What Was Your First Job?

Mowed a few lawns while in high school.

My first actual job would be Food City as a courtesy clerk (bagger and buggy pusher) at the age of 18. Worked for the same guy my dad worked for back in the 80s.

Pay - I believe $7.50
Funny story - Well, sort of…I had a bad case of diarrhea and was able to leave early. Thankfully it was a Sunday and it was slow.
Life Lesson - Learned the value of a dollar.

Reactions: MAD

My first actual job would be Food City as a courtesy clerk (bagger and buggy pusher) at the age of 18. Worked for the same guy my dad worked for back in the 80s.

Pay - I believe $7.50
Funny story - Well, sort of…I had a bad case of diarrhea and was able to leave early. Thankfully it was a Sunday and it was slow.
Life lesson - Learned the value of a dollar.
FC was my second job. I was the "closing" bagger. They had me mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, changing trash cans -all the Charlie work in other words - working me like a damn dog my entire shift while the cashiers got to stand there and read magazines while we were slow. Didn't work there long.

Started cutting neighbors grass when I was 10. Typically $1 in 1962
3 paper routes. Knox Journal (5:30 a.m. 6 days/week) when I was 10. Knox Sentinel afternoon except Sunday when I was 11. Finally the Oak Ridger (M thru Friday) When I was twelve. That was wonderful.
Worked in a car wash on weekends at 15.
A&P grocery at 16. Jackson Square pharmacy, OR at 16 through high school.
Worked in the campus post office through college except for a summer with the Jolly Green Giant company near Rockford, Illinois right before I graduated in December.
Adult jobs ? Just say I've always gotten bored easily.
I looked it up $1 in 1962 equals $9 today.
Hard to believe that A&P was the largest retailer in the country and now doesn’t exist anymore.

Reactions: Go aeiou

Pay - I believe $7.50
Life Lesson - Learned the value of a dollar.
Did you get tips at Food City?

FC was my second job. I was the "closing" bagger. They had me mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, changing trash cans -all the Charlie work in other words - working me like a damn dog my entire shift while the cashiers got to stand there and read magazines while we were slow. Didn't work there long.
I don’t envy anyone who cleaned bathrooms.

How old were you?
First under the table paid job I had I think I was 13. Was a batboy for a few summers with a local minor league baseball team. First paid real job I worked through a temp agency and served large events. I turned 16 on a Tuesday and went to work that Saturday. Evantually got hired on, stayed with the company for awhile, but lost my job in 2020 due to yall know what.
How did you get it?
The bat boy job, my dad knew the guy that worked in the clubhouse, so we talked to him. The other job, the lady that did the scheduling for the temp service took care of me when I was in daycare, so I just called her up one day.
How much did you make?
The batboy job at first I got paid $10 a day and we had to be there at 1 in case it rained and usually didnt leave until sometime around 11. My last year I got paid min wage, but didnt have to be there until an hour before game time. The other job I made $7.50
Was it a good or bad experience?
The first job was cool, but im pretty I got screwed over a few times on getting paid, and didnt really know any better. The second job a little bit of both, I loved it for awhile, but as I moved up with the company I grew to hate it.
What life lessons did you get out of it?
In the corporate world make time and take care of yourself, it doesnt matter how good you are theyll just chew you up and spit you out when theyre done with you. Also since the jobs are kind of related ill throw this in here, be careful of who youre friends are, as you move up theyll be some of your worst enemies in the end.

How old were you?
First under the table paid job I had I think I was 13. Was a batboy for a few summers with a local minor league baseball team. First paid real job I worked through a temp agency and served large events. I turned 16 on a Tuesday and went to work that Saturday. Evantually got hired on, stayed with the company for awhile, but lost my job in 2020 due to yall know what.
How did you get it?
The bat boy job, my dad knew the guy that worked in the clubhouse, so we talked to him. The other job, the lady that did the scheduling for the temp service took care of me when I was in daycare, so I just called her up one day.
How much did you make?
The batboy job at first I got paid $10 a day and we had to be there at 1 in case it rained and usually didnt leave until sometime around 11. My last year I got paid min wage, but didnt have to be there until an hour before game time. The other job I made $7.50
The first job was cool, but im pretty I got screwed over a few times on getting paid, and didnt really know any better. The second job a little bit of both, I loved it for awhile, but as I moved up with the company I grew to hate it.
In the corporate world make time and take care of yourself, it doesnt matter how good you are theyll just chew you up and spit you out when theyre done with you. Also since the jobs are kind of related ill throw this in here, be careful of who youre friends are, as you move up theyll be some of your worst enemies in the end.
Love those life lessons. Especially making time and taking care of yourself.

