Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devil's advocate here. What if stepping aside is best for your team. Like a hurt quarterback taking himself out so his team has a better chance to win?
If that was really the case then that is admirable but that’s not the case here. She wasn’t injured and if you are supposed to be the greatest gymnast ever then even a fraction of her best would’ve been enough to win gold.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Ya, she broke it seems. Tough to be a phenom superstar so young, no kid is made to deal with that level of celebrity. I've got mixed feelings on her quitting though. Not passing judgment on her either way, but it doesn't feel quite perfectly right to quit mid competition because your head just isn't in the game. Probably just my dad ringing in my ears that once you sign up for something you finish it, even if you're sucking and/or miserable and/or embarrassed.
Agree. She did quit on her team. Again, I've never dealt with anything comparable but you've got to be tougher.

JT Mapu and Jesse Mahalona approve.
Cool story bro moment....I was on a flight into Salt Lake City back in the day and an entire Hawaiian high school football team was on the plane heading to play a game. I had a UT polo on and one of them asked if I was a coach. Got to conversing with several of them. They loved them some Mapu and Mahalona. I told them to send us all the Hawaiians. We loved them in Ktown.

I think the hate for Simone on here tonight is pathetic. She is a lovely young lady who has represented the USA fantastically, put herself in the conversation for the greatest ever, has a move named after her that nobody else has ever been able to do and has done it all while being a victim of abuse.

Nobody knows what caused her to quit the team competition but judging her on her worst moment isn't fair. Mary Lou Retton couldn't come close to doing what she does and people are saying "she's no Mary Lou". Wow. Show some compassion for an all time great athlete who probably just went through one of the toughest moments of her life.

I’d normally feel that way, but if what they said is true about underscoring her for parity, i would imagine that would be pretty devastating after all those years of work and incredibly discouraging from a competitive standpoint. I think the underscoring thing is a total shame, and I think there should be a whole lot more outrage about it.
I don't think they were underscoring her at all. She hasn't been mentally in it for some time.

I think the hate for Simone on here tonight is pathetic. She is a lovely young lady who has represented the USA fantastically, put herself in the conversation for the greatest ever, has a move named after her that nobody else has ever been able to do and has done it all while being a victim of abuse.

Nobody knows what caused her to quit the team competition but judging her on her worst moment isn't fair. Mary Lou Retton couldn't come close to doing what she does and people are saying "she's no Mary Lou". Wow. Show some compassion for an all time great athlete who probably just went through one of the toughest moments of her life.
Everyone knows what caused her to quit. She got shook and didn’t have what it took to overcome it.

My understanding is her vault was so bad it put them in a major point deficit behind russia. And even with her peak they couldn't have made it up. So stepping aside gave them a chance when she was in her mental funk.

I just read one article so someone feel free to correct my facts if wrong.
From an outside perspective, that sounds like she was so embarrassed by a bad routine that she quit

My understanding is her vault was so bad it put them in a major point deficit behind russia. And even with her peak they couldn't have made it up. So stepping aside gave them a chance when she was in her mental funk.

That doesn’t make any sense. That’s like saying MJ missed every shot in the first quarter so he’s just going to not play the last three quarters of game 7 of the Finals.

Everyone knows what caused her to quit. She got shook and didn’t have what it took to overcome it.

And if that is the reason? Does that negate her career and greatness?

I'm disappointed she didn't kick ass but I have nothing but respect and compassion for her. But I forgot today's young people are the only generation who have ever made a decision to quit....man, that Roberto Duran guy must have been an epic vagine considering everyone pre-millenial other than him never quit anything, ever.

They were only one point down after the vault. They actually gained 0.2 in the next two rotations and fell apart in the floor exercise. Also, two girls had to fill in when they were the fourth best on the team in that particular event. They stepped up pretty good, so kudos to them.

That doesn’t make any sense. That’s like saying MJ missed every shot in the first quarter so he’s just going to not play the last three quarters of game 7 of the Finals.
Not really the same because of the possible outcomes. Difference is that's a win or loss situation. Two outcomes. Hers was not. Her playing could have drug team down to getting no medal. Instead they got silver without her.

Reactions: Devo182

I'm disappointed she didn't kick ass but I have nothing but respect and compassion for her. But I forgot today's young people are the only generation who have ever made a decision to quit....man, that Roberto Duran guy must have been an epic vagine considering everyone pre-millenial other than him never quit anything, ever.
I think she's still the GOAT. Just disappointed she did not fight through it. There might be other stuff going on, who knows? I think the coaches had no idea and were floored by it.

It does negate her career and greatness. If you want to call yourself the goat and even embroider it on your uniform then you have to be able to handle the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back