or give unsolicited advice and that is not cool at all. Maybe the coaches are trying to protect some of these high school players (most haven't turned 18 yet) from some of the crazy fans out there who think they have a right to these 15, 16, 17-year-old girls who happen to play basketball and their social media pages just because they hold an offer to play basketball.

I can see the "marketing" angle in that Tennessee wants to once again be listed among the elite. And to see a highly-coveted recruit publicly mentioning us as a program being considered is helpful through association with the best.

Where we want to be is that level in which the recruit feels honored to be considered by us rather than our looking like the person desperate for a prom date. And we should remember that some of these "top choice" lists include big names just for bragging rights. Most players probably already have their wish list narrowd down even when they're posting eight or nine schools. All those logos posted really stroke the egos of young players. It's nice to be the prom queen (so they tell me).

Reactions: Rickster
I can see the "marketing" angle in that Tennessee wants to once again be listed among the elite. And to see a highly-coveted recruit publicly mentioning us as a program being considered is helpful through association with the best.

Where we want to be is that level in which the recruit feels honored to be considered by us rather than our looking like the person desperate for a prom date. And we should remember that some of these "top choice" lists include big names just for bragging rights. Most players probably already have their wish list narrowd down even when they're posting eight or nine schools. All those logos posted really stroke the egos of young players. It's nice to be the prom queen (so they tell me).

I think even the top recruits are honored to get an offer from Tennessee. Not as honored as in Pat's days, and not as honored as a few other schools, but still honored. The best marketing is to win, baby.

As far as marketing goes I don't see any Twitter from something like LVWBB or UTWBB. Other schools have an official position that builds buzz on twitter and IG. To compare take a look at @UConnWBB on twitter and see how many official posts and videos are there. There is a FB page but it is really flat with little hype (besides the only people of FB are oldies like me)

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back