I firmly believe that everyone should have to clean bathrooms at a younger age. It's great motivation to pursue a more rewarding career/life.

And yes, the women's was always the worst.
We have a cleaning lady at work, and I've felt bad for her because of the men's restroom many times. I told her one morning how I hated that grown men made such a mess that she had to clean. She told me it was nothing compared to the ladies room, I was shocked.

We have a cleaning lady at work, and I've felt bad for her because of the men's restroom many times. I told her one morning how I hated that grown men made such a mess that she had to clean. She told me it was nothing compared to the ladies room, I was shocked.
Guys will get wee on the floor. The ladies room has all manner of horrors. I won't go into detail on here, but it's gross. I cleaned retail bathrooms in my college job. We had an arrangement where the cashiers did the mens room and we did the ladies room. The cashiers complained and wanted to switch, thinking the mens room was worse. We were glad to trade. They were really mad when we refused to change back after the first week lol.

Guys will get wee on the floor. The ladies room has all manner of horrors. I won't go into detail on here, but it's gross. I cleaned retail bathrooms in my college job. We had an arrangement where the cashiers did the mens room and we did the ladies room. The cashiers complained and wanted to switch, thinking the mens room was worse. We were glad to trade. They were really mad when we refused to change back after the first week lol.
Are women like monkeys throwing their stuff or something?

Are women like monkeys throwing their stuff or something?
LOL no. I'll try not to be to gross here.

Let me preface this by saying women are awesome and I don't think any on Volnation would ever do these things.

200.gif

Most of it was the fact that, back then, the only baby changing station was in the women's room, or that the lady in question was "hovering" over the toilet seat. There were a couple of other incidents involving the ceiling (still not sure of the logistics on those), and another with a backed up toilet (happens in both restrooms) and a female specific item displayed in a "prominent" way.

I was a brick mason laborer in middle school during the summers and other breaks.. $10/hr.. rough job
I was assigned to work as a brick mason’s gofer for a couple of days while employed by a tract builder. Hard duty. Then, minimum wage was $1.35/hr. I made twice that.

The worst duty was applying hot tar to the exterior of foundations below grade. $2.70/hr didn’t seem enough for that job.

Small family "drug store", where I cleaned the floors, helped as a "soda jerk" behind the counter, odd jobs etc. all for $3 per day (6-7 hours). Not much money required in those days, & my employers offered to pay my way through college & pharmacy school if I would return to work for them a few years after graduation. I decided to become a school teacher, of course.:rolleyes:

Reactions: tbh and MAD
Got a job basically groundskeeping for a family out in Red Bank, TN. I was making 11 bucks an hour. I had no idea what good or bad money was, but being the dumbass 18 year old I was I left when they had me cleaning the horse stalls. Would be another 7-8 years before I made that much a week again, haha. That was a sweet gig. I think I lasted two or three weeks. If I could go back in time I'd slap myself for even thinking about leaving that job. Then I'd tell myself to not go to college for the next few years, haha.

EDIT: And that was for 4 hours a day, if that. I was living the dream and I had no clue...

Small family "drug store", where I cleaned the floors, helped as a "soda jerk" behind the counter, odd jobs etc. all for $3 per day (6-7 hours). Not much money required in those days, & my employers offered to pay my way through college & pharmacy school if I would return to work for them a few years after graduation. I decided to become a school teacher, of course.:rolleyes:
Is it true that the soda jerk could get any girl?
6FB7E0C7-118F-4071-8E3E-0CFFD03E92FA.jpeg

Got a job basically groundskeeping for a family out in Red Bank, TN. I was making 11 bucks an hour. I had no idea what good or bad money was, but being the dumbass 18 year old I was I left when they had me cleaning the horse stalls. Would be another 7-8 years before I made that much a week again, haha. That was a sweet gig. I think I lasted two or three weeks. If I could go back in time I'd slap myself for even thinking about leaving that job. Then I'd tell myself to not go to college for the next few years, haha.

EDIT: And that was for 4 hours a day, if that. I was living the dream and I had no clue...
They must have been loaded

Reactions: feathersax
I used to build houses as an adult.
Masons helper might be the toughest job. Non stop work. Heavy stuff too. Brick, block, mortar. Mix 80 bags , etc
I gotta think that job and all the shovels full of mud and all the brick tongs full of brick I had to throw up above my head in the summer heat built some character

What was your first job?

—————————————
Some question ideas below
—————————————

How old were you?
How did you get it?
How much did you make?
Any funny stories?

Construction
Through my dad
Great experience
Never make excuses, you earn what you get, and there are no days off.

- the lunch truck although usually unappealing is some of the best food you can eat -

Reactions: MAD and Go aeiou

VN Store

Back