Where I believe this is all heading.

LMAO I just saw a post where someone broke down the SEC into 4 geographical divisions, north, south, east and west.
The SEC east was Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky and vandy. I would REALLY like that to happen!😎
The SEC south was bama, Florida, Georgia and Auburn. The west was A&M, LSU, Texas and Oklahoma. Those 2 divisions would be brutal!
Fingers crossed that the powers that be like the geographical alignment idea.😁
GBO!!
replace south carolina with mizzou but where is arkansas?

Last edited:
I believe there will be four super conferences or for now what I referred to as the major leagues. This is where most of the paid athletes will perform. The remainder of the schools will be what I referred to as the minor leagues and will concentrate more on the student athlete as an amateur not a professional. The minor-league May not pay athletes to perform at all and simply offer educational incentives as payment.

Reactions: DonDiego
I believe there will be 4, 16 school superconferences.

Those schools will break away from the NCAA. They will have new contracts for various things that include a negotiated cut for athletes.

Don't know how long it will take to reach this end game, but that's what I think is the kind of thing that ultimately happens.

I think there will be 8 power conferences!

Those schools will break away from the NCAA. They will have new contracts for various things that include a negotiated cut for athletes.

Don't know how long it will take to reach this end game, but that's what I think is the kind of thing that ultimately happens.

I think there will be 8 and it will benefit everyone. Here is why, who and how I think it should shake out…

If Oklahoma and Texas go to SEC, that is a good thing for the PAC, because only so many SEC teams are getting into the playoffs. That said, the PAC 12 would be doing themselves a favor if they matched the SEC in size by taking on Iowa St., Oklahoma St., Baylor and Texas Tech and slid CO and Utah, AZ and AZ st over to make up an Eastern division of the PAC. All of those BIG 12 teams have had their shining moments over the past couple of decades and should make runs. Meanwhile Kansas and Kansas St slide up to Big 10 to make up the BiG 16 conference and WV goes where they belong in the ACC and completes their 16 teams. USA, American, Big East, MAC and Mountain West can figure it out too to reduce those numbers down to 4 conferences. It is the only way they can ensure their team has a chance to make the national stage, because then everything would be as follows. I think there needs to be a 16 team playoff and have for sometime. Seems to be the sweet spot for concurrence. That said the top 3 from the big 4 get in (12 teams), and then the top team from the other 4 get in (4+12=16). This realignment includes every conference, some similar controversy to BCS picking the top 4 teams, but is fair to the bigs altogether, meanwhile the other conferences have a representative. I think there should be enough bowls for most if not all teams to play post season.

I think another thing this realignment would accomplish is Blue Chip players staying in smaller schools because they know they can have a chance to play on the big stage without dealing with all of the big school hassle. It will take time to get there, but this will even out things over time and give ALL schools, players and coaches the opportunity to display their skills. I think things get more exciting, and of course the bigger schools will still make more money due to sheer volume of fans, etc… and I think all of college football prospers because you will get more fans into things because their teams have an actual chance to play on the big stage.

Last edited:
I think there will be 8 and it will benefit everyone. Here is why, who and how I think it should shake out…

If Oklahoma and Texas go to SEC, that is a good thing for the PAC, because only so many SEC teams are getting in. That said, the PAC 12 would be doing themselves a favor if they matched the SEC in size by taking on Iowa St., Oklahoma St., Baylor and Texas Tech and slid CO and Utah, AZ and AZ st over to make up a western division of the PAC. All of those BIG 12 teams have had their shining moments over the past couple of decades and should make runs. Meanwhile Kansas and Kansas St slide up to Big 10 to make up the BiG 16 conference and WV goes where they belong in the ACC and completes their 16 teams. USA, American, Big East, MAC and Mountain West can figure it out too to reduce those numbers down to 4 conferences. It is the only way they can ensure their team has a chance to make the national stage, because then everything would be as follows. I think there needs to be a 16 team playoff and have for sometime. Seems to be the sweet spot for concurrence. That said the top 3 from the big 4 get in (12 teams), and then the top team from the other 4 get in (4+12=16). This realignment includes every conference, some similar controversy to BCS picking the top 4 teams, but is fair to the bigs altogether, meanwhile the other conferences have a representative. I think there should be enough bowls for most if not all teams to play post season.

I think another thing this realignment would accomplish is Blue Chip players staying in smaller schools because they know they can have a chance to play on the big stage without dealing with all of the big school hassle. It will take time to get there, but this will even out things over time and give ALL schools, players and coaches the opportunity to display their skills. I think things get more exciting, and of course the bigger schools will still make more money due to sheer volume of fans, etc… and I think all of college football prospers because you will get more fans into things because their teams have an actual chance to play on the big stage.

IMO......

