Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like these Black Uniforms we will use this year are pushing us more in that direction and I am all for it
I love it. I had an old baseball hat that I bought around 98 at the UT bookstore that was black with an orange power T, a black polar fleece coat with orange power T and a long sleeved charcoal gray adidas shirt and they all looked really good. That old shirt I had was one of the reasons I was so disappointed when our grays came out -- I'd seen Adidas do our colors in charcoal as well as black before and it looked way better than the gray we got stuck with which might as well be called shoe maker gray since all the apparel companies handed them out to everyone they could.

He played like a man that game. We were all so excited. Same game two years the later the wheels fell off the bus. We got lucky that Dobbs and Jennings pulled a miracle but Butch lost Hurd that game.

If Hurd finishes that run into the endzone hard instead of trotting in, he probably doesn’t get blasted and end up with a concussion.

I believe this IS the year and our time is near. May all of those that made jokes and memes of UT over the years, payback's a bitch !

Reactions: ugg
My top 5 UT RBs

1. James Stewart - he was the man when I first got into UT football, first autograph too. All time rushing TDs leader as well and 3rd all time in career rushing yards. In classic Fulmer fashion never got to be the featured guy too. 4 year career and spent it splitting carries with Charlie Garner & Aaron Hayden.

2. Travis Henry - only 3k rusher in UT history, National championship, 5.5 ypc #nuffsaid

3. Charlie Garner - only played 2 seasons went over 2k yards while splitting time with Stewart and 6.7 ypc

4. Cedric Houston - probably one most people will argue, but I don't care. Had to split carries with Riggs cause of his name, never got 200 carries in a season and went over 700 yards in 3 of his 4 years here. 7th all-time as well

5. Arian Foster/Jamal Lewis/Jay Graham - can't pick one they all 3 feel similar to me I think Jamal is the clear better RB when you take into account what they did in the NFL and man do I wish he hadn't got injured and left a year early. Jay was the next man up after Stewart/Hayden/Garner left and he had a huge Junior year

My top 5 UT RBs

1. James Stewart - he was the man when I first got into UT football, first autograph too. All time rushing TDs leader as well and 3rd all time in career rushing yards. In classic Fulmer fashion never got to be the featured guy too. 4 year career and spent it splitting carries with Charlie Garner & Aaron Hayden.

2. Travis Henry - only 3k rusher in UT history, National championship, 5.5 ypc #nuffsaid

3. Charlie Garner - only played 2 seasons went over 2k yards while splitting time with Stewart and 6.7 ypc

4. Cedric Houston - probably one most people will argue, but I don't care. Had to split carries with Riggs cause of his name, never got 200 carries in a season and went over 700 yards in 3 of his 4 years here. 7th all-time as well

5. Arian Foster/Jamal Lewis/Jay Graham - can't pick one they all 3 feel similar to me I think Jamal is the clear better RB when you take into account what they did in the NFL and man do I wish he hadn't got injured and left a year early. Jay was the next man up after Stewart/Hayden/Garner left and he had a huge Junior year
Any list without Chuck Webb and Reggie Cobb doesn’t get taken seriously by me. Would easily drop Houston, Foster and Graham to accommodate…which may leave room for Johnny Jones or Travis Stephens.

My top 5 UT RBs

Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb say hello.

My top 5 UT RBs

No Travis Stephens?

Honestly...most of the Fulmer era we seemed to be a RBBC team. It's one reason why I think Hurd ended up so close to the record. He was the featured guy for 2.5 years 190 carries then 277 carries and 122 carries through 7 games in his last year here. Despite averaging less than 5 ypc. Had he put in the effort of any of the other greats here he may have went over 4k for his career.

He finished 2nd in all-time carries while playing in only 33 games and his 277 as a sophomore is 3rd all-time for a single season. And despite that and being as big as he was he only had 20 rushing TDs while here.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Any list without Chuck Webb and Reggie Cobb doesn’t get taken seriously by me. Would easily drop Houston, Foster and Graham to accommodate…which may leave room for Johnny Jones or Travis Stephens.

I just can't put people on my list I never saw play live, also both only had 1 good season while here and neither went over 1300 yards. For me I look at how many carries it takes for them to get where they get, one reason Stephens and Hurd were both left off my list.

I look at Houston's career and the fact he did what he did with his highest carry count being 181.

Uh , then again maybe it was because he was within a few hundred yards of the all time UT rushing record?
Everything I'm saying is why that's not the most important thing to who is the best - productivity and efficiency are - not just volume. Does anyone really think Arian Foster is the best RB to ever play at UT? He leads total yards for all backs...by 350 yards. C'mon.

And the argument if he had just kept playing here...then yeah he'd break the record. So...is that a smart/good thing - pushing a 3.7 ypc guy for more rushes? Would have been a terrible choice. Volume isn't a good metric when the guy is not that great play to play. Same as volume shooters. Y'want Carmelo Anthony on your team throwing up 30 shots a game at a 37% clip? Of course not. Sure he'll put up some points, but that's not what leads to wins - it's being the best/most efficient/productive per play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back