There will be the 4 leagues and then the rest of the D1 programs will be left to die.....which they will.

The other issue, and why this is sending serious shockwaves, is that there isn't anyone out there outside of Notre Dame that is going to increase the value of the league.

Sure, the Pac 12 could add Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Baylor (just for sake of discussion), but that doesn't bring any additional money to the Pac 12. In addition, they'd actually lose money because there would be more schools feeding from the same pile.

The Big 10 is doing just fine, but I think they figured out that Rutgers and Maryland really did nothing because they didn't build the brand. The TV market thing sounds great, but Oklahoma is going to draw more interest for television than Rutgers and Maryland combined even though Rutgers and Maryland have the New York and DC markets. The TV market thing is a big deal at the professional level, not at the collegiate level. There are years where the Alabama-Auburn game has been the highest rated of the year and no one lives in Alabama. Duke-NC is often the highest rated basketball game of the year and the schools are 10 feet apart in North Carolina. The school's "brand" is a much bigger deal than TV market.

So, all these other leagues can add to get to 16 or whatever number they want. What they can't do is add anyone (outside of Notre Dame) who's brand makes the league more money.

They're basically screwed unless they can pull teams with a brand away from their current league (i.e. the Big 10 convinces North Carolina to leave the ACC). Just using that as an example, not that I expect that to happen.

Reactions: TN Jed
WIth this influx of cash coming into players hands, how long will it take the unions to come knocking on the door to give their support for their future representation?
It will 100% happen, especially since college players are only around for a short period of time. They will need an organization to represent them

I agree. The PAC12, ACC, and Big 10 all have to see this is what is happening and grab the rest of the Big 12 schools, or else Greg "Jeff Bezos" Sankey is going to continue to expand until he dominates the football world. Who knows, he may be looking to scoop up the NFL AFC South next.

I do think the other conferences will go to 16 teams and scoop up some of the Big XII conferences. However I don't think all the Big XII schools get picked up. Not trying to bash them but what exactly would Texas Tech bring to a conference? Nothing. At least Kansas would be a nice choice if a conference wanted to add some stock to their basketball. If I am in charge of the ACC and wanting to get to 16 teams I am certainly reaching out to West Virginia. In fact I am reaching out to them as soon as the news breaks that Oklahoma and Texas want to go to the SEC. Because I need two more teams and West Virginia would almost certainly join. However I am looking at Cincinnati or Memphis before I am looking at any other Big XII schools. With the PAC-12 I could see them having a lot more interest in Boise State and/or BYU than some Big XII schools.

It's not going to stop at 4. It's going to be 2 or 3. The only thing that holds it at 3 is if Notre Dame decides to go all in with the ACC. This may take 10 years to unfold, but that's where I see it headed. The money gap between the SEC and Big 10 vs everyone else is just too big. And there's no legit move the Pac can do to get a TV deal anywhere near $60 million a year per team. Taking 8 leftovers doesn't solve that.

10 years ago Texas thought they were too good to be lumped in with us lowly hicks in SEC land. Now they're crawling. Crawling. Texas. Think USC flying to Columbus, OH for a Conference game is crazy? Wait till B10 teams are making $30 million per team a year more in TV revenue.

Reactions: onevol74
IMO......

There will be the 4 leagues and then the rest of the D1 programs will be left to die.....which they will.

The other issue, and why this is sending serious shockwaves, is that there isn't anyone out there outside of Notre Dame that is going to increase the value of the league.

Sure, the Pac 12 could add Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Baylor (just for sake of discussion), but that doesn't bring any additional money to the Pac 12. In addition, they'd actually lose money because there would be more schools feeding from the same pile.

The Big 10 is doing just fine, but I think they figured out that Rutgers and Maryland really did nothing because they didn't build the brand. The TV market thing sounds great, but Oklahoma is going to draw more interest for television than Rutgers and Maryland combined even though Rutgers and Maryland have the New York and DC markets. The TV market thing is a big deal at the professional level, not at the collegiate level. There are years where the Alabama-Auburn game has been the highest rated of the year and no one lives in Alabama. Duke-NC is often the highest rated basketball game of the year and the schools are 10 feet apart in North Carolina. The school's "brand" is a much bigger deal than TV market.

So, all these other leagues can add to get to 16 or whatever number they want. What they can't do is add anyone (outside of Notre Dame) who's brand makes the league more money.

They're basically screwed unless they can pull teams with a brand away from their current league (i.e. the Big 10 convinces North Carolina to leave the ACC). Just using that as an example, not that I expect that to happen.

I don’t think they are going to squeeze out the smaller schools. They will lose a ton of support by doing that.

I will give up on College sports altogether if that happens and just watch my Titans.

If it results in targeting going away? I'm for it.

Reading all these posts makes me sad. College football as well knew it is dead. Players will no longer be playing for the love of the game. It is basically like a minor league now. I just hope the bands/traditions/pageantry/etc are enough to keep my love for the sport alive.
Do pro sports have bands? No. They aren’t cost effective. Unless there are private donations or some other funding outside of the athletics department then they are going to be scrapped.

I don’t think they are going to squeeze out the smaller schools. They will lose a ton of support by doing that.

I will give up on College sports altogether if that happens and just watch my Titans.

Tennessee will have no interest in sharing the pool of money they generate with the University of Toledo.

IMO, those 4 power conferences will form their own thing and since there are 64 (or whatever the number is) schools dividing the pot and not 120, they're going to make a hell of a lot more money.

Sounds like schools that don't make the 64 - 80 team cut become the true amatuer college athletes like we all grew up loving and the ones that make up these super conferences are nothing more than NFL farm teams, sponsored and paid for by major university donors. Maybe I'll start pulling for Furman and The Citadel.

Sounds like schools that don't make the 64 - 80 team cut become the true amatuer college athletes like we all grew up loving and the ones that make up these super conferences are nothing more than NFL farm teams, sponsored and paid for by major university donors. Maybe I'll start pulling for Furman and The Citadel.
I’ve always had a soft spot for Carson Newman.
GBO!!

Reactions: DonDiego
Tennessee will have no interest in sharing the pool of money they generate with the University of Toledo.

IMO, those 4 power conferences will form their own thing and since there are 64 (or whatever the number is) schools dividing the pot and not 120, they're going to make a hell of a lot more money.

The last thing these conferences need to do is get greedy when they have it so good. Tennessee is making millions the way it is right now and we suck. It is incredibly shortsighted, entitled leadership that got Tennessee into the losing situation in the first place and the situation as it is that has kept us alive at all. I see the other institutions being smarter and Tennessee doesn’t have much to say about anything anymore. We are an afterthought.

Regardless, there is money and power in business, academia and politics throughout the collectiveness of many of these schools and there is emphasis on education within the larger schools. The smaller schools have been trying to figure out how to crack the nut of competing on a national stage for sometime and a few have managed to get into the conversation. The last thing anyone wants to do is piss them ALL off and unite them and those who frankly could give a damn about sports.

If the larger conferences pull this stunt, there will be hell to pay. Interest in college sports will plummet across the board if they completely leave out the smaller schools; I can almost promise you lots of organizations and wealthy people—both grads from these big schools and from the smaller schools—will completely boycott these schools and take their interests, efforts and donations to the smaller schools and all you will have left are gutted universities with decent football programs that will fall apart soon after.

All this when a perfectly good solution is out there which is:

4 power conferences of 16 teams and 4 others of about the same if not more. The top 3 of the power 4 get in and the champion of the other 4 get in. The top 4 of the top 12 teams play the 4 championship teams of the smaller conferences in the playoffs. Similar to basketball. Then the 2s and 3s play each other. Winners of those games play in a regional. Then a final 4. Then an NC. Every conference is represented, and I guarantee you we see some upsets with those 4 within a 5 year trial period. It will be good for the sport, for the fan and for everyone involved.

Last edited:
The last thing these conferences need to do is get greedy when they have it so good. Tennessee is making millions the way it is right now and we suck. It is incredibly shortsighted, entitled dips*** leadership that got Tennessee into the losing situation in the first place and the situation as it is that has kept us alive at all. I see the other institutions being smarter and Tennessee doesn’t have much to say about anything anymore. We are an afterthought.

Regardless, there is money and power in business, academia and politics throughout the collectiveness of many of these schools and there is emphasis on education within the larger schools. The smaller schools have been trying to figure out how to crack the nut of competing on a national stage for sometime and a few have managed to get into the conversation. The last thing anyone wants to do is piss them ALL off and unite them and those who frankly could give a damn about sports.

If the larger conferences pull this stunt, there will be hell to pay. Interest in college sports will plummet across the board if they completely leave out the smaller schools; I can almost promise you lots of organizations and wealthy people—both grads from these big schools and from the smaller schools—will completely boycott these schools and take their interests, efforts and donations to the smaller schools and all you will have left are gutted universities with decent football programs that will fall apart soon after.

All this when a perfectly good solution is out there which is:

4 power conferences of 16 teams and 4 others of about the same if not more. The top 3 of the power 4 get in and the champion of the other 4 get in. The top for of the top 12 teams to to play 4 championship teams of the smaller conferences in the playoffs. Similar to basketball. Then the 2s and 3s play each other. Winners of those games play in a regional. Then a final 4. Then an NC. Every conference is represented, and I guarantee you we see some upsets with those 4 within a 5 year trial period. It will be good for the sport, for the fan and for everyone involved.
Too long

VN Store

Back